Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

choice of a Swarowski 8.5*42 EL

Old Friday 7th June 2019, 03:57   #1
Claude_

choice of a Swarowski 8.5*42 EL

Hello !

I'm going to buy un new binoculars - a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL.
I have the possibility to buy a previous generation with a good price (sales, destoking, probably in the store display since 3 at 4 years) - or an "up to date" generation.

I only had the possibility to test the copy on sale and a Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD. The swaro was sharpner - but not 100 % on the edges.
With my wife, we prefer the Swaro.

I would like to know if there are differences or improvements between the Swaro previous generation and an "up to date" generation : considering the lens quality, the sharpness and the "rolling ball" or "globe" effect ?
The apparent differnece I saw on the copy sale is on this pic : https://imgur.com/a/4lo290P

Thank you very much for your help
and sorry for my English
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 04:27   #2
[email protected]

No difference optically in the previous generation but there are several improvements in the latest or Field Pro model which I feel make it worth the difference. I personally like the new strap attachment system and straps. They are easier to adjust and remove. I also really like the new objective covers and the way they are designed as a part of the binocular so they won't come off. The new rain guard is nicer also and the new armour has a much nicer, richer feel to it that really feels nice in the hand. The upgraded armour alone is worth the price difference in the Field Pro model. The newer case is also improved with a simpler design and it is more compact. I feel these improvements are definitely worth it to get the newer model Field Pro. If you going to pay that much for a binocular anyway why not pay a little more and get the best.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 7th June 2019 at 19:16.
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 05:06   #3
John A Roberts

Claude

Just to be perfectly clear, the EL x42 chronology is:
1999 - EL
2009 - EL Swarovsion (new optics and body)
2015 - EL FieldPro (Swarovision with new covering and accessories)

For the differences in the optics between the EL and the EL Swarovision see here: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...38&postcount=2

And for positive visual identification compare the 2 images:
- EL vs EL Swarovision (from: http://www.fjbirds.org/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=16106 - this link has broken since I downloaded the image)
- EL FieldPro vs EL Swarovsion (from your link)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL left, EL SV right.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	697175  Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldPro left, pre-FieldPro right.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	697176  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Friday 7th June 2019 at 06:24.
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 05:34   #4
Claude_

Thank you Denco & John.
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 05:41   #5
marcsantacurz

I picked up the 8.5x42 Fpro used a while back and could not be happier with it. It really has a fantastic view. I also appreciate the near focus, as I often use them out my breakfast window to some nearby flowers with bees. I've not used the previous gen, so cannot tell you the difference. The Fpro really feels good in the hands and is very well balanced.

I also have the Zeiss HT 10x42, which I also love, but if I had to have only one, I'd pick the swaro.

Marc
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 13:00   #6
MandoBear

I bought the Field Pro version about 15 months ago - exceedingly happy with mine. The Field Pro also has a slightly different lock on the dioptre adjustment and is arguably slightly more secure than the previous version, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker - the previous was fine.

Personally, I think the case that came with the previous version was better - more substantial and with an internal divider and pocket. The new case only has an open external pocket, and in my experience, the zip to the main compartment is not as easy to operate when the case is worn over the shoulder. I took this up with Swarovski, and they very kindly provided me with an older version. Incidentally, I have a feeling that both of these cases are made for Swarovski by Crumpler who make excellent quality camera cases - many of the construction details are similar, and the rather distinctive font used on the internal labels in the cases is identical.

If it were me, my choice would partly be governed by the price you're offered on the older version. Either is a superb instrument, and I think you'd be very satisfied with which ever you choose.
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 14:36   #7
[email protected]

" I took this up with Swarovski, and they very kindly provided me with an older version."

That is the nice thing about Swarovski. The customer service is stellar! You pay more initially for the binoculars but it is worth it in the long run for the support and customer service you receive. It is kind of like a Swarovski Club and once you pay the entry fee you are a member for life and they take care of you no matter what. They are like no other binocular manufacturer I have experienced.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 7th June 2019 at 14:40.
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 15:42   #8
Alexis Powell

I like the old strap attachment system better--doesn't get in the way of my hand position and it doesn't allow the strap to get twisted, the way the new one can. I don't generally use rainguards etc, esp. on the objectives, and I prefer to pick my own case. The case I use for the 8.5x42 EL SV is the leather pouch made for the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP.

If the OP can get a late production pre-FP unit at a good price (I got one new for $1600), I'd say go for it!

--AP
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 15:43   #9
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No difference optically in the previous generation but there are several improvements in the latest or Field Pro model which I feel make it worth the difference. I personally like the new strap attachment system and straps. They are easier to adjust and remove. I also really like the new objective covers and the way they are designed as a part of the binocular so they won't come off. The new rain guard is nicer also and the new armour has a much nicer, richer feel to it that really feels nice in the hand. The newer case is also better designed IMO. I feel these improvements are definitely worth it to get the newer model Field Pro. If you going to pay that much for a binocular anyway why not pay a little more and get the best.
I agree!
Old Friday 7th June 2019, 16:26   #10
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Hi,
I've got two of the EL Swarovision(previous model) and three current-model EL Swarovision Field Pro binoculars. The EL Swarovision Field Pro MAY be called a EL 8.5X42 W B over there.

After I've had all five for a couple of years and optically there is no difference that I can tell. I've seen no test that has shown that either. No difference whatsoever and I would pick either model equally. I've had ZERO issues with the previous model. I have had an issue with the attached objective covers coming off/tearing off the current model which of course Swarovski took care of immediately. I do like the Field Pro system. I think it works great and allows me to change strap systems in less than 30 seconds. I have had no issues with the strap twisting. Concerning the cases....I tend to like the latest models smaller more compact size case better as it is easier to pack and takes up less room.

The new model probably looks a little better to me. If I could save at least 20% on a previous model it would probably be worth that.

In pic below current model right, previous model left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0474.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	697239  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 05:43   #11
Claude_

Smile

Thank you for all your answers !!!

We decide to take the previous model.
400 saved ....for the following challenge : a spoting scope.

We hesitated between the Swaro BTX 92 and the new Zeiss Harpia.
We think to take the Swaro BTX 92.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: