Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Today, 12:04   #701
binomania

Hi from Italy
This morning, I finally went to the lake to go bird watching. I think I have found the best setting for me. Just two clicks of the eyecups eyepiece and
i have to be slightly detached from the face. In this case I notice the glare, less. I took the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 field pro with me.
My impressions are:
NL Pure is sharper and more contrasted, the seagulls are "really" white, in the EL there is a warmer tone. Lateral chromatism in inferior. The chromatic abberation on the axis is almost irrelevant, almost non-existent, except for some rare moments against the light. In short, I repeat it.The NL PURE gives me the best views. Compared to the "old" EL, I can see more glare, but the overall vision of the NL PURE is unmatched. Maybe I see less of it in the EL because I "wear" it better. With the NL Pure I had to struggle a bit to find the exact setting There is obviously no match for field of views, ergonomics, focus accuracy (excellent snap test) and its lightness (It weighs more than the Zeiss SF but is much better balanced than the EL). Ultimately I would give it a nice 9/10 which would become a 10/10 if they fixed the problem mentioned by many...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pier.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	738478  Click image for larger version

Name:	pier2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	738479  
If you want, subscribe to my youtube channel
Old Today, 12:10   #702
Uhu74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
That's good news. I believe you are speaking about the 8x42.
Hi Peter, my NL is a 10x42. I don't know if there is a big difference in glare control between the 8x and 10x NL.
Old Today, 15:21   #703
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
I don`t think its fair to compare the Genesis 8x33 to an NL8x42 even just trying to make a point, its 1/3rd of the price.

You can never have too much fov I agree, but many other factors are of equal or more importance to many myself included, and frankly 8 deg in an 8x is a sweet spot anyway IMHO.

I find it hard to believe that removing the glare would compromise the view, what`s difficult about blackening the inside efficiently ?

I`v come to expect when I buy Leica I`ll have simply the best available material quality but C/A - when I buy Zeiss I`ll have slightly below par quality control - when I buy Swarovski there`ll probably be glare.

Good to have a choice though.
"I don't think it's fair to compare the Genesis 8x33 to an NL8x42 even just trying to make a point, its 1/3rd of the price."

In your thread on the Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x33 you said the Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x33 could be compared to the alphas and were in the alpha league and I quote.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=389815

"They are Doug, what amazes me is that you have to compare them to binoculars at twice or more the price"

" I guess to summarize, the Kowa may be at the bottom of the Alpha 32 mm league, but I do believe it to be very much in that league rather than the league below, and at the price I find that extraordinary."
For me, and I`ve owned pretty much everything but the Noctivid, and can only compare the 33 Genesis, what is remarkable is IMHO they can be compared to 32 mm SV, UVHD+, Victory Fl and Edg rather than Meostar Cl etc, other people may have a very different opinion of course."

"And that is a real shame, I was using it last evening watching Cuckoos and Restarts and not for one second did I feel I was missing out in relation to my SF."

Last edited by [email protected] : Today at 15:29.
Old Today, 15:40   #704
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"I don't think it's fair to compare the Genesis 8x33 to an NL8x42 even just trying to make a point, its 1/3rd of the price."

In your thread on the Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x33 you said the Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x33 could be compared to the alphas and were in the alpha league and I quote.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=389815

"They are Doug, what amazes me is that you have to compare them to binoculars at twice or more the price"

" I guess to summarize, the Kowa may be at the bottom of the Alpha 32 mm league, but I do believe it to be very much in that league rather than the league below, and at the price I find that extraordinary."
For me, and I`ve owned pretty much everything but the Noctivid, and can only compare the 33 Genesis, what is remarkable is IMHO they can be compared to 32 mm SV, UVHD+, Victory Fl and Edg rather than Meostar Cl etc, other people may have a very different opinion of course."

"And that is a real shame, I was using it last evening watching Cuckoos and Restarts and not for one second did I feel I was missing out in relation to my SF."

Yes, twice the price 32mm Alpha`s, not the latest five years in development 42mm offering.

The Kowa is an old design but its never going to compare directly to any 42mm Alpha.
Old Today, 15:49   #705
zzzzzz

Interested in your overall impressions of Zeiss SF 8x32 vs NL 8x42

Quote:
Originally Posted by binomania View Post
Hi from Italy
This morning, I finally went to the lake to go bird watching. I think I have found the best setting for me. Just two clicks of the eyecups eyepiece and
i have to be slightly detached from the face. In this case I notice the glare, less. I took the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 field pro with me.
My impressions are:
NL Pure is sharper and more contrasted, the seagulls are "really" white, in the EL there is a warmer tone. Lateral chromatism in inferior. The chromatic abberation on the axis is almost irrelevant, almost non-existent, except for some rare moments against the light. In short, I repeat it.The NL PURE gives me the best views. Compared to the "old" EL, I can see more glare, but the overall vision of the NL PURE is unmatched. Maybe I see less of it in the EL because I "wear" it better. With the NL Pure I had to struggle a bit to find the exact setting There is obviously no match for field of views, ergonomics, focus accuracy (excellent snap test) and its lightness (It weighs more than the Zeiss SF but is much better balanced than the EL). Ultimately I would give it a nice 9/10 which would become a 10/10 if they fixed the problem mentioned by many...
Old Today, 16:33   #706
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzz View Post
Interested in your overall impressions of Zeiss SF 8x32 vs NL 8x42
Piergiovanni said in his unboxing video that he is preparing a comparative review of the NL 8x42, EL 8.5x42, Zeiss SF 8x42 and Leica Noctivid 8x42. I don't think he'll include the SF 8x32 in this comparison for obvious reasons.
Old Today, 17:23   #707
dries1

Piergiovanni,

That looks like a nice location for that wide FOV.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Today, 17:42   #708
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Yes, twice the price 32mm Alpha`s, not the latest five years in development 42mm offering.

The Kowa is an old design but its never going to compare directly to any 42mm Alpha.
"Yes, twice the price 32mm Alpha`s, not the latest five years in development 42 mm offering. The Kowa is an old design but it's never going to compare directly to any 42 mm Alpha."

Especially, probably the best alpha on the planet!
Old Today, 17:46   #709
[email protected]

Has anybody noticed how CLEAR the new NL is? I mean it takes optical clarity to a new level. When I look through it, it is like there is not any glass between me and the bird. I have never seen such a CLEAR binocular.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: