• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk or goshawk? (1 Viewer)

that's a good one:
not huge bodied, rather slender
barred secondaries...
and still a Goshawk, my guess is a younger adult male:
bulging secondaries
inner secondaries (tertials) unbarred
huge feet
densily barred below

A second, and last picture, much worse than the first one:

The query was posted in another Spanish forum and there was not an unanymous agreement.

Goshawk 2.jpg

Are the tail bands ever considered in Goshawk vs. Sparrowhawk? In the US, goshawks often have much more "wavy" tail bands than Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk. The bird in question seems to show quite wavy bars.

Does Sparrowhawk share this feature? I do note, however, that even in the US it's not a foolproof ID point.

Are the tail bands ever considered in Goshawk vs. Sparrowhawk? In the US, goshawks often have much more "wavy" tail bands than Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk. The bird in question seems to show quite wavy bars.

Does Sparrowhawk share this feature? I do note, however, that even in the US it's not a foolproof ID point.

there is a difference indeed but best seen from above where you also can see a white bordering of the tail bars not present in Sparrowhawk

that's a good one:
barred secondaries...
bulging secondaries
huge feet
densily barred below

there is a difference indeed but best seen from above where you also can see a white bordering of the tail bars not present in Sparrowhawk

Interesting. Thanks for the correction!

that's a good one:
barred secondaries...
bulging secondaries
huge feet
densily barred below

I had it as Gos too, before reading Toms post.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back