• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Poor System (1 Viewer)

Is it not the case that the ring combination is the same for ALL birds in the same scheme - the numbers are different?

I don't think so. Here's the reply I received -
"Many thanks for your sightings of colour-ringed Avocet (Yellow over Blue left / Yellow over Red right) at Potteric Carr on 01/05/2017. Unfortunately we cannot say for certain where this bird was ringed because two Avocets have been fitted with the same colour-ring combination. Firstly we ringed one as a chick at Orfordness, Suffolk in 2014 and then in error an Avocet chick was fitted with the same colour-combination at Rutland Water in 2015."

2EDB are you trying to contact Callum? [email protected]
X.058 was easily to track down via http://www.cr-birding.org/node/4078 and you need to email [email protected]

Yes, that was the contact for the BHG. I have resubmitted my report this morning, so we'll see what happens.

The second bird is a GBBG, not a Herring Gull.

if a GBBG not Herring try [email protected]

Report submitted. Took months last time for IoM bird, so not holding my breath.

IoM

Yes, that was the contact for the BHG. I have resubmitted my report this morning, so we'll see what happens.

Report submitted. Took months last time for IoM bird, so not holding my breath.

The Manx Ringing Group now has a different secretary, so replies will be much more prompt now.

I couldn't agree more with comments regarding the standard of reply from 'foreign' ringers/schemes compared with many, by no means all, British ringers and the BTO. I report c.200 colour-ringed birds every year of which at least two thirds are 'foreign'. Schemes involved range the length and breadth of Europe from Czech Republic to Ireland and Norway to Portugal. Almost without exception I receive detailed replies within three or four days and in many cases within twenty four hours. I cannot think of a single European scheme where I have not received a reply. Conversely, some British ringers are dilatory in their reply, to say the least. In some cases I do not even receive an acknowledgement despite persistent hectoring of the scheme co-ordinator. I have contacted the BTO on several occasions concerning this problem which often involves their own employees but receive little other than placatory statements. I don't seem to be able to discover who or what is responsible for overseeing the licensing of colour-ringing in the UK. If it is the BTO, why are they not at least suspending ringing permits of those who cannot be bothered to respond to information?
I could expound further on ringing practices in the UK, such as nefarious targeting of rare species for a ringing 'tick' and of unidentified birds for DNA purposes, but I will leave that for another day. :-C

Report submitted. Took months last time......

Nice quick answer for the GBBG. Bird tagged in 2017 on Isle of May. Recorded again later that year in Belhaven Bay, Lothian. My sighting in March this year is the only other record.

No answer for the BHG yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back