• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Vacations 2018 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Got a couple of trips lined up.

First up is Dorset for a couple of nights in February with OH.

I've been to Portland Bill before but not really anywhere else. The plan for day 1 is to head down and spend a few hours at Arne. Hopefully some Dartfords will be around.

Day 2 I'm hoping to get down to Labrador Bay (appreciate its in Devon) as Cirl Buntings would be a lifer. We've got a table booked for lunch at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's place in Axminster at lunchtime and after that it'll either be Lodmoor, or the bay by Portland. I'm following someone on Twitter who's posting some great photos of Divers/ grebes etc. in the Ferrybridge(?) area. Red-necked Grebe would be another lifer though I appreciate they're not always present.

Day 3 we'll be returning back to Wales but possibly going for a wander around Studland after breakfast.

Next up, in April, I'll be heading to Ardnamurchan with a bunch of friends. Have 5 nights there so will very much be concentrating on the Peninsula itself. Possibly heading over to Mull and Iona for Crakes/ Eagles etc. on one of the days. Will also take a look for the Black Duck at Strontian if it's still around. A boat trip up Loch Shiel may also be on the cards as I've really been enjoying reading Mike Tomkies books recently.

The cottage is in Polloch and has great walks from the from the front door. I've read and reread Gordon Hamlett's Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands - 1st and 2nd editions - in preparation. I can't recommend Gordon's book enough. Essential reading for any trip North of the border.

Last edited:
And lastly (for nowo:D) a family trip to Spain in July. We'll be based up the hills not too far from Nerja. We've stayed in the area before. Birding will be confined to from the side of the pool, and some early morning walks. Really enjoyed watching Woodchat Shrikes, Bee-eaters, Hoopoes, Short-toed Eagles etc. on our last visit. Not taking the scope but I'll try and grab some pics with the SX60 whilst there.

Day 2 I'm hoping to get down to Labrador Bay (appreciate its in Devon) as Cirl Buntings would be a lifer.

I recommend that you go to Broadsands for Cirl Bunting rather than Labrador Bay: its less effort once out of the car, less likelihood of slipping over on good red Devon mud as its flat, not steep; and better views with more certainty of scoring.

John

Day 2 I'm hoping to get down to Labrador Bay (appreciate its in Devon) as Cirl Buntings would be a lifer. We've got a table booked for lunch at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's place in Axminster at lunchtime and after that it'll either be Lodmoor, or the bay by Portland. I'm following someone on Twitter who's posting some great photos of Divers/ grebes etc. in the Ferrybridge(?) area. Red-necked Grebe would be another lifer though I appreciate they're not always present.

Sandsfoot Castle used to be a good spot from which to scan for Grebes etc in Portland Harbour.

Can wholeheartedly endorse John's recommendation re Broadsands. The attached was taken while standing next to the car in the car park there. Top spot, and beats the hell out of schlepping down to Prawle, like in the olden days!

Good luck, I look forward to the write-up.

EDIT - pic taken with SX60. Go get 'em tiger!

Attachments

• 230 Cirl Bunting, Brodsands 19-03-17.JPG
    230 Cirl Bunting, Brodsands 19-03-17.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Cheers John/James. That's exactly the advice I was hoping for. I've read about Sandsfoot Castle James. Sounds like a decent spot to scan. I'll keep an eye on RBA though in case a Red-necked turns up:t:

Rich

North end of the car park beyond the beach huts, where the seed is put down.

Take your camera!

John

Attachments

• 20170218 (6)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    20170218 (6)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170218 (18)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    20170218 (18)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170218 (19)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    20170218 (19)_Cirl_Bunting.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 67
I recommend that you go to Broadsands for Cirl Bunting rather than Labrador Bay: its less effort once out of the car, less likelihood of slipping over on good red Devon mud as its flat, not steep; and better views with more certainty of scoring.

John

On my only visit i saw them in the Car Park at Broadsands and at Labrador Bay and it was a %100 nicer watching them singing at Labrador than under feeders at the car park, though guess you would need a nice sunny day for that!! although you could look in on your way down to the car park!!

Cheers

On my only visit i saw them in the Car Park at Broadsands and at Labrador Bay and it was a %100 nicer watching them singing at Labrador than under feeders at the car park, though guess you would need a nice sunny day for that!! although you could look in on your way down to the car park!!

Cheers

Spookily I've just gone on Facebook and my memories is 3 years ago today watching cirl Buntimgs in Broadsands!!

Hi Rich.
See you managed to wangle another trip to bonnie Scotland. Despite what I said last year, I can go one better. Off to Mull mid May hopefully for the crakes on Iona that we missed last year for 3/4 days before moving on to Northumberland for Roseates. Then Much to my surprise OH declared that she hoped we were going back to Scotalnd again for our Summer Hols in June/July. Of course, as we have been there for the last two years, I felt obliged to suggest some alternatives, but as my heart was not really in it she won the day and we are off to Torridon near Applecross peninsula for a week and then on to the trossocks for the second week.8-P

Hope you have better luck with the Crakes than we did last year. We went last week in April but unfortunately due to two weeks solid of northerly winds (couldn't get up Cairngorm -road blocked by snow) leading up to the trip they had not arrived. Hopefully we will have better luck this time around if the flags have not grown too tall.

Look forward to hearing about your success.:t:

PS if going to Dorset don't forget to pop in for the Stilt Sandpiper.

Two trips! That's just greedy.o:D

Not been spent any time in the Trossachs but Torridon is one of my all time favourite places. Mid May should be decent as you say Paul. Vegetation not so high that you can't see the buggers:-O

Dorset is next week and I'm really hopeful that we can still go. Accommodation has been booked but we've got a family issue and as I always say - family comes first. I've let my RBA subscription slide but will have it back before next week. Stilt Sandpiper would be a lifer:t: We're staying by Arne so it would only be a short drive.

My boys said they wanted to go back to Scotland so next year we'll have at least a week there. My 10 year old wants to go for the seafood, and my 7 year old wants to see a Caper, and have some pies from the Highland Bakery in Grantown. The apple doesn't fall far:-O They're exactly like their mother:smoke:

Hope your trips go well Paul.

Rich

We're heading back to Mull for Easter week. As we have the cottage from Easter Saturday from 4 p.m. I've booked an extra night staying on Ardnamrchan so can spend Good Friday on the peninsular ��

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back