Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski Habicht 10x40

Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 09:39   #1
Rossstephens

Swarovski Habicht 10x40

Hi all,

I currently use a pair of Nikon E11 10x35 which I think are a superb binocular and I've been using for about 10 years. My only gripe is they're not waterproof and with being out in all conditions they do fog up now and again.
I'm considering upgrading to the Swarovski Habicht 10x40s which seem to be the only quality waterproof Porro prizms around. Anyone have any views on these? Any opinions much appreciated!
Cheers!
Ross.
Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 11:28   #2
ingle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossstephens View Post
Hi all,

I currently use a pair of Nikon E11 10x35 which I think are a superb binocular and I've been using for about 10 years. My only gripe is they're not waterproof and with being out in all conditions they do fog up now and again.
I'm considering upgrading to the Swarovski Habicht 10x40s which seem to be the only quality waterproof Porro prizms around. Anyone have any views on these? Any opinions much appreciated!
Cheers!
Ross.
hello and welcome Ross

Like yourself i own the 10x35 EII, but have also been mulling over the Swaro porro for some time and decided to take the plunge, so i have just ordered an 8x30 W.

As you say the weatherproofing will pay dividends, other forum members have used the 10x35 in rain etc with no problems, i would rather use it in fair weather...

'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 13:29   #3
henry link

I also own a 10x35 EII and have owned various Swarovski Porro's including the 10x40 (I still have an 8x30).

The main optical differences are that the 10x40 Swarovski has shorter eye relief and a narrower field than the Nikon. The Swarovski field is still pretty wide, but the eye relief is really quite short at 12mm, certainly too short for eyeglass wearers. Also, I much prefer the eyecups on the rubber armored model. The eyecups on the leatherette version are small and stiff; not very comfortable for me, but may be OK for others. It's the sort of thing you need to try for yourself. Focus is also stiffer than the Nikon from the sealing of the eyepiece tubes.
Old Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 11:24   #4
Rossstephens

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated! If only they made some waterproof 10x35 E11s, that would be my perfect pair of binoculars!

I have to be out in all weathers so they really need to be waterproof. I've heard about the short eye relief, I don't wear glasses so I don't feel too worried about that, not too sure about the sound of the stiff focusing wheel though...

Be great if you could let me know how you get on with the 8x30's ingle1970.

I think I probably need to try out a pair myself though it's hard trying to find someone who stocks them and doesn't live nearer than a 100 miles away!

Cheers, Ross.
Old Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 13:43   #5
ceasar

Ross,
The 10 years of use you put your Nikon 10 X 35 EII through is impressive! I agree that it is an excellent binocular. I also have the 8 x 30 EII which is just as good.

I have a question about their leatherette covering.

Have you experienced any problem during the ten years you used it with it's leatherette covering coming loose or unglued and if so, were you able to fix it?

Cordially,
Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: