• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

I`m a little in awe of those who have opted to get an NL before ever trying one, the opinions of forum members is good reading but I`ll wait til I have a good chance to try them and the new 32mm SF.

I`m with Globetrotter on how well the SF manages stray light, If the NL really does have a glare problem I`m saddened at the price.

In an era of near zero (or less) rates, I think people are smart to buy what looks to be a superior product from a well regarded supplier before the MBAs have a chance to 'value enhance' it.

Just a thought. Isn't realize predominantly used in North America rather than the UK? ;)

Yes, that is true but the zed/zee spelling is the original -- Authorized Bible, baptize, etc -- and the s version is from French, which has no z. The z is still recognized and preferred by the Oxford English Dictionary. The rot set in when the Times newpaper gave in after too many of their journalists were unable to tell between words that must have s (advertise, chastise are two) and those that could have z or s (authorize, organize, and so on). So they and most civil institutions use s almost universally. Prince Charles sticks to z and there was an episode of Inspector Morse where an academic's use of z played a crucial part in throwing out false evidence (it had s).

I'm British but greatly admire the US ability to preserve traditions so much better than we do on the European side of the Atlantic.

I did wonder how long it would be before someone picked up on that!

Tom

Last edited:
Yes, that is true but the zed/zee spelling is the original -- Authorized Bible, baptize, etc -- and the s version is from French, which has no z. The z is still recognized and preferred by the Oxford English Dictionary. The rot set in when the Times newpaper gave in after too many of their journalists were unable to tell between words that must have s (advertise, chastise are two) and those that could have z or s (authorize, organize, and so on). So they and most civil institutions use s almost universally. Prince Charles sticks to z and there was an episode of Inspector Morse where an academic's use of z played a crucial part in throwing out false evidence (it had s).

I'm British but greatly admire the US ability to preserve traditions so much better than we do on the European side of the Atlantic.

Tom

Zacre Bleu! You are blaming the French? And why not? They are part of our hiztory and our zocial millieu. Az for the Americanz, do they know how to zpell
Mizzizzippi or Zazkatchewan?

Zorry. Blame it on 5 monthz lock-down :king:

Lee

Tom

Tom

Very enlightening indeed. I've often wondered why we Brits changed to using the letter "S". I remember the episode of Morse when this was discussed and indeed, he said it should be "Z" and not "S"

You are of course overlooking a long list of (deliberately) coarsened spellings like color, defense, center, check (for -que), catalog, and my personal peeve, gray...

You are of course overlooking a long list of (deliberately) coarsened spellings like color, defense, center, check (for -que), catalog, and my personal peeve, gray...

I don't mind them myself though I don't use them. Coarsened spellings: this is foreign to me (that was accidental by the way - foreign, that is) but let's take the spelling 'odor'; in Britain we do write deodorant not deodourant, so the US position is at least in that instance more consistent. I will look up to find out how the spellings you list came about; my assumption probably wrongly was that they were mostly older spellings that survived in America but not in Britain.

I'm a bit of a language bore; I turned to binoculars to make myself more interesting ;-)

The thing for me about the z is that it is the right letter for the sound and also the original letter if we go back to Greek -ιζω / -ιζειν. I expect it will die out on the British side of the pond but Lee is doing his best to bring about a revival. As a Zeissman he knows the blue logo already spells Zeiss with three zeds, two of them back to front.

Tom

The thing for me about the z is that it is the right letter for the sound and also the original letter if we go back to Greek -ιζω / -ιζειν. I expect it will die out on the British side of the pond but Lee is doing his best to bring about a revival. As a Zeissman he knows the blue logo already spells Zeiss with three zeds, two of them back to front.

Tom

Meanwhile we had better return to the world of binocularz or I will need to give myzelf a zlap around the head for drifting off topic.

Lee

As soon as somebody is able to compare the Zeiss SF 8x32 to the Swarovski NL 8x42 I would like to know which one handles glare better.

Why not buy both Dennis?;)
You can carry both, and when one exhibits glare, you can switch to the other one :-O

I'm eagerly waiting for the NL to make it to the stores, the EL10x50 has been sold already and is waiting for a replacement.
Astronomy went down a notch, and we go hiking more often lately, so a 8 or 10x42 will suit me better.
The 10x50 however is by far the nicest bin I have ever owned up to now. Unfortunately it turned out to be uncomfortable for hiking.

I hope the NL can make up for it. Otherwise I might go Zeiss;)

Why not buy both Dennis?;)
You can carry both, and when one exhibits glare, you can switch to the other one :-O

I'm eagerly waiting for the NL to make it to the stores, the EL10x50 has been sold already and is waiting for a replacement.
Astronomy went down a notch, and we go hiking more often lately, so a 8 or 10x42 will suit me better.
The 10x50 however is by far the nicest bin I have ever owned up to now. Unfortunately it turned out to be uncomfortable for hiking.

I hope the NL can make up for it. Otherwise I might go Zeiss;)
The NL is only 5 oz. lighter than the EL 10x50 so you are not gaining much, whereas, the Zeiss SF 8x32 would be almost a pound less. When you are hiking as you often do with binoculars the weight makes a big difference when carried all day. I am guessing the NL will have the edge over the SF optically but if the SF handles glare better the SF is looking better and better, especially at $1000.00 less. Either one wouldn't be too shabby! We will know in a couple of weeks now.

I’m more amazed that some people have traded what they call the best binoculars they’ve ever had, for a sight unseen unit…
Haha. I owned those SFs for like a month. Got a full refund. I haven't lost anything. I also bought the SFs sight unseen.
As is regularly discussed. Not everybody lives in a place where they can go to a store that carries these binoculars. In my case, I would have to travel on a plane to try a pair of NLs or a pair of SFs or many others. During a pandemic. I'll go with the sight-unseen purchase from a retailer that I trust instead.

Last edited:
In my case, I would have to travel on a plane to try a pair of NLs or a pair of SFs or many others. During a pandemic. I'll go with the sight-unseen purchase from a retailer that I trust instead.

Good point. I'm in a high risk group myself, and I definitely wouldn't get on a plane during the pandemic, no matter how safe the airlines claim their planes are. Aerosols are funny things.

Hermann

I didn't cancel the Swarovski NL 8x42. The salesman kind of talked me out of it. He has looked through them, and he thought they were the best binoculars on the market. He called them "phenomenal". So they are still on preorder although I did cancel the head rest because I don't think I need it with the 8x and it is more weight. So I will write a review when I get them in early September. The way I look at it, they should be better than the SV 8x32 at controlling glare simply because of the bigger 5 mm exit pupil. The Swarovski SV 8.5x42 doesn't show near as much glare as the SV 8x32. With a 10% discount they were $2700.00 from EuroOptic. Not bad.

Last edited:
By ALL means if ANYONE wants to purchase ANY binocular....DO IT! There is no explanation necessary to anyone. But to take someones else's "opinion" of a binocular when there are only a HANDFUL(or less) of actual user opinions out there kind of makes me shake my head. Also, how GOOD can that opinion be when those handfuls of binocular could have only been in actual use for a MONTH? LESS? Are they birders? Dealers? Naturalists? Did they leave their house?

Is the NL going to be less good than the SLC? EL Swarovison? The very idea that Swarovski would be releasing what THEY are proclaiming to be the best binocular they have EVER released and it be anything less than an excellent product is horse hockey.

Think about it....

I am guessing the NL will have the edge over the SF optically but if the SF handles glare better the SF is looking better and better, especially at $1000.00 less. Either one wouldn't be too shabby! We will know in a couple of weeks now.
This is such a peculiar choice really, SF 32 vs NL 42, so different... Of course Swaro has clearly outclassed SF 42 not only by further improving its FOV, but showing that can be done without oversizing the bino. Which rather undermines the SF 32 concept also, given some possibility of forthcoming NL 32.... though obviously I haven't seen this crop yet, and look forward to it sometime this fall as we have a local dealer now.

This is such a peculiar choice really, SF 32 vs NL 42, so different... Of course Swaro has clearly outclassed SF 42 not only by further improving its FOV, but showing that can be done without oversizing the bino. Which rather undermines the SF 32 concept also, given some possibility of forthcoming NL 32.... though obviously I haven't seen this crop yet, and look forward to it sometime this fall as we have a local dealer now.
Where is the local Swaro dealer? Are you talking about Cabellas, Sportmans Warehouse or Scheels? I live up in Greeley, CO.

By ALL means if ANYONE wants to purchase ANY binocular....DO IT! There is no explanation necessary to anyone. But to take someones else's "opinion" of a binocular when there are only a HANDFUL(or less) of actual user opinions out there kind of makes me shake my head. Also, how GOOD can that opinion be when those handfuls of binocular could have only been in actual use for a MONTH? LESS? Are they birders? Dealers? Naturalists? Did they leave their house?

Is the NL going to be less good than the SLC? EL Swarovison? The very idea that Swarovski would be releasing what THEY are proclaiming to be the best binocular they have EVER released and it be anything less than an excellent product is horse hockey.

Think about it....

Exactly Chuck, some people start drawing conclusions about newly released bins without even trying......

I personally was looking for a less bulky bin as a replacement for the El10x50, and then the NL came out.
Decided to sell the 10x50, because I'm sure it won't see much use anymore when I would have a nice 8 or 10x42.

Called my local dealer, and he has put me on the "NL list."
Agreed with them that I want to try the 8x and 10x first before buying, and they fully agreed with that.
When it turns out I don't like it, I will let it pass, and look for something else. It's as simple as that.

I read all reviews and experiences about the NL's with great interest, but in the end I only trust my own eyes.

For me it's more like "Seeing is believing" instead of "see the unseen" I suppose;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back