Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Habicht 8x30W

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 14th October 2005, 10:05   #1
ZeNiTh-PbArM

Habicht 8x30W

Hi,

got my new pair of Habicht 8x30 black leatherette finish yesterday...now what to say? the view through the bin is just fantastic : very bright, color is warm, contrast is huge. The bins are very lightweight and a pleasure to use. Focusing is smoother than my previous habicht was.
Eye relief is sufficient but surely not for people wearing glasses. the case provided with the bins is of the "el cheapo" type, a shame for bins of that price. no objective covers, just an ocular cover, joining both oculars and not very comfortable to use (need to re-adjust inter-pupillary distance each time, plus it gets in your nose if you don't pull it far enough). The leather strap looks deliciously old-fashioned.
Anyway, when adding a proper case and covers, you have the perfect bin for all-around use. Optical quality compares honourably IMHO with Nikon SE, and beats any of the 8x roofs i've tried.

regards,
zp
Old Friday 14th October 2005, 12:34   #2
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeNiTh-PbArM
Hi,

got my new pair of Habicht 8x30 black leatherette finish yesterday...now what to say? the view through the bin is just fantastic : very bright, color is warm, contrast is huge. The bins are very lightweight and a pleasure to use. Focusing is smoother than my previous habicht was.
Eye relief is sufficient but surely not for people wearing glasses. the case provided with the bins is of the "el cheapo" type, a shame for bins of that price. no objective covers, just an ocular cover, joining both oculars and not very comfortable to use (need to re-adjust inter-pupillary distance each time, plus it gets in your nose if you don't pull it far enough). The leather strap looks deliciously old-fashioned.
Anyway, when adding a proper case and covers, you have the perfect bin for all-around use. Optical quality compares honourably IMHO with Nikon SE, and beats any of the 8x roofs i've tried.

regards,
zp
Where did you find them and for how much?
Old Friday 14th October 2005, 14:42   #3
ZeNiTh-PbArM

Hi,

Here in France bins are awfully expensive.
List price for swaros habicht 8x30 is around 800 euros (same price for nikon E2)
But SE 8x32 are listed around 1100 euros
And EL 8x32 at 1600 euros
So i fear the price scale we're having here is higher than overseas.
In the Netherlands habicht 8x30 can be found at significantly inferior prices, e.g. 550 euros...but without warranty card. not a good deal if you expect to keep the bins for a long time.

regards,
zp
Old Friday 14th October 2005, 15:48   #4
Robert Ellis
Larus marinus

800 Euros for an E2? I have never paid more than $300 for a pair.
Old Saturday 15th October 2005, 17:55   #5
Gregory Sargean
You can have my porros when you pry them from my cold, dead hands...

I have the same model and found the lack of objective lens covers to be rather annoying, although I love the binoculars in every other respect. I believe the covering is genuine leather rather than leatherette. I got mine at a bargain price of US$450 (unused but no warranty card). They are great binoculars, but I still find myself reaching for my 10x42 Nikon Superior E's.
Old Saturday 15th October 2005, 18:30   #6
henry link

I don't think the covering on the 8x30W is real leather, however at one time there was a leather covered "ladies" version of the 8x30W with a choice of ruby or brown leather. I don't think Swarovki ever made objective caps for these, but they did make a rubber "bumper" that fit over the objective's metal trim ring. I have some of those which seem to fit most unarmoured 8x30's. They also used to make beautiful leather cases for the Habicht porros.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: