• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me choose Swarovski binoculars from the EL 10x or 12x series or SLC 15x56 (1 Viewer)

Alexandr33

Ukraine
Greetings friends!
I'm going to use binoculars in the city and in nature for long-distance observation. Also for the night sky, stars (planets), satellites, aliens and of course the moon.
I will mainly watch from the hands, but also from a monopod or a tripod as well.
Also of interest are observations of wild animals and shy birds.
While looking at the EL 10x42, 10x50, 12x50 and SLC 10x56, SLC 15x56
Unfortunately in Ukraine there are no latest Swarovski models in stores. To touch and look at them there is no way.
Experience with binoculars is, including with Swarovski (8x20b pocket and CL Companion 8x30).
Of high-magnification binoculars, there is an average level of binoculars in price: x15 astronomical and 12x50 But they do not reach the level of Swarovski.
PS. It is desirable that the light transmittance (%) be at least 90 or even more :)

Last edited:
For night use (especially those pesky dull-grey aliens) you will appreciate 50 or 56mm objectives. I have both SLCs you mention, and have tried both ELs which are also of course excellent. (I preferred the 12x to 10.) I was just out at dusk last evening and found a Red-Tailed Hawk atop a nearby tree, beautiful in the fading reddish light with the 10x56. Technically the ELs are probably superior (except slightly lower transmission) but I love the handling and view of the SLCs, which are also less expensive. They do have a somewhat different character so it's unfortunate that you can't try them out... but you can't go wrong with any of these. Open bridge vs closed feels quite different. The SLCs have a field that's usably sharp out to the edge, if not quite as "flat" as the ELs. The weight/size difference is small. There are very nice reviews of all these on the site scopeviews.co.uk. (P.S. I can handhold even 15x pretty well for short periods of time, and that's a fabulous bino also.)

"I will mainly watch from the hands, but also from a monopod or a tripod as well."

"P.S. I can handhold even 15x pretty well for short periods of time, and that's a fabulous bino also."

I agree with Tenex, that I can handhold my SLC 15s for short periods of time and that they are fabulous. I think they are much more fabulous when on a tripod though, and I mainly use them on the tripod with only occasional hand-holding - kind of the opposite of what you are talking about. If you want the high magnification, then I can't recommend the 15s enough.

I don't think any single binocular is going to do all you want well. Getting an x50 or x56 for night time astro use means your city and nature observations will be with a heavy binocular. For me, usually doing astro observation, I'm sitting down or on a recliner or have the instrument mounted, so weight is not so much a problem. For hand-held use in the field, I think the weight will start to ... weigh down on you. On the other hand, an 8x32 or 10x42 (or many other smaller combos) will be good for hand use and carrying around on walks/hikes, but not as good for night time astro use.

You could have a 1.2kg SLC 10x56, for example, or a 0.8kg EL 10x42, or even a 0.6kg EL 10x32. That half a kilo will add up if your taking it on long walks. It is also a lot bigger and bulky. So, I think that is the question you need to answer: what are you willing to carry around with you. You might also ask which use is most important to you to do often and do well. Buy for the 80%-90% usage, not the 10% or 20% tail.

Marc

If you live in a city with elevated light pollution, you will need at least a 12X50 to obtain some nice views at night. On the other hand a nice 10X42 EL SV is light and nimble (compared to a 10/15X56 SLC) and could be the right compromise as it will provide great daytime views. It really depends what is your viewing priority is.

Andy W.

SLC 15x56 W B & EL 12x50 W B

Many thanks for the advice.
I work as a professional photographer https://www.facebook.com/Olexandr2013
And for me to hold in my hands the hardest photo technique, the usual thing. For example, as Nikon D5 with a Nikon 200mm f 2.0 lens.
Taking into account my existing binoculars, I tend to choose from two options:
- SLC 15x56 W B
- EL 12x50 W B
The first (SLC) is cheaper and optically more powerful. But harder, with a smaller viewing field ...
I wonder how much difference there will be in recognizing small parts at large distances. And what's the difference with astronomical observations?

Many thanks for the advice.
I work as a professional photographer https://www.facebook.com/Olexandr2013
And for me to hold in my hands the hardest photo technique, the usual thing. For example, as Nikon D5 with a Nikon 200mm f 2.0 lens.
- SLC 15x56 W B
- EL 12x50 W B
The first (SLC) is cheaper and optically more powerful. But harder, with a smaller viewing field ...
I wonder how much difference there will be in recognizing small parts at large distances. And what's the difference with astronomical observations?

If you are used to camera 35mm focal lengths, an approximation is 50 * magnification = focal length, so 15x is about 750mm (e.g. 500mm on a 1.5x crop sensor) and 12x is about 600mm (on FF).

Long distance observation will always be subject to shake and to heat distortion, so your mileage will vary. I'm not sure how good a 15x would be handheld, at least for any long period of time. I would think it's going to get kind of shaky. It's 1.2kg.

Another issue is with a camera, one usually is not holding it up to your face to long periods, it's up and down and up and down. Or if you are, you use a monopod. With a binocular, at least for me, I like to hold it up for longer periods to truly look at the subject. So, weight matters more.

Personally, I use a 10x42 and 8.5x42 and 8x32, so I do not have direct experience with those options you list. If I want more than 10, I use my 60mm/32x wide angle spotting scope on a tripod.

Marc

Marc

marcsantacurz, тhank you for the clarification. I have a Cabelas HD Intensiti 12x50. And it is quite convenient to observe it with hands on ground objects. But behind a starry sky without a tripod and a monopod you cannot get a clear image, and it is tiresome to hold the image without blurring it.
It is not expensive binoculars with good quality, as for its price.
Swarovski is far from him in terms of image quality and detail.
PS. Completely missed another destination. This photographing smartphone through binoculars :)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
- SLC 15x56 W B
- EL 12x50 W B
...I wonder how much difference there will be in recognizing small parts at large distances. And what's the difference with astronomical observations?
Those are both excellent and you should be very happy with either, according to personal taste. Mathematically, the difference between 12 and 15x is like that between 8 and 10x: noticeable but not life-changing. Especially for astronomy, be sure to read the reviews I mentioned on scopeviews.co.uk. (Roger loved both of these Swaros, they're his top recommendations.)

TENEX, thanks so much for the link to binocular reviews! Very informative and clear.
As I understand it, for me the most versatile binoculars will be
Swarovski EL 12x50
I will collect money for the purchase and when I collect the necessary amount, I will buy on eBay

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back