• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (1 Viewer)

Hmmm must be a juvenile Jackal Buzzard. Cant see it being anything else.

Lark \ Pipit, I will recheck my images, Large Billed Lark is in there somewhere....lol

Hi SA Birdforum!

I am in South Africa right now but will be leaving from Cape Town on Sunday evening... before I leave I'm interested in birding at Constantia Greenbelts (SA Birdfinder says that's a good site for Knysna Warbler).
Unfortunately because we're leaving the country that evening we'll have all of our bags in the car. Does anyone know if there's secure parking at that site?
Sorry for the very specific question!

Hi SA Birdforum!

I am in South Africa right now but will be leaving from Cape Town on Sunday evening... before I leave I'm interested in birding at Constantia Greenbelts (SA Birdfinder says that's a good site for Knysna Warbler).
Unfortunately because we're leaving the country that evening we'll have all of our bags in the car. Does anyone know if there's secure parking at that site?
Sorry for the very specific question!

We just parked in a pull-off by the side of the road, felt pretty safe. Lousy site for Knysna Warbler though (in my and many others'experience). There are much better sites (eg Grootvadersbosch NR) if you really want to see this bird, but further from Cape Town.

Last edited:
We'll be visiting South Africa in January/February and besides touring the South Coast we plan to stay near Cape Town for a week (already booked a pelagic February 4!). Of course we want to see some of the sights of Cape Town itself, but also do some birding an the area. Would there be a preference in choosing to stay on the west side (Simon's Town/Fishhoek etc) or on the east side (e.g. Gordon's Bay) as far as birding areas are concerned? We'd rather stay in one place for the week. Suggestions for (affordable) accommodation welcome, too, of course :)

Thanks in advance
Peter

birdthing I'm absolutely certain you will see plenty of birds and get some wonderful photos. It will be very hot at that time of year and you will need good malaria prophylaxis. If there is anything regarding Kruger I can help you with in terms of info, feel free to ask.

We'll be visiting South Africa in January/February and besides touring the South Coast we plan to stay near Cape Town for a week (already booked a pelagic February 4!). Of course we want to see some of the sights of Cape Town itself, but also do some birding an the area. Would there be a preference in choosing to stay on the west side (Simon's Town/Fishhoek etc) or on the east side (e.g. Gordon's Bay) as far as birding areas are concerned? We'd rather stay in one place for the week. Suggestions for (affordable) accommodation welcome, too, of course :)

Thanks in advance
Peter

Sorry Peter I don't know the Cape very well but i do know that there are some very good birding spots to the West. The west Coast National Park and Langebaan lagoon is one of the top ones. It is approximately an hour and a half drive from CT. Then in CT itself there is Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens - another brilliant birding spot. Simonstown area and boulders beach is good, and the Table Mountain National Park. I cant help with accommodation I'm afraid. Good luck!

Sorry Peter I don't know the Cape very well but i do know that there are some very good birding spots to the West. The west Coast National Park and Langebaan lagoon is one of the top ones. It is approximately an hour and a half drive from CT. Then in CT itself there is Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens - another brilliant birding spot. Simonstown area and boulders beach is good, and the Table Mountain National Park. I cant help with accommodation I'm afraid. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply, Sal. In the meantime we have managed to find some nice accommodation in Fishhoek, so the south west side. The West Coast NP and Kirstenbosch certainly look very interesting, so we'll be sure to include them!

I will be going to the Kruger NP next year. I am looking at bird apps for my iPhone. Is there one that just has the birds of Kruger NP? As I haven't been able to find one. I have been able to try the lite versions of Sasol and Newmans but haven't found one for Roberts. How does this one differ from the other two.

I like the way Newmans allows you to expand the picture but Sasol doesn't. Helpful if you need reading glasses.

Any thoughts would be welcome

I will be going to the Kruger NP next year. I am looking at bird apps for my iPhone. Is there one that just has the birds of Kruger NP? As I haven't been able to find one. I have been able to try the lite versions of Sasol and Newmans but haven't found one for Roberts. How does this one differ from the other two.

I like the way Newmans allows you to expand the picture but Sasol doesn't. Helpful if you need reading glasses.

Any thoughts would be welcome

I have both the Sasol and Robert apps, though I have yet to try out the latter in the field. They both allow you to limit the species list to certain regions.In the Sasol app you could set it to Limpopo for the Kruger park and it would only show the birds of that province. In the Roberts app you have to drop a pin on a map to get the list for that region.I prefer the Sasol approach. The Roberts app provides extra information on birding sites, which could be useful.
In the Sasol app I can also expand the picture. In the text plus picture view, click on the picture. Then the text disappears and you only see the image, which you can easily expand with your fingers. In the Roberts app you get the 'picture only' view by rotating your device. This picture cannot be expanded. Hope this helps.

My main problem will be i will be travelling with 3 others but they are not interested in birding so i will have to try and get a day with the car without them so i can do more birding if not i will have to get what i can

My main problem will be i will be travelling with 3 others but they are not interested in birding so i will have to try and get a day with the car without them so i can do more birding if not i will have to get what i can

Never easy, but they might enjoy some of the more colourful and exotic looking birds - maybe a good idea to have a spare pair of binoculars handy? I hope you manage to get one day with the car!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back