Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dippers - Knowles Coppice - Wyre Forest

Old Sunday 7th April 2019, 20:11   #1
ErinG

Smile Dippers - Knowles Coppice - Wyre Forest

Hi All,

New to the forum and also bird watching :)

Had a lovely first visit to Knowles Coppice today in search of Dippers. Lucky enough to have 3 sightings as well as a nuthatch, a number of yellow wagtails, long tailed tit, buzzards and a glimpse of a kingfisher.

Im sure we saw a lot more but being new to it Im still learning a lot of the birds!
Old Sunday 7th April 2019, 20:50   #2
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Welcome to the forum Erin. Hope you have fun here (I know I have). Dippers really are a class act aren't they? We have them on the river behind the house, and they are a firm family favourite. Do double check your Wagtails. Grey share habitat with Dippers, and have a lot of yellow on them, and are with us year round. Yellow are only just arriving, so not that many in yet, and are found in rather different habitats (flat wet pastures and marshes). I would suggest your birds are most likely the former. Check it out, see what you think.

Cheers

James
Old Sunday 7th April 2019, 21:00   #3
ErinG

Hi James,

They are fab, was really happy to see them today.

Thank you so much for the info on wagtails, I was actually just going through the Collins book and did see the grey ones and thought I’d got it wrong! I’ll keep studying!

Erin
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 06:50   #4
dragnil

Welcome, Erin, I'm sure you will enjoy this forum and develop your bird watching. We were all beginners once and it's says much for those here when you have helpful, and in no way patronising, comments such as those from James. Gentle suggestion with reasons will always help and never offend.
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 12:10   #5
ErinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnil View Post
Welcome, Erin, I'm sure you will enjoy this forum and develop your bird watching. We were all beginners once and it's says much for those here when you have helpful, and in no way patronising, comments such as those from James. Gentle suggestion with reasons will always help and never offend.
Hi Dragnil,

Thank you for the welcome. I couldnt agree more re your point on James comment. It was a very thoughtful response. Everyone I have met so far on walks and in hides has been so friendly - if not sometimes slightly confused to see a 31 year old bird watching

Im looking forward to expanding my knowledge. At the minute I do prefer waterfowl as they tend to sit still a bit longer!
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 19:44   #6
jackied
Jax

Go up the hill on the Shropshire side of the stream towards Botton Oak and you could well find Siskin and Crossbill.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 9th April 2019, 11:41   #7
ErinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackied View Post
Go up the hill on the Shropshire side of the stream towards Botton Oak and you could well find Siskin and Crossbill.
Thanks Jackie will try that on next visit
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: