• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers in Agadir area of Morocco - March, 2019 (1 Viewer)

BobbyJim

Hi,
I have just about identified all the birds I photographed in Morocco with the exception of some warblers. The first two photos are of the same bird and were taken at a small riverside oasis between Agadir and Paradise Valley. The third and fourth photos are both of a bird seen at Oued Souss.
I wondered if some kind soul could put me out of my misery again. I have considered Western Olivaceous Warbler but remain unconvinced.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1(a) (Copy).JPG
    1(a) (Copy).JPG
    239 KB · Views: 134
  • 1(b) (Copy).JPG
    1(b) (Copy).JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 3(a) (Copy).JPG
    3(a) (Copy).JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 3(b) (Copy).JPG
    3(b) (Copy).JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for the help. I can see that you are no doubt right. I think I was hoping for something a little more exotic and unusual. I did, however, see numerous greenfinches, robins and blackbirds, so why not chiffchaff?

Certainly no Olivaceous Warbler among them. However, I'm not sure if Iberian Chiffchaff can be ruled out...

Me neither...

Having been in that area of Morocco this March, I am aware that we saw a number of Iberian Chiffchaffs. Certainly Photo 2 (although I think all are the same bird) looks like an Iberian to me, certainly would have been a candidate to look more carefully at.

Well the face pattern is surely pointing to WW with that long supercilium. But note also the strong bill and white belly, especially in the 2nd pic (good WW jizz there too).
And something that I find particularly helpful sometimes is the position of the P3 emargination: in WW it is situated quite far from the primary coverts compared to chiffchaff. Again this is well visible in the 2nd pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back