• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few days in England - where to spend them? (1 Viewer)

SteveClark

G'day all

As part of an extended tour I was planning to spend about 5 days in England in late April. My son has been working in Brighton and I was going to be based there. He's now coming home to Australia in a couple of weeks (something to do with your recent weather I gather) so I have those days - Heathrow-Heathrow - with no familial or other ties. I'd like to spend a couple of days in London (never having been there before) but would appreciate some thoughts on where to spend 2-3 days strictly birding.

I spent a few weeks in Ireland in 2005 so have seen some of your birds but would like to see more. I would be happy to hire a car for a few days.

Norfolk or Devon perhaps? Suggestions please.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Australia
http://members.datafast.net.au/~clarkja/swvicbirds/

G'day all

As part of an extended tour I was planning to spend about 5 days in England in late April. My son has been working in Brighton and I was going to be based there. He's now coming home to Australia in a couple of weeks (something to do with your recent weather I gather) so I have those days - Heathrow-Heathrow - with no familial or other ties. I'd like to spend a couple of days in London (never having been there before) but would appreciate some thoughts on where to spend 2-3 days strictly birding.

I spent a few weeks in Ireland in 2005 so have seen some of your birds but would like to see more. I would be happy to hire a car for a few days.

Norfolk or Devon perhaps? Suggestions please.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Australia
http://members.datafast.net.au/~clarkja/swvicbirds/

I think it depends what you are after. If you want to see a lot of birds then Dungeness would be a good place - it's not very far from Brighton, for one thing.

But if you want to see England and its countryside and see some birds along the way, Dungeness does not have the advantage of being much of a beauty spot.

Norfolk & Devon are both good, but I would also consider combining Dorset (Portland/Radipole/Lodmoor) with the New Forest (in Hampshire). Perhaps try posting requests for suggested itineraries/possible species on the relevant county sub-fora and see which one excites you the most. Or you could throw caution to the wind and go for quality over quantity; with a bit of research and a lot of driving there's no reason why you couldn't knock off a few of the Scottish goodies (four Grouse species in a day; always floats my boat).

I'd love to hear what you decide, and how you fare.

Best of luck

James

But if you want to see England and its countryside and see some birds along the way, Dungeness does not have the advantage of being much of a beauty spot.

It's got a certain beauty ;) ... and largest shingle/gravel area in Europe or something like that.... Oh and a bird observatory and reasonable RSPB reserve. As part of a Kent/South East England trip could be on the itinerary...

Anyway, there are other areas good for birds, as you say. The South West (Devon, Dorset) or Norfolk are certainly good. I guess Scotland could be a bit of a stretch if you only had a few days....

Guess you've seen this for some basic starting points;

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/uk.html

If you wanted someone to go birding with you can try the 'Birdingpals' website, or ask on here. (I'd always be tempted to accompany you if it was a case of a couple of days birding... ;) )

Getting some quality birding in wherever you decide should be good. Good luck.

G'day all

Thanks for the tips so far. I have a friend in Newton St. Cyres, Devon. My current thinking is to get a hire car at Heathrow, spend a night with my friend and visit a couple of birding spots in Devon then return the car to Heathrow via Pulborough Brooks in West Sussex.

I guess I'd like to see everything possible of course but have some preferences: waterfowl, waders, woodpeckers, warblers (a bit of a W trend here for some reason).

Birds I saw in Ireland in 2005 can be seen on my website:

http://members.datafast.net.au/~clarkja/swvicbirds/Trip_reports_files/Ireland.pdf

I'd rather spend quality time at two or three locations than dash around.

Any chance of Red Kites down that way?

Time is running out for planning so I'd appreciate any advice and will gladly reciprocate when you all visit sw Victoria, Australia (no bushfires of note down this way so far this summer).

After my three days in Devon and Sussex I'll do a two day science tour of London (Greenwich, Natural History Museum, Kew Gardens). Any advice on a quality, not too expensive B&B in London to achieve this would also be most welcome.

Many thanks
Steve

Hi
If you want to take in the Somerset Levels on your way to or from Devon
I am at a loose end at the moment and could spend some time showing you around.
PM me if interested.

Hi Steve

Not too far from Newton St Cyres are two RSPB reserves that might be of interest. Aylesbeare Common (Dartford Warbler, Green Woodpecker) & Bowling Green Marsh (part of their Exe Estuary group of reserves, with Cetti's Warbler, Waders & Wildfowl). RSPB website should have details. Also might be worth checking Devon Wildlife Trust website for a woodland reserve that holds Wood Warbler, Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker etc. and maybe a moorland one that's good for Ring Ouzel (although I'm a bit hazy about Ring Ouzel distribution down that way so it might be that they're not that easy). Also make sure you keep checking any fast flowing streams or rivers for Dipper, Goosander etc. There are Cirl Bunting close to Exeter; I'm not quite sure where but you might be able to dig something up by asking in the Devon sub-forum.

En-route back to London a good stop off would be the Weymouth area in Dorset, with Waders & Wildfowl (sometimes including scarcer species such as Wood Sandpiper & Garganey), more Cetti's Warblers & Bearded Tits at Radipole & Lodmoor (two more RSPB reserves) and often good numbers of passage migrants and/or seabird passage down at Portland (weather dependant of course), not forgetting to stop and scan the harbour (eg from Sandsfoot Castle) although it might be getting a bit late by then for Sea Duck, Grebes etc, and check Ferrybridge for waders.

As for Red Kites, I gather The Chilterns is stiff with them these days, so if you can shoe-horn in a detour up to the area bertween Oxford and High Wycombe at some point during daylight hours and try not to keep your eyes shut you stand a good chance. Introduced plastic rubbish of course, you'll have to come visit Wales for some proper wild ones! ;)

So many options, so little time!

All the best, and I hope you have a grand time!

James

You shouldn't have to detour too far on the way back from the west country to London to see Red Kites. I see them most times I drive along the A34 near East Ilsley, just 10km north of the M4. Well worth a short time pootling through some quintessential English chalk downland.

G'day all

I've hired a car and booked into a hotel in Kenton (a few miles south of Exeter) for two nights. There are some good spots around - two RSPB reserves thanks James - and I'll pop into Pulborough Brooks on the way back to London. Too little time for much else on this trip I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back