• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many markings per bird? (1 Viewer)

elen.n

I am currently researching bird ringing and ring reading, because I am working on a concept for a ring reading app at work.

I have a question about the various types of markings:

on cr-birding.org (http://www.cr-birding.org/node/112) I read this:
"...Each leg bone can have up to four colour marks attached. Wing and neck up to two..."

What I understand here is that beside four possible marks per leg, there can be two wing tags on each wing and two two neck collars on the same bird. Is this correct?

Thank you :)

That is correct, however most probably never happens. I have seen birds with a neck collar and three rings on their legs, I can't remember any bird with more than 4 markings that I'v seen.

André

Yes, and that is limited as most of the roginal ringing data is not there, just other persons observations of the same bird - there is some ringing data

Black-tailed Godwits are routinely marked with up to six colour rings.

Just seen a Redshank on Facebook with six as well.

Steve

I am currently researching bird ringing and ring reading, because I am working on a concept for a ring reading app at work.

I have a question about the various types of markings:

on cr-birding.org (http://www.cr-birding.org/node/112) I read this:
"...Each leg bone can have up to four colour marks attached. Wing and neck up to two..."

What I understand here is that beside four possible marks per leg, there can be two wing tags on each wing and two two neck collars on the same bird. Is this correct?

Thank you :)
what's a name of bird bro? look like same as a duck

_____
sàn gỗ

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back