• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Universal tripod adapter review continued (1 Viewer)

dmcharg

Having now used this tripod adapter I can now give some further feedback. Actually I may have been a little quick to judge this tripod adapter. My original comments can be found here -

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=361138

In the field I find I now use it with and without the strap. There is more than enough friction between the binocular and the mount so you can simply rest the binoculars on the provided platform. I always have the binocular strap round my neck so no risk of dropping. I also like that its very quick to rest the binocular on the mount making it very easy to switch between hand held and mounted with minimal noise/hassle. Without the strap I can use my left hand to hold the binocular on the head with one finger on the focus knob. With the right hand I hold the DH101 handle making it very easy to pan.

The Swarovski CT traveler tripod and DH101 head really is a great combination for mounted binocular viewing and I have become totally addicted. Even with smaller binoculars such as the 8x32 when mounted it makes a huge difference, you can pan and follow fast moving birds or you can spend extended time studying something. Using the tripod substantially reduces the stress on your arms/back/neck etc. I've spent countless hours being able to view all sorts of wildlife. In the field I extend the legs fully and adjust the height of the head to be approx eye level. When walking around i fold the legs in but keep them fully extended, this allow me to switch to tripod mounted very very quickly.

Overall its an extremely stable platform and if i am going to do any extended viewing I now always carry the CT Traveler/DH101 head, its light enough that I can walk for hours with this setup and it has transformed my experience of using binoculars for extended viewing. Prior to using this setup I would always find arms/neck/back tire with extended viewing. Panning around with the 8x32 is sublime, that super wide field is just fantastic and its nice to have the option to use the tripod for extended viewing.

I still think Swarovski could make some very simple fixes to this product that would substantially improve it. First is redesign the strap, in my experience you have to apply far too much pressure to get the strap over the binoculars. When using this adapter with the 8x32 Field pro the objective covers get in the way but there is just enough length to binoculars. For it to work more effectively with the all binoculars you could reduce the front to back size of the platform by 10mm which would still provide a big enough platform but allow everything from 8x32 to 10x50 to be used without the EL objective covers getting in the way. The general idea of having a platform to rest the binocular on I think is good and I prefer it to any type of screw mount as I don't think what would allow quick and easy mounting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back