• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binoculars for work (1 Viewer)

bh46118

I use a pair of 12X Bushnell H2O for finding holes in spouts on grain elevators, checking drive belts, oil leaks, basically to ID problems 100' to 150' up. Saves me a lot of ladder time. I'm interested to see if they help anyone else on their job.

Bruce

I'm a building contractor and I sometimes use binoculars to check out something near the peak of the roof (roof flashing around a vent, etc.) but I use the built in range finder (8x42 Geovids) almost daily. I can measure for the amount of wire needed for an underground service or rough measure a lot I'm thinking about buying without even bothering with a measuring tape and lots of time don't even have to get out of the truck.

We often build some of our larger custom homes in rural areas and with the Geovids I've always got some good binos for the wildlife and night skies when I get to the job before daybreak.

Steve

I'm a building contractor and I sometimes use binoculars to check out something near the peak of the roof (roof flashing around a vent, etc.) but I use the built in range finder (8x42 Geovids) almost daily. I can measure for the amount of wire needed for an underground service or rough measure a lot I'm thinking about buying without even bothering with a measuring tape and lots of time don't even have to get out of the truck.

We often build some of our larger custom homes in rural areas and with the Geovids I've always got some good binos for the wildlife and night skies when I get to the job before daybreak.

Steve

Steve:

Great idea, I did not know you could use those to measure things as you
do.

Another nice option, is as you use these 90% for your contracting business,
they are an equipment expense. ;)

Jerry

That's interesting Steve. I sometimes use a rangefinder to get a rough Idea on grain spouting length, but it takes a tape measure for a final cut. Maybe I need a pair of Geovids for my millwright work. :-O

Bruce

Steve

I work in physics labs, and sometimes the readouts necessary to the data are scattered about a large room: the computer you're sitting at which controls most of the stuff, another computer somewhere that passively monitors several things, an oscilloscope over there, a vacuum gauge over yonder, etc. I've used binoculars in the lab to save walking.

Also, I sometimes use surveying instruments that am not familiar with and don't understand very well at first, to align parts in a vacuum beamline, through which ion beams must pass. A simple 8x magnified view down the line is a good reality check, when trying to get the double pass autocollimating theodolite, or some such nonsense to me, to work right.

This all comes pretty natural, since I carry a binocular to look for birds and other wildlife on my morning walks before work, and my little trek through the canyon on my way home.

Curiously, binoculars used to be verboten in the high security areas here, but have been removed from the contraband list for about ten years now. No chips, no evil spy potential, seems to be the modern philosophy. A guard randomly inspected my backpack when I was heading out one day, pulled out my 8x42 FL and pronounced it "nice". Hunting is huge here, those guard dudes know their stuff. "Thanks", I said and walked off, a free man.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back