• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All about the light (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
The more I do photography the more I realise it is all about light, I thought I would post these two images to illustrate the difference that the light can make. Both images were shot at the same location at more or less the same time of day but a few days apart. The first shot was in full sunlight (sun behind me) whereas the second shot was taken in overcast conditions. The defused light in the second shot helps enormously with detail and colours IMHO. I think I will giver up bird photography in full sunlight :-O

Attachments

• swallow04.jpg
    swallow04.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 317
  • swallow 01.jpg
    swallow 01.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
I'm with you Roy. I hate full sun, really prefer diffused.

Phil
The funny thing is Phil, I go out in nice sunlight and the targets look lovely and bright in the viewfinder and the images look OK on the Cameras LCD but when I get home and download them to the PC I am most always disappointing. It is the opposite when I shoot in overcast conditions, I never expect a lot but when I get home and download them I am often pleasantly surprised.

The funny thing is Phil, I go out in nice sunlight and the targets look lovely and bright in the viewfinder and the images look OK on the Cameras LCD but when I get home and download them to the PC I am most always disappointing. It is the opposite when I shoot in overcast conditions, I never expect a lot but when I get home and download them I am often pleasantly surprised.

I can understand that, as long as exposed to the right and whilst overcast there is plenty of light I'm happy. The answer is in your images!

Phil

First light and last light with the sun low is great. Otherwise it's not very good.
I love soft light on a lightly cloudy day. It kicks butt! Especially for white subjects.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back