• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choices ? (1 Viewer)

Alan J

I have to buy a new tripod, broke mine today, looking through the archived queries here it appears that the 701RC2 and the 443 legs are the way to go, I use a Kowa 601.

Am I right?

they are fine, but check you height compatibility before splashing out. they are priced around £280 for the head and legs. i needed a higher tripod so opted for the 055nat3 with 128rc head, spot on for my 6ft and only £160! - bargain.

Alan, on behalf of the admin and moderating team, welcome to BirdForum.

I have the 443 legs, but with the 128RC head. I believe the 702 head is a good one. As Salty says, it's best to see what the full height is like and also take into account whether you have an angled or straight scope.

Hi Alan, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.
Manfrotto have replaced the 440 series with the new Magfiber range, they do a 055 and 190 series in carbon... which corresponds to the tradition alloy ones so beloved of birders.
The head you mention is excellent as far as i'm concerned... but your compact and lightweight scope will be happy on most of the Manfrotto fluid heads.
cheers,
Andy

For a Kowa 601 (i.e. small, lightweight scope), the Manfrotto kit you describe would be overkill, IMO. Something lighter, for instance In Focus' Delta IV (see <here>) or similar would be fine I'd imagine. Also considerably cheaper, so you can save some money towards a bigger and better scope, should you wish to.

Oh, and welcome to BF!

Last edited:
dbradnum said:
For a Kowa 601 (i.e. small, lightweight scope), the Manfrotto kit you describe would be overkill, IMO. Something lighter, for instance In Focus' Delta IV (see <here>) or similar would be fine I'd imagine. Also considerably cheaper, so you can save some money towards a bigger and better scope, should you wish to.

I have the delta tripod and hide clamp and find it works well, but if you intend to start digiscoping with a larger/heavier scope (I use a Kowa 822) then it may not be quite up to the job.

AndyC

Thanks for the welcome and the advice folks, weight is a big issue for me Salty so will probably go with the 055MF, I hope trade up to an 823 by Christmas so I should be well set up then.

Hi,

I've just posted a review of the Velbon Delta in the equipment reviews section and basically said the same as dbradnum. The Delta is fine for small, light scopes, lower magnifications and non-extreme birding. Suits most of the people most of the time and if you can get on for £39 it's a steal.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back