• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonfly & damselfly sightings 2020 (1 Viewer)

I presume that date is inaccurate as apparently NHBS has just dispatched my copy?

Amazon have been quoting a date this week, while other sites were giving 14 July. I'd assumed the difference of dates meant it had slipped back, but perhaps it's actually been brought forward.

Tha 2nd edition of Collins Dragonflies is out 20 August at £25 from Amazon

I have the first edition of this (Dijkstra & Lewington). It's also excellent, and anyone who prefers paintings rather than photos to help with ID won't find any better. The only issue I had with it was that the distribution maps were rather out of date. I've had the second edition on pre-order since I saw Richard Lewington mention it on Twitter.

Amazon have been quoting a date this week, while other sites were giving 14 July. I'd assumed the difference of dates meant it had slipped back, but perhaps it's actually been brought forward.

It is out now. Mine arrived today along with the equally new Wild Guides Fern guide.

Atropos have advertised it in stock too.

I was pleased to find my first Downy Emerald locally yesterday at a golf course pond in Northolt. Also a couple of Emperors- my first this year & a Hairy. Managed 10 Odonata species which isn't bad for west London in May!

The usual suspects in our garden - but I do like a beautiful demoiselle.

Attachments

• beautiful demoiselle ex IMG_0935 (1000).JPG
    beautiful demoiselle ex IMG_0935 (1000).JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 31
Hit Fittleworth again this morning: eight Clubtails, all green adults of which four perched up for photos. Also Scarce Chaser male and female and loads of Banded Demoiselles.

By the time I left (about midday) the Clubtail action had perceptibly reduced.

Cheers

John

Had 12 Odonata spp on my Bristol patch so far this year, including two patch ticks: Hairy Dragonfly and Scarce Chaser. Takes the patch list to 22. Yet to get a razzy migrant though, so hoping for one this year.

Had 12 Odonata spp on my Bristol patch so far this year, including two patch ticks: Hairy Dragonfly and Scarce Chaser. Takes the patch list to 22. Yet to get a razzy migrant though, so hoping for one this year.

I've had 12 species so far this year locally too. Migrant Hawker is very common here so will have no trouble getting that. I'm surprised you've not had one?

Had a frustrating sighting yesterday- I had a brief glimpse of a slim pale brown hawker, which I suspect could have been a Norfolk Hawker, but not enough detail to count, but can't think of anything else that would fit.

They've certainly emerged in neighbouring Herts so possible. After being surprised to get Downy Emerald + less surprised to get Hairy Dragonfly this year on local ponds I'm getting hopeful about what else might turn up?

New on my patch this morning: a Southern Hawker patrolling just outside the wood, 3 newly emerged Common Darters. Also very good numbers of Four-spotted Chasers with at least 10 at the pond.

New Forest this morning: loads of Golden-ringed Dragonflies on a little stream near Acres Down along with Beautiful Demoiselles, Broad-bodied Chasers and Keeled Skimmers. Golden-rings hanging up readily - nice!

John

I've had 12 species so far this year locally too. Migrant Hawker is very common here so will have no trouble getting that. I'm surprised you've not had one?

Migrant Hawker's common round here too (later in the season). I didn't mean Migrant Hawker when I said "razzy migrant", I meant an unexpected migrant species!

Had a couple more emerging since last post, with Small Red-eyed Damselfly and both demoiselles now out too.

Year list for Ravensroost meadow now up to 8 with black-tailed skimmer and emperor added yesterday. Nothing exciting - at present I'm restricted to locations with few visitors and wide paths, which isn't a common combination, so haven't been able to get to any sites for the less common species. Plus, well, Wiltshire. Bit of a dragonfly desert, really.

A dozen or so four-spotted chasers provided some spectacular dogfights which made up for lack of exotic species.

Year list for Ravensroost meadow now up to 8 with black-tailed skimmer and emperor added yesterday. Nothing exciting - at present I'm restricted to locations with few visitors and wide paths, which isn't a common combination, so haven't been able to get to any sites for the less common species. Plus, well, Wiltshire. Bit of a dragonfly desert, really.

My "new" local patch has brought me 15 species but what was a pond in the old gravel pits, with patrolling Hairy and Downy in the last week of A pril and Scarce Chasers appearing from 2nd May, is now just a very small puddle and we don't have any significant rain in the forecast.

I did see Southern Damselfly at Shipton Bottom (Crockford on the east side) where I saw two people at some distance in a five hour walk (the main Crockford car parks won't open until 1st July)

One of my favourite sites is in VC8 (South Wiltshire) - Cadnam Common -where I've seen 23 species and missed out on Scarce Chaser. But I expect that's a lot closer for me to get to than it is for you :)

Through iRecord - Immature male Black Darter photographed at Town Common (Christchurch) on 2nd June and Lesser Emperor from the Moors Valley Country Park on 1st June.

I seem to get mostly large red and azure damsels in the garden with occasional demoiselles (two species). Common damsel never seems to come. But I do get the odd blue-tailed damsel (see photo). I have had white-legged but not for a long time.
In terms of dragonflies, broad-bodies and four-spotted chasers seem to be the commonest with common darter later in the season.
The diversity seems to have decreased over recent years. I'm not sure whether this is because the water has become less pure or what.

Attachments

• blue-tailed dameslfly ex IMG_1709 (1000).JPG
    blue-tailed dameslfly ex IMG_1709 (1000).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back