• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Actually, given the fact that the winds were still increasing as I left at 1000, you may well benefit from them today.
There was one other bird that I didn't make a call on or mention in the log, as I was solo, but I think it was a Harrier of sorts. I only got something on it late as it flew high over the pools from NW to SE.
One of the Grey Wags landed for a split second. Three Juv LBBGs (or are they Herrings) made a complete nuisance of themselves all morning. It was so windy that this Heron that landed on the pipe island couldn't stand up in its normal stance. But, the Snipe (even if my count was a little on the conservative side) were showing well.
BTW, there's a hosepipe ban you know! Can we have our water back please mister?

Here are a few shots from a somewhat non-productive but enjoyable as ever day...

Attachments

• Grey Wag.jpg
    Grey Wag.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Juv LBBG.jpg
    Juv LBBG.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Depth Gauge.jpg
    Depth Gauge.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 151
This is the site of your work today.
I see we're having two new islands, John. The Lapwings seem to be enjoying the unplanned one!

Attachments

• 2nd island.jpg
    2nd island.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 152
  • W.I.P.jpg
    W.I.P.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 133
Went to my first work party today at Upton and had a lot of fun, we got a lot of work done digging and creating a new island.

Also birding highlights included 2 Jack Snipe, 4 Raven and 2 Siskin over

A great effort at the work party today, thanks to everyone there and especially to the two new members Tim and Dave. (see I told you I wouldn't work you that hard and you lived to tell the tale).

Dug out the two channels that had dried out - now full of water and barrowed to the new island

The Island is now taking shape, a little more work on the levels of the soil and then shingle goes on - should be finished next month. job done

At the Moors this morning everything was singing or calling. Including 3 Water rail, 3 Grey Wagtail, 3 Cettis Warbler , 2 Chiffchaff. As well as Jack Snipe along the west side two Bitterns perched high up the reed stems. Also a couple of swallows

Cheers John

I saw one of the bitterns in the North Moors pool over the weekend. Got some dodgy pics, though the view was obscured by shrubbery growing above the line of the reeds. Probably be better in the winter when the leaves have gone?

Saturday, it was in there when I arrived, and I saw it before leaving, at about 5pm. Flew towards the hide and into the reeds close to the road. Sunday, we saw it land in the reeds at midday, then it remained hidden until 4pm (yes, I waited that long for the sod to come out again) when it climbed between the patches of reeds, somewhat clumsily!

Also interesting to see the cormorants fishing in the same area, actually swimming into the reeds to catch fish.

Lovely views of the jack snipes on Saturday.

For the photo boys, The curlews were in the field behind the concrete hide on Sunday - very close aswell. Not sure if they were close enough c40 yards for the average lense, but I'm sure some of those bazookas will do the job.
cheers John

Yeah - saw them as well, but they were a little too far for my lens at the time. They were also seen following the tractor - maybe they have been watching the gulls? ;)

Well done the workers!
I look forward to seeing the evidence of your toils when I get back from Germany later in the week.
Normal place normal time, Saturday.

Aha its the channel at the flashes directly in front of the main hide, we nicknamed it timmys channel as I was the one who opened it up and let the water in!

well seen avocet+ 3 young in there before,multiple green sandpiper,snipe,common sand and i have heard earlier in the year a pair of redshanks attempted to nest there(unsucsessfully)

on saturday,went ot the moors to again try for the bittern and with a few jack snipe there over the week too,i thought it would be a good idea,just to sum it up,we scraped togeter a few things,from the bittern hide a kingfisher perched for a long time on the perch nd water gage.i alone went into the water rail hide,and what did i see but a water rail,at close quarters too,just a shame it was too dark to get photos,3 water rail shown from the hide,a few teal 2 little grebe,were also noted,in the ducks there was 3 pochard,a curlew was in the field behind the hide,
like i said it was quiet again and again no sign of the bittern.grrrrrr:-C
MB

Sorry MB you had bad luck again at Upton but you have had some good times this year, keep trying mate.

Spent 12 hours at upton 7am till 7pm
Visible Migration
A lot of passerines on the move early am (8 till 9) several flocks of Redwing totalling 300 or so. Meadow Pipit c20, Grey Wags 3, Skylark 6, Yellowhammer, Greenfinch c50, Reed Bunting c25, Chiffchaff, Starling c150.
Waders - Green Sand 6, Dunlin, Jack Snipe 2, Snipe 35 and Curlew 20,
Lapwing 384
Ducks - Teal 120, Shoveler 40,
Other highlights were - Bittern, Cettis Warbler 5 singing, Raven 2, Stock Dove c70 and A Med Gull roosted tonight at the Flashes

cheers John

i will keep trying untill the bittern shows and i will be happy when it does,im very happy with what the warren has produced for me this year eg. bittern(yes i have seen them this year),jack snipe,whitefront,pintail,gropper,cuckoo,whimbrel,garganey,sanderling,red necked phalarope,little egret,wood sand,spotted crake,med gull,sabine's gull,multiple black tern,little stint,whinchat,barnicle goose,
makes my mouth water just thinking about them!!
i know not upton warren but also had a large scale movement of meadow pipits over lickhill(stourport),had 150c over and about 50 grounded,and the main passage time was 10-11:30,and the load of light rain showers brought down a stonechat(1st for lickhill for ages),bit odd but i had 7 sand martin over at about 12:45,just my phones battery went dead,so couldent get the news out.
its not all that bad
nice birds at upton john
MB

I spent a couple of hours at UW yesterday afternoon. A lone snipe from the Bittern Hide, feeding on the grass in front, and a water rail skulking about. The kf flew by a couple of times.

Then moved to the North Moors (Hobby) hide, where after a couple of hours of watching grey herons, cormorants, lt tits and another water rail, the bittern made a brief appearance again.

Could someone (being cheeky here) trim the shrubs to the left of the left-hand channel from this hide? They obscure the view across to the opposite reedbed, and this section is where the bittern has been seen recently. TIA.

I failed to see any jack snipes this time.

Could someone (being cheeky here) trim the shrubs to the left of the left-hand channel from this hide? They obscure the view across to the opposite reedbed, and this section is where the bittern has been seen recently. TIA.

I failed to see any jack snipes this time.

Hi Pete
If you are around tomorrow (Tues) have a word with Gordon they have their work parties at the Moors then. I'm sure he will accomodate you. If not when I see him i will have a word or I'll do it myself on Thursday.
cheers John

Cheers John - unfortunately I'm in Manchester on business tomorrow, so can't ask then. No doubt as soon as it's clipped back, the bittern will start favouring somewhere else on the reserve! :)

yeah somewhere where i can see it:-O
Hi MB
Best time seems to be in the morning (9 am ish) from the East hide look across the main pool in the top of the reeds to the right (north) of the concrete (small) hide and the other bird is to the left of the feeding station hide in the sluice area. Both birds climb to the top of the reeds or reed mace and are very well camouflaged looking like shed bullrush heads.
cheers John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back