• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyrannids from northern and central Colombia, June (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi,

I'm still working through photos from old trips, and while a combination of eBird, google images, and a guide to the birds of Peru do the trick for most, there are still a few where I'd love some help.

Here goes.

The first one was taken in Tayrona, on May 27. I'm thinking Yellow-bellied Elaenia?

The second is from Minca, Magdalena, on June 3rd. Might it be a Tropical pewee?

The next two are from Caqueza, 20 km SE of Bogota, taken on June 5th
I'm thinking Yellow-olive flycatcher (which I understand doesn't have black auriculars in Colombia) and Yellow-bellied elaenia again?

The last one was taken on June 7th, between Otun Quimbaya and Ucumari, Risaralda. My guess would be Pale-edged flycatcher?

Thanks in advance

T

Attachments

• IMGP5868.JPG
    IMGP5868.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMGP7343.JPG
    IMGP7343.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMGP7932.JPG
    IMGP7932.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP7980.JPG
    IMGP7980.JPG
    450.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMGP8573.JPG
    IMGP8573.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 107
Hi

1 - looks ok for Yellow-bellied to me
2 - Pewee sp, perhaps not tropical for me
3 - yes to Yellow-olive fly
4 - Elaenia for sure but looks curiously short-billed. Is Mountain at Otun? I can't recall and haven't looked at the books
5 - I'll pass on the Myiarchus!

cheers, alan

Wow, thanks for the quick answer, Alan!

Tropical is by far the commonest pewee in Minca (according to eBird), the other 2 being eastern and western wood-pewees. I'm way out of my depth here, and of course I don't have a recording...

As for the 4th photo, it was taken in Risaralda, not at Otun. Mountain elaenia also occurs frequently there, but I'd thought the bird's rather yellowish breast pointed more towards, well, yellow-bellied.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back