Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

CA in Swarvorski 8x30W Habicht?

Old Tuesday 30th September 2008, 11:04   #1
gweller

CA in Swarvorski 8x30W Habicht?

I am interesting in buying a pair of Swarvorski 8x30 Habicht bins, but because very few shops seem to stock them I will probably have to do so without first getting a look at them.

Having read a lot of the previous posts about these, they seem to be very good and offer everything I need at a reasonable price.

I did however come across a couple of comments from a few years back suggesting they suffered from a lot of CA, which surprised me as and I always would not expect this in a porro - excessive CA is something I associate more with cheaper/middle class roofs

As someone who is very sensitive to CA this could be a real "deal breaker" for me. Is CA an issue with this binocular? Perhaps only with the older models?

All views/comments/help gratefully welcome!

Cheers!
Gary
Old Tuesday 30th September 2008, 12:26   #2
ThoLa
Forum Member

Hello!

I am interested in these myself. It's a pity they cannot be found anywhere.
Some months back I had the opportunity to try the 10x40 version on a bright sunshiny day. No more CA in it than in a Leica Ultravid or a Swaro 10x32 EL.
It was in a shop in Muenster. If you ever go there .... (I know many people from the Netherlands like to go there for sight-seeing or shopping), you may have a look yourself.

The next problem is that on the continent they are - for reasons unknown - so much more expensive than in England!

maybe this is of use for you,
cheers,
Tom
Old Wednesday 1st October 2008, 11:44   #3
gweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoLa View Post
Hello!

The next problem is that on the continent they are - for reasons unknown - so much more expensive than in England!

maybe this is of use for you,
cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks for your comments. I'm also certain I shall get a pair. And yes, if I do buy them I shall probably order them from Sherwoods in the UK. Cost from them is 390 GPB, which works out to about 490 euros. Best price I've seen over here in Holland is 695 euros!

Cheers
Gary
Old Wednesday 1st October 2008, 13:34   #4
ewsjr

I have the 7X42 Habichts and CA is simply not a problem. These best any other glass I try and I only wish they had not been adopted by my wife.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: