• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought (1 Viewer)

At least Nikon MHG owners know that at least for now, they will get serviced or replaced (as I had one with a wondering diopter).

And that's another thing. Nikon hasn't given their customers much incentive to want to pay similar prices to LSZ regardless of how they compare visually.

Wondering? What was it asking? 8-P,... sorry

Last edited:
Kevin,

Yes the MHG is a nice glass, I also use the 8X42 often. At least Nikon MHG owners know that at least for now, they will get serviced or replaced (as I had one with a wondering diopter).

Andy W.

Andy,

Likewise with me. I bought mine from Camera Land and registered it with Nikon on line when I got it. When it shortly developed a wandering diopter I contacted Nikon and returned it to them as instructed and they replaced it with a new one very quickly. It is still working fine after a year.

I would like to note that these Monarch HGs are rumored to be made by Kamakura for Nikon.

Bob

Last edited:
Dennis,

I'm curious. Considering your critical analysis of the EDGs above, why do you think Allbinos ranked the EDGs as high as they did?

Here are Allbinos rankings of the EDGs compared with the rankings of the equivalent Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica binoculars.

The EDG was ranked 1st in the 8x32 class over the #2 Zeiss Victory 8x32T*FL and the #3 Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. The Swarovski EL 8x32 WB came in 11th, behind the 7th place Leica 8x32 UV HD and the #5 Nikon 8x32 SE (a Porro prism).

In the 8x42 class the Nikon 8x42 power EDG came in 2nd behind the Swarovski 8.5x42 power Swarovision but ahead of the #3 Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL. The Leica 8x42 Ultravid came in 7th.

And in the 10x42 class the Nikon 10x42 EDG was ranked first over the #2 ranked Swarovski-10x42 EL Swarovision and the 3rd Place Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and the 4th place Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL and the 5th place Swarovski SLC-neu 10x42WB.

https://www.allbinos.com/rankings.html

Bob
Bob. I know Allbinos ranks the EDG's very high and in many ways they are exceptional but IMO I feel they are darker and more subdued than the other alpha's according to my eyes but everybodies perception of brightness can be different. It is more personal preference than anything. I have had the 8x32 EDG, 7x42 EDG, 8x42 EDG and the 10x32 EDG. This the link to the "The phenomenal but dark Nikon EDG 8x42 - review thread" and Tobias's review on the Nikon EDG's.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=315712
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...ww.greatestbinoculars.com/al...x42review.html

Last edited:
Bob. I know Allbinos ranks the EDG's very high and in many ways they are exceptional but IMO I feel they are darker and more subdued than the other alpha's according to my eyes but everybodies perception of brightness can be different. It is more personal preference than anything. I have had the 8x32 EDG, 7x42 EDG, 8x42 EDG and the 10x32 EDG. This the link to the "The phenomenal but dark Nikon EDG 8x42 - review thread" and Tobias's review on the Nikon EDG's.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...ww.greatestbinoculars.com/al...x42review.html

Dennis,

Thanks for those links from Tobias; particularly the first link. I am going to post it here again so no one misses it because the discussion we are having now took place before!

Do you remember Brock?

He has much to say in it about the brightness and colors of the Nikon EDGs and LXLs.

I was also part of that conversation. I had forgotten it and it was a real pleasure, not to say re-education, to read it again!

You have to scroll down to Post #9 where the discussion of color and brightness begins with a statement by Brock:

"The EDG has the best of both worlds when it comes to transmission, because the light spectrum "curve" is rather flat with a slight bump in the blue and a longer and higher bump in the red.

While 89.8+/- 1.5% transmission that Arek found is a few points behind the HT and SF, it's the emphasis that Zeiss puts on the middle of the spectrum (green-yellow) in its AR coatings that makes the HT and SF seem even brighter when compared side by side with the EDG since the middle of the spectrum is where our eyes are the most sensitive. Zeiss alphas are optimized for low light, the EDG and Premier for daylight."

Note that the EDG and Premier (formerly known as LXL) are optimized "for daylight."

Incidentally Dennis, you made a comment at post 23.

Bob

It is kind of funny to be rehashing something after 7 years isn't it? I certainly do remember Brock! WHAT a character! He always had MUCH to say! I know now at least I am consistent. I felt the same way 7 years ago except I wouldn't say the LX is the worst binocular I have ever used! I have used much worse ones since then! Nikon's always were red biased that is why they appear darker and warmer than a Zeiss or Swarovski especially in low light. The latest Nikon 8x30 EII's with the updated coatings got rid of some of that red bias.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob for that post, perhaps that is why I love using them (LX/EDGs) during the daytime under sunny conditions. To my eyes they are a pleasure to view under bright conditions.

Andy W,

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to a great thread.

Today I met a new BF acquaintance at the Texas City dike for 2 hours of comparing @ 12 different alpha bins. For context in addition to the models referenced below we had, among others, the Habicht 10x42 (sublime) and the SV FP 12x50 ("Mine eyes have seen the Glory"!).

Back on topic -- and granted the following is based on personal preference, ergonomics, intended/best use, etc. -- he is a well kitted out binocular buff and an award winning bird photographer who was interested in comparing my EDG II 7x42 with his Leica UV+ and Zeiss FL 7x42's. He immediately preferred the EDG, immediately as in, immediately upon raising it to his eyes before adjusting for our considerable difference in diopter correction.

Next format:He became curious, more curious than interested frankly, in our exchange of emails to schedule the comparison about why my favorite format is the 10x32 so I brought my four 10x32 alphas. He was hugely and again immediately impressed by the EDG 10x32 and repeated several times he could not believe the 10x32 format was not much more highly regarded. With 11 other alphas on the table, he would not put the 10x32 EDG down once he picked it up.

Looping back to the topic, he owns and loves the SW FP 8x32 and remarked based on that experience it seemed best to go with an EDG 7 (or 10) rather than an 8 EDG because on balance the 7 more than made up for the -1 magnification with its other advantages.

For me the highlights were his SW 12x50, the surprisingly light Zeiss FL 7x42 (AK prisms!) and the Habicht.

Actually......NO.

Throwing out subjective ideas/thoughts/feelings/etc....when comparing Allbino's transmission percent light transmission graphs, ACTUAL objective DATA, the EDG II 8X42 actually betters the SV 8.5X42 at practically every visible color on the spectrum. From PURPLE to BLUE thru RED the EDG II 8X42 betters the SV 8.5X42. Combining the listed figure of 87.8% of the SV vs. 89.8% for the EDG AND looking at the Allbino's transmission graphs listed for each(see below) is completely indicative of being at the very LEAST every BIT as bright as an SV 8.5X42 if not BRIGHTER. And I CAN take pictures of the exit pupils of each...which won't fare well for the SV.

The EDG is SMALLER....2 ounces LIGHTER....smoothest focus AVAILABLE....just facts. I have three EDGs...ZERO slack in any of the three....ZERO.

So to say the EDG is DIM/DARK...ROTFLMAO! One can SEE what they want to I suppose, but facts really ARE facts.

BTW....my EDG 7X42 IS a used one and a perfect specimen. A little good judgement goes a long way. No warranty issues or otherwise with any Nikon binocular I've ever owned. I think I'll be ok! LOL!

Attachments

• 66072_nikon_8x42_edg.jpg
    66072_nikon_8x42_edg.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 75559_swarovski.jpg
    75559_swarovski.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 42
  • C1B509A4-5BF4-4AFC-921D-CE004145F347.jpeg
    C1B509A4-5BF4-4AFC-921D-CE004145F347.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your contributions to a great thread.

Today I met a new BF acquaintance at the Texas City dike for 2 hours of comparing @ 12 different alpha bins. For context in addition to the models referenced below we had, among others, the Habicht 10x42 (sublime) and the SV FP 12x50 ("Mine eyes have seen the Glory"!).

Back on topic -- and granted the following is based on personal preference, ergonomics, intended/best use, etc. -- he is a well kitted out binocular buff and an award winning bird photographer who was interested in comparing my EDG II 7x42 with his Leica UV+ and Zeiss FL 7x42's. He immediately preferred the EDG, immediately as in, immediately upon raising it to his eyes before adjusting for our considerable difference in diopter correction.

Next format:He became curious, more curious than interested frankly, in our exchange of emails to schedule the comparison about why my favorite format is the 10x32 so I brought my four 10x32 alphas. He was hugely and again immediately impressed by the EDG 10x32 and repeated several times he could not believe the 10x32 format was not much more highly regarded. With 11 other alphas on the table, he would not put the 10x32 EDG down once he picked it up.

Looping back to the topic, he owns and loves the SW FP 8x32 and remarked based on that experience it seemed best to go with an EDG 7 (or 10) rather than an 8 EDG because on balance the 7 more than made up for the -1 magnification with its other advantages.

For me the highlights were his SW 12x50, the surprisingly light Zeiss FL 7x42 (AK prisms!) and the Habicht.

HAHA! I completely know where the Texas City dike is and have been there a couple of times! What a great birding spot. That was the first place I saw an American Oystercatcher and a Monk Parakeet, LOL! That whole area in there from Texas City to Galveston island are great birding spots. I wish I lived closer.

I have to agree with you concerning the SV 12X50. I really don't know why it's not used more in the birding community. That FL 7X42 is some of Zeiss's best work IMO.

These pictures by Tobias really show why the EDG's appear dark and the link goes into a more detailed explanation. Easy to see how dark the EDG's are from the photo's. This what you actually see through an EDG with your eyes.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/articles/coloursandbrightness.html

Dennis
But those images are deliberately darkened (under-exposed) to make any colour-cast more visible, and this is mentioned in the caption to the photos ("the images were darkened by the same amount to middle grey") and explained via the link.

Lee

Dennis
But those images are deliberately darkened (under-exposed) to make any colour-cast more visible, and this is mentioned in the caption to the photos ("the images were darkened by the same amount to middle grey") and explained via the link.

Lee
But knowing Tobias they are all darkened equally so the EDG still looks darker in relation the others. ("the images were darkened by the same amount to middle grey"). I trust his pictures. Your correct jgraider in a way trusting your own eyes is the best way to judge a binocular. Everybodies eyes and perception of color and brightness are different so we are all going to see things a little differently. I like the Habicht's optically but Allbino's does not rate them very high and I like the Swarovski SV's but a lot of people criticize them for glare and I admit in certain situations they do show glare but when you consider all their good assets I stlll prefer them over other binoculars. IMO and to my eyes the EDG is a little darker than the other alpha binoculars. I noticed it when I would compare them to my other alpha's. When I would go back and forth with the EDG and my other binoculars I felt something was missing with the EDG and then I figured it out that it was the lack of brightness and sparkle that I was missing. That is just one downfall of the EDG IMO just like glare is in the SV's but overall they are fantastic binoculars and it is too bad Nikon let them die. Well, I don't think they sold very well compared to the other alpha's either. I never saw a birder using one to be frank and then it didn't help that Nikon didn't support them or try to iron out the small problems with them. It is kind of like beating a dead horse because the EDG is dead. Long live the EDG! Bring on the MHG. There is still a lot of interest in the EDG's though because the Japanese are flooding the market with them on Ebay. You can get a new EDG from Japan with shipping for $1100.00 to $1400.00 and that is cheaper really than any alpha you can get. I bought my last two a 7x42 EDG and a 10x32 EDG from Japan. The 10x32 EDG had backlash in the focuser so the seller told me to send it back which I did and then he tried to deduct $500.00 from my refund for the binocular being used and I had it out of the box a couple times. I called Ebay and got my FULL refund in less than 15 minutes. So watch out. That seller was Lush-Nine in Japan.

Last edited:
Here where I live I get a lot of sunny days, and that is when I go out hiking/ and for nature observation. If I go out at night, dusk or early before dawn, I have larger aperture glass for that. When I buy glass, I have in the majority of time tried/used them before I obtained them, and I did not buy the EDG to resell. I will be using them for quite a while and could careless what others think of the EDG. Best flat field with great glare control and a pleasure when panning scenes, and extremely well built.

Andy W.

Nikon are their own worst enemy. They lack tradition and continuity with their products. They'll introduce a line of products and then let them die a slow death by poor support and poor supply.

Not really and certainly not with their best binoculars!:eek!:

The Nikon LX series began about 2002 and continued through 2008 with the LXL series after which it continued under the name Premier as Nikon's 2nd Line when it was discontinued along with the EDG in March 2018. That totals 16 years!

The Nikon E2 Porro prism series still continues after almost 20 years and Nikon's even older Porro prism SE series lasted almost 20 years!:t:

Bob

These pictures by Tobias really show why the EDG's appear dark and the link goes into a more detailed explanation. Easy to see how dark the EDG's are from the photo's. This what you actually see through an EDG with your eyes.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/articles/coloursandbrightness.html

I like many posting here I'm sure have read this particular review. I'm currently posting from my phone so not the best monitor but anyway here's what I'm seeing - in order of brightest to most dim it appears UV, SF, HT, EDG.
Regarding the validity of this test I'd call it questionable at best. While I think the publisher believes he's on to something I don't think he's conducted a worthwhile scientific test.
Make of it what you will.
Unfortunately it seems some here have the attitude that if it's not what you choose then everyone else is wrong. While there are many excellent choices out there the EDG remains among the top performing binoculars in their class and no, they are not dim.
I could further praise my 8x32 EDG for their amazing view, handling and leading focus feel but I really don't need to.
Regarding the whole purpose of this thread I'll give it away, Tom ended up with a 7x42 EDG which I'm sure he'll thoroughly enjoy and I look forward to his assessment for good, bad or indifferent.

Nikon are their own worst enemy. They lack tradition and continuity with their products. They'll introduce a line of products and then let them die a slow death by poor support and poor supply.

The Nikon LX series began about 2002 and continued through 2008 with the LXL series after which it continued under the name Premier as Nikon's 2nd Line when it was discontinued along with the EDG in March 2018. That totals 16 years!

The Nikon E2 Porro prism series still continues after almost 20 years and Nikon's even older Porro prism SE series lasted almost 20 years!:t:

Bob

That's part of what I meant. LX LXL LXHG Premier HG. Do I have that right? I can't recall exactly. I never knew what the differences were amongst them.
SEs discontinued and EIIs pulled from the US market leaving a big void with porros.

But more to the point is the way Nikon has handled their spotting scopes.
They never addressed the need for a wider field zoom EP for the Fieldscopes.
They quit producing certain EPs like the MC wides while the 82 and 60mm Fieldscopes were still available.
They had poor support for digiscoping with their Fieldscopes.
They discontinued the 82 and 60mm Fieldscopes ( some of the best spotting scopes produced IMO) and went all-in with their EDG scopes of which were heavy, expensive, and now discontinued.

Monarch is their "Premier" line in both binoculars and spotting scopes now.
Nikon is known for not repairing their stuff but replacing it. That can't be done very well when that stuff no longer exists, can it?

Last edited:

Bob

Not to be contrary, but Kevin is entirely correct imho, Nikon indeed has suffered because of a fickle product policy.

Note the Swaro Habicht porro, comparable to the Nikon E and EII models, dates back to 1948. The Zeiss Jena Deltrintem lasted from the 1920s till the dissolution of that enterprise in the 1990s.
Binoculars change only gradually, as the engineering space is well mapped.
So 16 years with 3 name changes seems more frantic than deliberate.
Admittedly, neither Zeiss nor Leica either showed anything comparable to Swarovski's consistent model policy, so Nikon had good company.

Still, the EDG stands out as a top tier line, including some superbly built and technically innovative stabilized scopes, which was terminated before it had really built any substantial market following or presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back