Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 UK Orchids

Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 09:33   #26
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Ophrys hybrids

Chapett's Copse, Hants

Sword-leaved Helleborines - about 5-10% in flower yesterday - next weekend perhaps the early peak. If anyone has precise details for confirmed C. x schulzei from last year, I'd be grateful for a PM.

cheers
Alan
Not sure if it is of any help but there is a photo of the hybrid from a guided walk at Chappetts yesterday on the Native Orchids Facebook group.

Rich
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 12:58   #27
jeffnsue

Day out in North Wales

A good day out in North Wales with Ben.

Minera Quarry had at least four Cuckoos calling and flying, also a Peregrine. Lifting a reptile refuge sheet revealed the tiniest Slow Worm I’ve ever seen, not much bigger than a large centipede. Lots of Early Purple Orchid in the limestone grassland and some mystery marsh orchids with the flower just breaking from the rosette, I suspect Early Marsh.

Then Eryrys for Frog Orchid and little else, no ‘longibracteatum’ and no butterflies on the wing.

To Maeshafn and Clive’s wood to see the Pied Flycatchers in the nest boxes he put up last autumn, they must have simply passed through the wood last year, the trees not being old enough to have developed natural nest holes. Also Nuthatch in another box. Well done Clive.

Finally Marford Quarry, again cold and windy but three bigger Slow Worms under the refuges, maybe 15” long.

Jeff Hodgson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slow Worm.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	695670  Click image for larger version

Name:	EPO Minera 01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	695671  Click image for larger version

Name:	EPO Minera 02.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	695672  Click image for larger version

Name:	EPO Minera Close 01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	695673  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog Orchid Eryrys 04.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	695674  

Old Monday 20th May 2019, 13:00   #28
jeffnsue

Frog Orchids

Just a couple more photos
JMH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frog Orchid Eryrys 03.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	695675  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog Orchid Close Eryrys 01.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	695676  
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 22:10   #29
leptochila

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnsue View Post
Just a couple more photos
JMH
Lovely shots Jeff. Hope the season is going well for you up there!

M
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 06:21   #30
jeffnsue

Thanks Mike, the Slow Worm was taken on Ben’s phone so it’s not as good full size
Jeff
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 21:37   #31
muba

Burnt Orchids

Yesterday we ventured the arduous journey across to Derbyshire having received A+ details of where to find Burnt Tip Orchids. We found them, 36 in all, having also braved climbing gates adorned with barbed wire, and a field with a herd of bullocks. Despite their lovely contrasting colours they are not that easy to find. The tallest we saw was under 4 inches tall. Caught a look at my first ever Green Hairstreak too; at least in this country.
The down side was that I have since discovered that had we explored a further 200-330 yards further we would have stumbled onto a shedload of Fly Orchids. Frog and Bee also reside there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bto1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	695836  Click image for larger version

Name:	bto2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	695837  Click image for larger version

Name:	bto3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	695838  Click image for larger version

Name:	bto4.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	695839  
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 06:53   #32
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

I have found that if you speak to someone on site, they are really helpful, even taking you to see the flower. If you get info online, if will nearly always be vague and lead you to a general area, with up to a square mile of searching involved. Martin Down being perhaps the most extreme example. I'm sure lots of people, myself included, have left that place tearing their hair out.

We all find them eventually, but I worry about increased risk of trampling. Some reserves I visited last weekend had taped off areas and cages.. very easy to find the plants in this case!
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 07:29   #33
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
I have found that if you speak to someone on site, they are really helpful, even taking you to see the flower. If you get info online, if will nearly always be vague and lead you to a general area, with up to a square mile of searching involved. Martin Down being perhaps the most extreme example. I'm sure lots of people, myself included, have left that place tearing their hair out.

We all find them eventually, but I worry about increased risk of trampling. Some reserves I visited last weekend had taped off areas and cages.. very easy to find the plants in this case!
I remember years ago at Languard I think, where they has a rare plant caged off to stop rabbits eating it they said, think it was called 'Stinking Goose Foot' from memory?
Old Wednesday 22nd May 2019, 10:00   #34
peter.jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I remember years ago at Languard I think, where they has a rare plant caged off to stop rabbits eating it they said, think it was called 'Stinking Goose Foot' from memory?
"smells of rotting fish", at risk from Rabbits with blocked sinuses!

Anyway, one of the Burnt Tip Orchids from Knocking Hoe, Beds. Loads of Pasqueflower here too. Most gone to seed, a couple of flowers still present
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7403.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	695851  
Old Thursday 23rd May 2019, 13:14   #35
Bodhyfryd

Alyn Waters Early Season

We managed our first outing this season to AWCP just to check up on how things were looking. Plenty of Common Twayblade coming through, some in flower, with loads more to come. Common Spotted at rosette stage only. More interestingly perhaps, numerous Dune Helleborine pushing through very early (as last year) though nowhere near flowering as yet! Absolutely no sign of Bee Orchids at this stage. All of this was on the Gwersyllt side; we did not venture over to the Llay side on this visit, but will hope to check things out again in 10-14 days. Photos are less than perfection - photographer unable to stoop very far at present! Please note the Dune has clearly been under attack already - but there are plenty of others on the way.

Martin and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	695929  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	695930  
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 17:08   #36
muba

Bird's-nest Orchid

Following up some supplied information we had a walk through the woods of Wenlock Edge today, and found only one item of interest - a single Bird's Nest Orchid in an old quarry. Clearly pre-discovered as it was well protected by a collection of twigs. Other than that just Common Spotted pushing up and a few weedy Twayblades just about to flower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BNO.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	696030  
Old Friday 24th May 2019, 18:06   #37
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by muba View Post
Following up some supplied information we had a walk through the woods of Wenlock Edge today, and found only one item of interest - a single Bird's Nest Orchid in an old quarry. Clearly pre-discovered as it was well protected by a collection of twigs. Other than that just Common Spotted pushing up and a few weedy Twayblades just about to flower.
Thank you for posting this, Steve. I have PMd you in connection with it.

Martin
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 08:07   #38
Dave Pearson

Lesser Twayblade

I am hoping to have yet another search for the elusive Lesser Twayblade on my way to Anglesey in mid-June. Can anyone give me any directions to a good site in the vicinity of the A5? Confidentiality is assured.

Dave.
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 08:41   #39
peter.jones

I believe these are my closest Man Orchids! an hour's drive, on the edge of Guildford, at Pewley Down.
Nice, small reserve, despite it's popularity with locals.
Also a Small Blue butterfly (not photo'd).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7450.JPG
Size:	819.0 KB
ID:	696187  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7451.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	900.2 KB
ID:	696188  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7452.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	729.3 KB
ID:	696189  
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 12:46   #40
muba

Bee Orchids

Bee Orchids do have a habit of appearing in unexpected places. This is the second local place where I have seen them growing in a grass verge on an industrial estate. This is certainly the most impressive of the two, with perhaps 200+ in or about to flower this year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	llaybee1.jpg
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	696198  
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 13:39   #41
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pearson View Post
I am hoping to have yet another search for the elusive Lesser Twayblade on my way to Anglesey in mid-June. Can anyone give me any directions to a good site in the vicinity of the A5? Confidentiality is assured.

Dave.
Dave

I suspect mid-June may well be too late. The Lessers are already in flower in Cumbria. If you were thinking of the Roman Steps location I have been told it is tedious, ardous and likely to be unproductive. I hope to visit a Berwyn site tomorrow and if sucessful will post photos and send you a GR.
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 00:03   #42
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
Not sure if it is of any help but there is a photo of the hybrid from a guided walk at Chappetts yesterday on the Native Orchids Facebook group.

Rich
Thanks - I think I found 2 today, but not with the hybrid vigour noted by others, but floral and leaf characters were intermediate.

cheers, alan
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 11:05   #43
peter.jones

Southern Marsh Orchid, a plant that took 10 months to identify! As I saw it last July, when it was long gone, and impossible for me to confirm, although its size and shape suggested Marsh Orchid.

Happily, 4 or 5 spikes emerging so far this year. This one, on the footpath, others on private land.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_269704292894779_20190527_115854416-1024x1365.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	696280  
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 14:13   #44
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Bee Orchids do have a habit of appearing in unexpected places. This is the second local place where I have seen them growing in a grass verge on an industrial estate. This is certainly the most impressive of the two, with perhaps 200+ in or about to flower this year.
We went and had a look today, and yes what a lovely colony many of which were coming into flower. We also noted a single CSO. Isn't it a joy when these unexpected locations produce such treasures? Good also to see that the verge is being "cared for"!

Thanks for posting this Steve.
Martin and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG
Size:	648.0 KB
ID:	696304  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.JPG
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	696305  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	696306  
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 15:44   #45
muba

Quote:
Dave

I suspect mid-June may well be too late. The Lessers are already in flower in Cumbria. If you were thinking of the Roman Steps location I have been told it is tedious, ardous and likely to be unproductive. I hope to visit a Berwyn site tomorrow and if sucessful will post photos and send you a GR.
We have ventured up into the hills, in windy rainy weather and found some Lesser Twayblades. Unfortunately the ones we saw seem to be 'blind' juvenile plants, only one having a flower spike - and that was nowhere near flowering. It was nearly an hour stumbling around the tussocks and heather before we found the first of them. Note how small they are. Not the best of orchid hunting days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ltway1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	696314  Click image for larger version

Name:	ltway2.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	696315  
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 15:55   #46
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhyfryd View Post
We went and had a look today, and yes what a lovely colony many of which were coming into flower. We also noted a single CSO. Isn't it a joy when these unexpected locations produce such treasures? Good also to see that the verge is being "cared for"!

Thanks for posting this Steve.
Martin and Elaine
Bee Orchids seem to like the protection of the Law. These are growing opposite the new Police station, while there is another smaller colony in a similar situation outside Berwyn Prison. I suggest orchidophiles do not prowl around that site camera in hand.
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 11:26   #47
davebent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Goldsmith View Post
Early Purple orchids just waking up in North Norfolk.
Roy,

Glad to see you are still around on this group. On another topic. How are the Bee orchid chlorantha SE of Norwich and at the power station doing this year?

I am thinking of popping up there again.

Regards

Dave
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 17:39   #48
leptochila

Quote:
You wouldn't believe the level of work that went it to finding that plant. I was on the phone to Sean from his approach in the car to pretty much the moment he stumbled across that single plant!

Back in 2008, when I first found them there, there was one plant but this rose to up to 12 plants (2010 and 2011) but numbers have been slowly declining or at least not showing in such high numbers since then.

Below a pic from the good old days in 2011...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5424.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	696494  
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 17:41   #49
leptochila

Quote:
I should also say, Steve, that there are a fair number of Greater Butterfly orchids in that bit of woodland but they are scattered.
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 20:30   #50
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptochila View Post
I should also say, Steve, that there are a fair number of Greater Butterfly orchids in that bit of woodland but they are scattered.
Unfortunately we missed them all! We did have a good roam around too. But we did catch some a few days earlier at Coed Cilygroeslwyd, where we had seen BNOs before, but not this year.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: