• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buphagus separation ? (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

According to my field records as well as HBW Alive, there is no or very weak differences in habitat, food, breeding and other details of the behaviour of both Buphagus. Some slight animal preferences where both are present, but they often occur on the same (individual) mammal.

The differences are mainly superficial in plumage/bill colour and calls; and, of course, the range. They are locally sympatric and hybrids are very rare.

However, looking at the map, we can see. B. africanus much more widespread in West Africa while B. erythrorynchus is mainly a Southern and Eastern African species.

I didn't find any publication giving the detail of their origin. I guess the common ancestor was widespread, then it was separate geographically in two and both (West / East) long enough to evolve separately in 2 different species although the efficient behaviour didn't have reason to change at all. I wonder what separated them and and more or less when?

Is there any published research that has been done?

Thanks for help

Maybe Nuclear and mitochondrial sequence data reveal the major lineages of starlings, mynas and related taxa here of any help?

It is a great article, thanks, I managed to find free full pdf online but, unfortunately, it is not replying my questions; informations given are relation between Buphagus and other birds (mainly Mimidae and Sturnidae), but nothing about relation between the 2 Buphagus.

I can't find any genetic study having used data from more than one bird of each of the two species. (And it's not certain that such a study would easily answer the question, anyway.) Although the morphological and ecological divergence seems indeed very limited, the available data suggest that the genetic divergence is quite deep, suggesting the species diverged quite a long time ago. (See, e.g., Lovette & Rubinstein 2007 [pdf here]. Some birds less divergent from one another than these two species are universally treated as allogeneric.)

The persistence in sympatry of two sister species with such a low level of ecological divergence has been regarded as an enigma. (E.g., Koenig 1997: [here].)

...Can't help much more than this, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I can't find any genetic study having used data from more than one bird of each of the two species. (And it's not certain that such a study would easily answer the question, anyway.) Although the morphological and ecological divergence seems indeed very limited, the available data suggest that the genetic divergence seems quite deep, suggesting the species diverged quite a long time ago. (See, e.g., Lovette & Rubinstein 2007 [pdf here]. Some birds less divergent from one another than these two species are universally treated as allogeneric.)

The persistence in sympatry of two sister species with such a low level of ecological divergence has been regarded as an enigma. (E.g., Koenig 1997: [here].)

Actually, it is a great help Laurent, thanks. This is confirming that my thoughts and questions made sense; and also that my failure of finding an answer is not only due to my limited skills. o:)

Cheers B :)

I can't find any genetic study having used data from more than one bird of each of the two species. (And it's not certain that such a study would easily answer the question, anyway.) Although the morphological and ecological divergence seems indeed very limited, the available data suggest that the genetic divergence is quite deep, suggesting the species diverged quite a long time ago. (See, e.g., Lovette & Rubinstein 2007 [pdf here]. Some birds less divergent from one another than these two species are universally treated as allogeneric.)

I read Koenig paper in detail this is really interesting and surprising. Thanks again Laurent ! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back