• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Vacations 2018 (2 Viewers)

Taken from Wiki

"The Vizsla's medium size is one of the breed's most appealing characteristics as a hunter of fowl and upland game"

perhaps he will help you to finally sniff out that Caper:-O

Seriously though a great choice for a family with youngsters. They can be boisterous but very tolerant. Great name but not I presume after the late Mr Holly - (music with Rocks In!). That was one of my daughters short list of musically connected names for her new Huskey/staffie cross along with Ozzy, Bruce, Dylan, Axel amongst others. She finally settled on Marley (Bob). For obvious reasons stated above Slash was very quickly eliminated from the pool.

Taken from Wiki

"The Vizsla's medium size is one of the breed's most appealing characteristics as a hunter of fowl and upland game"

perhaps he will help you to finally sniff out that Caper:-O

Seriously though a great choice for a family with youngsters. They can be boisterous but very tolerant. Great name but not I presume after the late Mr Holly - (music with Rocks In!). That was one of my daughters short list of musically connected names for her new Huskey/staffie cross along with Ozzy, Bruce, Dylan, Axel amongst others. She finally settled on Marley (Bob). For obvious reasons stated above Slash was very quickly eliminated from the pool.
:-OI like Marley. Wasn't it Buddy Celyn in Music with Rocks In though?:h?:

I need all the help I can get with Capers:t:

Buddy will be arriving on the 16th of June:t: As a bonus I managed to completely avoid anything to do with the wedding today. :t:

Don't know if he'll be old enough to go to Norfolk over the New Year but he'll definitely be coming to Scotland next SpringB :)

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Alcaucin- Costa Del Sol

So we arrived at Malaga Airport on Saturday afternoon. Picked up the hire car (upgraded to an Infinti Q30) and set off. As always, when initially driving on the "wrong" side of the road my focus was completely on the driving. The children were asked not to repeat any of my expletives :-O

As such, I didn't pick out any birds of note other than some green parakeets (Monk Parakeets?). The villa is very comfortable and is great for 2 families sharing.

I'll add some more photos when I get home.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_100.jpg
    IMG_100.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Sounds good Rich, where are you staying?! We stayed at La Cala de Mijas in June, Monk Parakeets were present there along with plenty of Spotless Starlings. Also check the Swifts - saw plenty of Pallid there (but Common were also about)!

Chris

Sunday morning we had a 20 minute stroll down from the Villa and were rewarded with a great view of a Booted Eagle.

Unfortunately we then had a conversation with a nearby Villa owner (Austrian maybe?) who used some very discriminatory language in front of my mates 10 year old. I appreciate English wasn't his first language but there certain words that are just unacceptable. We had a long conversation with Theo afterwards explaining about tolerance and diversity etc.

Next, Paul and myself headed into the local town (Torre Del Mar) for a big supermarket shop. Of course we'd completely forgotten about Sunday opening hours:-C so we headed back stopping at Embalsa de la Vinuela. Some Larks on the shore here but we're too quick for my ID skills. A fisherman was having a great time catching Mirror Carp after Mirror Carp. Some Terrapins were also just off the shoreline.

From here we headed up the A-402 and stopped at the head of the pass. On the cliffs opposite were a couple of Spanish Ibex (Cheers John)and by the car park was a Black Wheatear

Now we headed back to Alcaucin for a San Miguel and stopped at a local restaurant (Restaurante Meson El Ciervo) where they had a leg of pork roasting on a spit. Well... that was lunch sorted:eat::-O And delicious it was too.

The temperature is about 35 degrees so we chilled out in the pool for the rest of the day.

Rich

Sounds good Rich, where are you staying?! We stayed at La Cala de Mijas in June, Monk Parakeets were present there along with plenty of Spotless Starlings. Also check the Swifts - saw plenty of Pallid there (but Common were also about)!

Chris

Hi Chris. Thanks for the confirmation on the parakeets. We're about a 1.5 mile stroll out of Alcaucin. It's a beautiful area. We had Palids today as well as Red-rumped Swallows etc. Did you have Crag Martins btw?

Rich

Hi Rich,

No Crag Martins at all, despite spending nearly a week based at Ronda! We did have plenty of Alpine Swifts though!

Chris

Well fortunately it's not often that trip reports finish like this. I can't recommend the area as last night, whilst we were all sleeping, the house was broken in to. Fortunately, only Euros were taken from my mates wallet in the kitchen. No iPads or phones were taken - my Bins and camera were on the kitchen table next to the wallet. No credit cards were taken.

Worryingly, they've fixed the patio doors (cut the lock which would easily be missed) so that they can come back. We're waiting for the owners to come and fix things. It's unlikely we'll be leaving the villa until we leave.

Rich

What a nightmare Rich, I really feel for you and the family! Try not to let it spoil the rest of your holiday Mate! (Easier said than done I know, especially if your better half is anything like mine)!

Chris

That sounds awful. its one thing being burgled while away but I imagine very frightening, especially with young children, to find that you had been broken into whilst asleep on the premises.

I am actually surprised that more holiday let cottages are not regularly broken into though as we all have ready cash, cameras, I-pads, optics etc when on holiday. A friend of mine once had a static caravan on the east coast and that was a regular target of local ne'er do wells.

Glad to hear that you did not lose anything too valuable, or even worse passports. The latter is often a target for thieves as they can fetch good money on the black market apparently.

So sorry to read this Rich.
Thankfully,you are all well and It was only Euros that was their target.Have the Guarda Civil helped In anyway ?

Cheers Ian. We were told they’re not likely to show much interest so haven’t reported it yet.

Had to wait in all day for the fella to come to fix the security shutter and patio door.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back