• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night vision binoculars (1 Viewer)

mr_birdman

No longer a Canon Snob.
Australia
Hi guys

I hope someone can kindly enlighten me.

When I check night binoculars I often see them as 3.5 x 42 or 4 x 50 etc.

Is the magnification indicated by the 3.5 or 4 and the diameter of the front lens by the 42 or 50? I just find them a little difficult to decipher.

My current day time binoculars are a really really old Zeiss 8x30 so something similar that has full night vision capability would be sufficient. How do I tell what is what?

Sorry if it sounds like a simpleton question. I do, however, intend to observe a lot of owl courtship etc over the coming Sydney autumn/winter starting in March next year.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi guys

I hope someone can kindly enlighten me.

When I check night binoculars I often see them as 3.5 x 42 or 4 x 50 etc.

Is the magnification indicated by the 3.5 or 4 and the diameter of the front lens by the 42 or 50? I just find them a little difficult to decipher.

My current day time binoculars are a really really old Zeiss 8x30 so something similar that has full night vision capability would be sufficient. How do I tell what is what?

Sorry if it sounds like a simpleton question. I do, however, intend to observe a lot of owl courtship etc over the coming Sydney autumn/winter starting in March next year.

Thanks for any tips.

You're correct.
As a general rule you can count that how lower the magnification how brighter the image and how bigger the objective, more light can be collected and a brighter image can be realised.

Having said this:
Nightvision equipment comes in Generations. 0, 1, 2, 2+.Supergeneration, 3 and 4. 3 and 4 are military and everything below that in for civil use.
2+ and Supergeneration are much better than 0, 1 and 2 but the price is also much higher.
So you may compare 0 with 2 and 2+ with Supergeneration.
Zeiss has a 2+ and Swarovski a Supergeneration. Pricedifference 1.500,00 euro's.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back