Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

7d m11 firmware

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 13:33   #1
katholdbird

7d m11 firmware

Hi All Has anyone upgraded the firmware on the 7d m11 yet if so has it made a difference or have you had any problems ? Cheers
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 14:15   #2
dabut101

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholdbird View Post
Hi All Has anyone upgraded the firmware on the 7d m11 yet if so has it made a difference or have you had any problems ? Cheers

done mine kath and noticed after it now only shows one battery in the grip altho it is a third party one

dave
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 15:37   #3
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Yes, I have installed it Kath, can's say I have noticed any difference one way or the other. Mind you I have not had any problems with the Camera anyway.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 17:27   #4
BodyResults

I've seen a few folks on other forums mentioned improved results.

Of all the folks reporting problems one might think about them in 3 groups; those with major focus issues which some people have had success changing out bodies or sending them to Canon, those with inconsistencies or occasional focus issues that possibly could be software related, and those that either may not understand how to get the most out of the 7D or have unrealistic expectations such as shooting where there is atmospheric disturbances (like heat waves) or are trying to crop too much.

Here's a thread of a person attributing improvement form the 1.04 firmware
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366289

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 01:28   #5
BodyResults

I just updated mine last night and then ran though AFMA using the DotTune process for my 600mm lens bar and with 1.4 and 2x extenders. Interestingly the 600mm increased by 1, 840mm increased by 4 and 1,200mm increased by 10.

I seen someone mention that AFMA can change with temperture so I ran my 1DX through the same 3 combinations. Two of the combinations were identical and one (1,200mm) went down by 1.

I consider a change of 1 within the margin of error and insignificant.

Since only the 7D2 AFMA needed changing from the firmware it seems likely the autofocus software was changed in firmware 1.04. Whether it has a positive outcome for many folks will be interesting to see. I was getting sharp shots with mine but have wondered if I could be getting more consistent results.

Doug

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 06:38   #6
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyResults View Post
I just updated mine last night and then ran though AFMA using the DotTune process for my 600mm lens bar and with 1.4 and 2x extenders. Interestingly the 600mm increased by 1, 840mm increased by 4 and 1,200mm increased by 10.

I seen someone mention that AFMA can change with temperture so I ran my 1DX through the same 3 combinations. Two of the combinations were identical and one (1,200mm) went down by 1.

I consider a change of 1 within the margin of error and insignificant.

Since only the 7D2 AFMA needed changing from the firmware it seems likely the autofocus software was changed in firmware 1.04. Whether it has a positive outcome for many folks will be interesting to see. I was getting sharp shots with mine but have wondered if I could be getting more consistent results.

Doug
Very interesting.

But you've got me worried.

I spent all yesterday morning fine-tuning my Sigma 150-600 at various ranges for focus with a 1.4 extender (3m, 6m, 15m and infinity) with the in-camera micro-adjustment at zero and got it just about right at last.

Then last night I installed the new firmware!
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 07:20   #7
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyResults View Post

Doug
That's interesting although I have found in the past that the DotTune method seems to give me different results each time anyway.
I may give AFMA another go although early shots since updating the Firmware appear that it has not made any difference to the sharpness for me.

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 07:29   #8
Barred Wobbler

I've just taken a couple of photos from the back window (with and without the 1.4) and first indications are that all is well.

We'll see.

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Friday 22nd May 2015 at 07:32.
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 07:47   #9
Mick Sway

I am currently in Lesvos, thankfully I bought my old 7D body and have switched back to that.
Obviously the fact that the firmware update came too late is a huge disappointment for me.
I have met a number of a amateur photographers out here, many of which have the same
focus problems as mine, they are very up set about the cameras performance.
To be fair I have also met some who are happy with theirs.
Yesterday I switched back to the Mark 2, while my wife was using her 600 D .
She got serviceable record flight shots of Goshawk, while mine were completely and I mean completely, out of focus!
I look forward to following this thread when I get back home.
Thanks for posting.

Algarve bird Images October 2015 here
Flickr Album - 10 years/130 images of species recorded on Lesvos.[/font]

BF Supporter 2012 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 12:15   #10
PeterBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Sway View Post
I am currently in Lesvos, thankfully I bought my old 7D body and have switched back to that.
Obviously the fact that the firmware update came too late is a huge disappointment for me.
I have met a number of a amateur photographers out here, many of which have the same
focus problems as mine, they are very up set about the cameras performance.
To be fair I have also met some who are happy with theirs.
Yesterday I switched back to the Mark 2, while my wife was using her 600 D .
She got serviceable record flight shots of Goshawk, while mine were completely and I mean completely, out of focus!
I look forward to following this thread when I get back home.
Thanks for posting.
Really sorry to hear about your problems, Mick. I brought my 7DII and the 100-400II to Lesvos and I loved its performance. I found that the AF response differs from the 7D, mainly in the sense that using zone focus made the AF point jump over the place more than with the 7D. The need to use spot focus (possibly with expansion points) seems to be more prominent than before. But taking that into account, the camera performed very well. Still sorting through the photo, but I'll post some. Here are a ew on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/643019...57652183468270
I do hope you're having a good time anyway. I know I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit.
Peter
(Contrary to the above I tried out some BIF shots yesterday with all 65 points active. I ll post them on the main 7DII thread. It didn't do badly at all. Hope you'll get your camera fixed!)
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 13:07   #11
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBird View Post
. The need to use spot focus (possibly with expansion points) seems to be more prominent than before.
Peter
(Contrary to the above I tried out some BIF shots yesterday with all 65 points active. I ll post them on the main 7DII thread. It didn't do badly at all. Hope you'll get your camera fixed!)
You cannot have spot focus with expansion points can you Peter? Spot focus is just that, focus on a single spot (which is smaller than the normal AF focus point). I am guessing you are meaning single point expansion.

I have also been reasonable impressed with all 65 points active, especially for really fast/erratic flyers. I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swallow in flight1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	544860  

Last edited by Roy C : Friday 22nd May 2015 at 13:11.

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 13:56   #12
PeterBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
You cannot have spot focus with expansion points can you Peter? Spot focus is just that, focus on a single spot (which is smaller than the normal AF focus point). I am guessing you are meaning single point expansion.

I have also been reasonable impressed with all 65 points active, especially for really fast/erratic flyers. I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.
Ah, thanks, Roy! Of course I mean single point. That's a great swallow shot and I completely agree with your findings.
Peter
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 00:23   #13
SC2birders

I have today updated my firmware and agree that it may be important to redo the MFA, which changed the most for the 100-400L lens. This may explain the mixed results associated with the new 1.04 firmware.
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 07:07   #14
Farnboro John

Quote:
I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.
That's some Swallow shot, Roy! I will have to try the same thing. Could you just confirm the "correct AI servo 'case' " you used - the same as for single point expansion as described up-thread, or different tracking set up?

Cheers

John
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 08:30   #15
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
That's some Swallow shot, Roy! I will have to try the same thing. Could you just confirm the "correct AI servo 'case' " you used - the same as for single point expansion as described up-thread, or different tracking set up?

Cheers

John
Hi John, The main thing when trying to shoot these fast erratic flyers with all AF points active is to have a fast AF point auto switching mode -I find case 5 is the best as it is set to the fastest switching setting. You can, of course set up a customized 'case' but there is no real advantage for this type of shot IMO. You also obviously need a fast shutter speed.

Old Friday 29th May 2015, 11:00   #16
Farnboro John

Quote:
Hi John, The main thing when trying to shoot these fast erratic flyers with all AF points active is to have a fast AF point auto switching mode -I find case 5 is the best as it is set to the fastest switching setting. You can, of course set up a customized 'case' but there is no real advantage for this type of shot IMO. You also obviously need a fast shutter speed.
Thank very much Roy. I will give that a go if I get an opportunity.

Cheers

John
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 11:35   #17
bob freeman

Well I dusted off the Old Lemon and loaded the new Firmware just to see if there was any improvement in the camera performance.
Hammered off a few thousand shots of the local Puffins and got some not too bad results see attached.
Loads of issues still with my copy,AF/ON button still stuck on zone AF so I just live with it and use it for flyers as I have set star button next to it on same function with single point so just jiggle between the two for the shot I need, also noticed something is rattling about inside so looks like my Lemon also has a Screw Loose. Doubt Canon can come up with a Firmware to rectify that problem, also AF still freezing on me now and again so have to power off and on to re- awaken it and still only getting about one good in focus shot out of a burst of ten.
Don't think the 7d2 takes a crop as good as 7d used to either but I think I will just have to live with these issues and accept that it will be hit and miss till the end of its days or until 7d3 appears.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legs.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	545692  Click image for larger version

Name:	straw.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	545693  Click image for larger version

Name:	puffish.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	545694  Click image for larger version

Name:	poofs.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	545695  Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	545696  

Old Friday 29th May 2015, 15:14   #18
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob freeman View Post
Well I dusted off the Old Lemon and loaded the new Firmware just to see if there was any improvement in the camera performance.
Hammered off a few thousand shots of the local Puffins and got some not too bad results see attached.
Loads of issues still with my copy,AF/ON button still stuck on zone AF so I just live with it and use it for flyers as I have set star button next to it on same function with single point so just jiggle between the two for the shot I need, also noticed something is rattling about inside so looks like my Lemon also has a Screw Loose. Doubt Canon can come up with a Firmware to rectify that problem, also AF still freezing on me now and again so have to power off and on to re- awaken it and still only getting about one good in focus shot out of a burst of ten.
Don't think the 7d2 takes a crop as good as 7d used to either but I think I will just have to live with these issues and accept that it will be hit and miss till the end of its days or until 7d3 appears.

Bob
What I cannot understand Bob, is why do you not just send the Camera back as being defective, it cannot be a year old yet so must be covered by the Canon warranty.

Old Friday 29th May 2015, 16:57   #19
the black fox

Quote:
What I cannot understand Bob, is why do you not just send the Camera back as being defective, it cannot be a year old yet so must be covered by the Canon warranty.
Unless Roy it's either a second hand one (plenty of them about for some reason) or it's a grey import .
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 17:09   #20
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black fox View Post
Unless Roy it's either a second hand one (plenty of them about for some reason) or it's a grey import .
Yes Jeff but grey imports are usually covered , HDEW give three years (and use Canon approved UK repairers from what I have read). I have not seen a lot of second hand ones around but I guess there could be some who had one of the early 'bad' batch and decided not to send them back for some reason. I am sure there are also some that bought them expecting a 1DX performance and were disappointing ( you always get a few like that lol). Add to that those that bought one and did not know how to use it and there would bound to be some used ones kicking about. I do not know how many has been sold thus far but I would guess the used ones up for sale would be a minute percentage - certainly a lot less than 1% that's for sure.

Old Friday 29th May 2015, 17:17   #21
bob freeman

Have had it into Canon service centre three times and they keep saying they can find nothing wrong with it,I even had someone phone me up from the service centre and tell me that the back button issue is normal with the 7d2,that's when I finally gave up with them,it's done some miles by post I can tell you.

Bob
Old Friday 29th May 2015, 20:17   #22
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Have had it into Canon service centre three times and they keep saying they can find nothing wrong with it,I even had someone phone me up from the service centre and tell me that the back button issue is normal with the 7d2,that's when I finally gave up with them,it's done some miles by post I can tell you.

Bob
That person who said about the back button focusing issue must be a right Idiot Bob, Every single shot I have taken with the 7D2 has been with back button focusing. It has always worked perfectly and I often change the AF focus area mode on the fly as well. I have never heard of anyone else with that problem either. If I was you I would take some legal advice.
Best of luck anyway Bob, I hope you get it sorted because IMHO it is a far better Camera than the original 7D.

Old Saturday 30th May 2015, 06:14   #23
bob freeman

Roy
The back button focus issue is just with the AF/ON button,for some reason it will not shift out of Zone AF,the star button next to it changes right through all the AF points no problem as does the main shutter button,this was never an issue when the body was new and only started to happen when I had the camera in to Canon Singapore for the second time,BTW this even happens when you take Zone AF out of the menu choice so a definite fault.
I bought the Body in Singapore last December but anything you buy there only has what they call a local warranty which lasts for a year to me or you but eighteen month for locals,tried exchanging body at the shop where I purchased it but they were having none of it and just kept saying You Go Service Centre which I did twice.
On return to UK I sent it in to Canon again with a letter explaining all the issues and that is when I received the phone call about the back button so anyone who knows their Canon camera can tell straight away that there was a rabbit away so to speak.
Anyway thanks for advice Roy and I will let you know if I get it sorted.

Cheers

Bob
Old Saturday 30th May 2015, 07:22   #24
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Roy
The back button focus issue is just with the AF/ON button,for some reason it will not shift out of Zone AF,the star button next to it changes right through all the AF points no problem as does the main shutter button,this was never an issue when the body was new and only started to happen when I had the camera in to Canon Singapore for the second time,BTW this even happens when you take Zone AF out of the menu choice so a definite fault.
I bought the Body in Singapore last December but anything you buy there only has what they call a local warranty which lasts for a year to me or you but eighteen month for locals,tried exchanging body at the shop where I purchased it but they were having none of it and just kept saying You Go Service Centre which I did twice.
On return to UK I sent it in to Canon again with a letter explaining all the issues and that is when I received the phone call about the back button so anyone who knows their Canon camera can tell straight away that there was a rabbit away so to speak.

Cheers

Bob
It is the AF/ON button that I always use Bob, never had a problem and as explained and I am cycling through all the AF options regularly. I just press the AF point selection button with my thumb and then toggle though all the options with the M-Fn button with my forefinger. I have been doing this will all my Cameras (inc the 7D2) for many years and never had a single problem.

Just had a thought Bob, why don't you send it in to some one like 'fixation' who are Canon approved repairers - I am fairly sure that they will look at and then give you a quote to repair so it is then up to you if you go ahead or not.
Best of luck Bob .

Old Saturday 30th May 2015, 07:25   #25
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Roy

Cheers

Bob
It is the AF/ON button that I always use Bob, never had a problem and as explained and I am cycling through all the AF options regularly. I just press the AF point selection button with my thumb and then toggle though all the options via the M-Fn button with my forefinger. I have been doing this will all my Cameras (inc the 7D2) for many years and never had a single problem.

Just had a thought Bob, why don't you send it in to some one like 'fixation' who are Canon approved repairers - I am fairly sure that they will look at and then give you a quote to repair so it is then up to you if you go ahead or not.
Best of luck Bob .

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: