• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

It’s not just Mips, since and including last Sunday...Starlings,Thrushes,Chaffinches and Lapwings + a Golden Plover the same direction. :eek!:

Most of the passage here has been NW for sometime too, regardless of wind direction- or no wind.

Most of the passage here has been NW for sometime too, regardless of wind direction- or no wind.

All compass points this am, a circa quad digit thirty second stream of Woodies “high SSW, followed by two Mistle Thrush East, c50 Redwing West, then smaller isolated groups of Woodies at lower elevation heading NNE, throw in my first returning (to the feeders) Siskin (3)....and it’s livened up the day!

You're getting too close Jasper!...I'll have to try harder.;)

I think it is going to be close Ken, but I'd do well to catch you. There's a few in the area that I've seen on walks from home, but not yet in the garden, so I'm ever hopeful. We have snow on the ground and the lake is starting to freeze though - early winter conditions this year.

BUT. We did just have 82 Northern Goshawk land outside the window! Oh my. Immature bird, trying to outwit the local red squirrel population. It failed this time, but what a treat! Takes my all time garden list to 103. Sad for the squirrels, but really hoping to see it again!

I think it is going to be close Ken, but I'd do well to catch you. There's a few in the area that I've seen on walks from home, but not yet in the garden, so I'm ever hopeful. We have snow on the ground and the lake is starting to freeze though - early winter conditions this year.

BUT. We did just have 82 Northern Goshawk land outside the window! Oh my. Immature bird, trying to outwit the local red squirrel population. It failed this time, but what a treat! Takes my all time garden list to 103. Sad for the squirrels, but really hoping to see it again!

A great bird for the garden Jasper!....I would love one of those close in. I get Sprawk occasionally even in front of window, however a Gos would be most unlikely that close, but then one should never....say never. :t:

A great bird for the garden Jasper!....I would love one of those close in. I get Sprawk occasionally even in front of window, however a Gos would be most unlikely that close, but then one should never....say never. :t:

I've seen them locally a couple of times over the last few years, and always hoped to see one flying over at some point. Last month there were 2 together along a woodland ridge, which I think would have been viewable from home had I been ther, but this was a real thrill.
I had been wondering which predator would turn up first, there are 7 red squirrels hanging out under our feeders, and a fair number of greys too - and they are all noisy!

Great photo Jos! Hoping I'll get one myself sometime soon.

Turns out the red-tailed hawk was more successful. I watched two soaring way over the house, and thought they had past by, then a rocket went past the window!
Although I've seen them flying past, and perched on the ridge I can see from the house, this is the first one I've seen in the garden.

Attachments

• Rocket.jpg
    Rocket.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Two red tails.jpg
    Two red tails.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 9
Grey-headed Woodpecker was a new feeder tick for me the other day as well as being the first in Russia having never even heard it here before.

Grey-headed Woodpecker was a new feeder tick for me the other day as well as being the first in Russia having never even heard it here before.

Got three Grey-headed Woodpeckers at my feeders at present, though generally moderately low activity in general due to mildness. Was minus 4 this morning, maybe will up the activity.

Got three Grey-headed Woodpeckers at my feeders at present, though generally moderately low activity in general due to mildness. Was minus 4 this morning, maybe will up the activity.

Very mild here too, +5 to + 7 all week last week, not dropped below freezing at all really apart from the odd night.

November is turning up to be quite active here. We snuck up into positive temperatures for a couple of hours this afternoon, and we sat outside for a bit - perfect for spotting a small flock of 83 Evening Grosbeak flying over. This is one I was hoping for having seen them nearby. Still hopeful they find the feeders at some point!
Again new for the garden, taking me to 104.

Hmmm, reaching 90 this year would be good, never mind 104!!
Still, managed an addition for the year this morning, the masses of apples and pears lying around attracted some Blackbirds, tagging along were at least four

85 Redwing

uncommon hereabouts, though higher than average numbers have been passing down the Rhône valley south of Geneva this autumn.

Attachments

• G mauvis 19.11.2018.jpg
    G mauvis 19.11.2018.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 19
84 Northern Shrike
One that I hadn't realised I'd missed last winter, but apparently haven't had one in the garden since march 2017. This immature bird kindly announced itself by coming to investigate the upstairs window, staring straight in at me!

Well, this morning a few Redwings passed my window, along with a similar-sized bird WITH A STRIPED UNDERWING!!

Didn't see anything to give it an id - but can I add one for an unknown!?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back