• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

Nice pictures, Jabberwocky. Very envious of that Tawny Wave.

13/09 was a more interesting night. 49 moths of 23 species. New for garden was Lunar Underwing. A few returning moths not seen for a while were Ruby Tiger, Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner, Old Lady, Wax Moth and the lovely Oncocera semirubella (Rhubard and Custard). Biggest count was 7 Setaceous Hebrew Characters.
Temperature higher tonight but still clear, so hopeful for more moths. Then possibly some warmer cloudy nights if the phone app is correct. Fingers crossed for us all.
I've got a Robinson Twin Actinic coming on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Robinson MV. I'm hoping they will between them attract a better range of moths. It will be interesting to see how it goes with both running.

Nice pictures, Jabberwocky. Very envious of that Tawny Wave.

Thanks. To get a Tawny Wave you either have to live in the right area or get very lucky indeed. Even though I live in Breckland it's still not guaranteed!

Good luck with your actinic, I've been thinking of doing something similar but it would be another home made effort like my MV. I'll be interested to see how your catch compares.

Lewis

14/09. A good night for the garden list, whilst only 41 moths of 20 species, three new for the garden. Orange Sallow (a reasonable moth for round here), Brown-spot Pinion and Cypress Pug (I've two large Lawson's, so was hoping for that one). Gold Triangle, Box Tree, Lunar Underwing, Dusky Thorn, Centre-barred Sallow, Copper Underwing in the pretty dept. Sq-spot Rustic the winner with 9.
A mail from the county recorder is predicting goods things for the lucky with winds from S Europe and local reports of some good moths last night both in Herts and coastal.
Now only 2 to get for 400. I'm planning an elaborate celebration possibly involving a biscuit and glass of fruit juice.

14/09. A good night for the garden list, whilst only 41 moths of 20 species, three new for the garden. Orange Sallow (a reasonable moth for round here), Brown-spot Pinion and Cypress Pug (I've two large Lawson's, so was hoping for that one). Gold Triangle, Box Tree, Lunar Underwing, Dusky Thorn, Centre-barred Sallow, Copper Underwing in the pretty dept. Sq-spot Rustic the winner with 9.
A mail from the county recorder is predicting goods things for the lucky with winds from S Europe and local reports of some good moths last night both in Herts and coastal.
Now only 2 to get for 400. I'm planning an elaborate celebration possibly involving a biscuit and glass of fruit juice.

Is that a combined Macro / Micro list?

I'm at 364 but rarely check Micros.

I was leading a couple of wildlife walks around Perivale Park, west London this afternoon. As I looked for dragonflies around the largest pond a small moth disturbed from the emergent vegetation but settled at the base of an isolated stem. Looking through my bins I was really surprised to see it was a Vestal. My first London/Middx record! In fact my only UK sightings have previously been on Scilly & one at Dungeness, probably more expected locations,though have seen many in southern Spain.

Earlier in the afternoon a Painted Lady turned up in my front garden-only my 5th this year, so perhaps both crossed during the last day or so.

Excellent!

I've only seen one on the Scillies once I think ... that is until about 9:30 last night - popped out to see how the trap was doing - Copper Underwing next to and a Shuttle-shaped Dart on the trap good for variety until this thing started flying around me.

Pretty faint lines, took it back outside rather than leave it in the fridge overnight for a better photo opportunity (no sign in the morning of course).

Attachments

• Vestal.jpg
    Vestal.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
13/9 morning trap list:

Massive total (for me) of 116 moths - but only 11 species! 43 Square-spot Rustics were trailed by 25 Box-tree Moths and 26 Large Yellow Underwings. Other than those, 2 Dusky and 1 September Thorns were best of the rest.

I skipped 14/9 mainly because I got home late and couldn't be bothered to set up the egg-boxes.

15/9 A slightly lower total of 83 moths but at least there were 17 species and Lunar Underwing was a year tick. Top numbers were 27 Square-spot Rustics and 24 Box Tree Moths with Large Yellow Underwing crashing to 6. Only 1 Willow Beauty but it was superbly fresh and well marked, delightful. A Copper Underwing, Grey Pine Carpet and 7 Oak Hook-tips brought up the rear interest-wise.

I notice there were a couple of widely spread Death's Heads last night, one inland.....

John

So last night 14th. Started checking around 6:30am. 107 of 22.

Large Yellow Underwing led the way of course with 44, followed by 14 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 12 Square Spot Rustic and 11 Flounced Rustic. Everything else in singletons or doubles. Plus 4 Micros.

Including checking last night, new were -

Vestal 1 NFG
Autumnal Rustic 1 NFG
Burnished Brass 1 NFG

Different to previous night were 2 Copper Underwing, 1 Angle Shades (rather fresh, first since the 2nd) and 2 Smoky Wainscot (first in September) with 2 Black Rustic and 1 Frosted Orange etc continuing the autumn.

Last edited:
A couple more ticks for me from last night, Old Lady & Lunar Underwing, in amongst the 43 moths of 14 species. Common Marbled Carpet again the most numerous with 11, Large Yellow Underwing and Dusky Thorn equal second with 5 apiece. Everything else very run of the mill.

Attachments

• IMG_5897.JPG
    IMG_5897.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5982.JPG
    IMG_5982.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 8
A decent night in rural Surrey last night; in total order Dusky Thorn 10, Centre barred Sallow 7, Oak Hook Tip 5, Lunar Underwing 5, September Thorn 5, Large Yellow Underwing 2, Light Emerald 2, Lesser YU 1, Broad bordered YU 1, Brimstone 1, Rosy Footman 1, Barred Hook-tip 1 (below) and Heath Rustic 1 (below)

Very warm here this evening back in urban Hants so fingers crossed

Attachments

• Barred Hook-tip (2).jpg
    Barred Hook-tip (2).jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Heath Rustic.jpg
    Heath Rustic.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi Andy
That total is all moths (macros and micros).

I've just reached the 400th moth for the garden.
I had a Large Ranunculus (399) and that was followed 15 minutes later by a Deep-brown Dart (400). I couldn't think of a more boring moth for 400 (knocks some of the fun out of it).
Off to celebrate with that biscuit.

15/09. Last night produced 3 more new moths for the garden.
A Large Ranunculus off the wall, was the first. I thought it was something else till I took a photograph on the phone, as it was high up. But I potted it for a better look when I realised it was better. Nicely covered in yellow spots and quite large in size.That was 399.
Then 400 arrived, also off the wall. A Deep-brown Dart. What a boring moth for 400, a dull brown thing. By the end of the night I had 3 of them in total. Anyway, the massive planned celebration took place with an oat and honey biscuit and tropical fruit juice. I know how to have a good time. (This was the only biscuit type available at the time).
401 was Eudonia pallida.
Unexpected was a Bombardier Beetle. These were rare but apparently are increasing according to my coleopterist friend.
Overall 84 of 26 species.Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner was the biggest catch at 18. Everything else was what we would all expect now. I've got about 6 very very small micros in the fridge that are well beyond my abilities I suspect, but will check them tonight.
No fantastic continental rarities sadly.

Finally got Copper Underwing NFY this morning, plus a puzzling micro that has turned out to be a lifer, Epinotia immundana.
Otherwise pretty standard fare in a catch of 73 moths of 18 species.

Steve

Common Marbled Carpet remains top for numbers with 13, followed by 9 Lesser and 6 Large Yellow Underwings. A gorgeous Pink-barred Sallow was the only tick, first Straw Dot for over a month, first Flame Shoulder for almost a month and two each of Dusky & Canary-shouldered Thorn best of the rest. 47 moths of 13 species all told.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6017.JPG
    IMG_6017.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 8
157 of 18 here last night, a new third highest total (macros, think there was 1 micro).

97 of them were Large yellow Underwing of course, followed by 30 Setaceous Hebrew Character and then 8 Square Spot Rustic.

Most interesting was first Lunar Underwing NFG, 2 Dark Sword Grass (first in September), a single Black Rustic, Large Ranunculus and probably the same Burnished Brass.

I suspect this is a Suspected but would appreciate confirmation. Otherwise nothing unexpected last night

Attachments

• Suspected.jpg
    Suspected.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back