• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona juvenile Cooper's Hawks (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
I believe this is a pair of juvenile Cooper's Hawks. Taken in southern Arizona into sunrise this past weekend.

Attachments

• COHA mf juveniles 2.jpg
    COHA mf juveniles 2.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 109
Look like Coopers... maybe Juvie Gray Hawks... considering your area.

Perhaps some others might comment.

Fraser

I vote Coop's not Gray Hawks. Besides the fact that to me (and I am NO expert) they look more like Cooper's, I just think it's way easier to find Cooper's nests, juvies, etc. than it is to find the Gray Hawks in Arizona. I think if you were out for Gray Hawks, you might be aware of it, their habitat is (or used to be) a little bit specific, sort of along rivers if IIRC? Cooper's are bold as brass, they're everywhere, we even got them in some kind of city park in Tucson with some kind of fair going on. I'm talking about the events of 11, 12 years ago so don't take my thoughts as gospel just as a possible starting off point. My visit was during the monsoon (July not August) but it was easy to see juvenile Cooper's then.

Last edited:
I vote Coop's not Gray Hawks.... I think if you were out for Gray Hawks, you might be aware of it, their habitat is (or used to be) a little bit specific, sort of along rivers if IIRC?

Interesting you say this... this was right beside the San Pedro River in the Riparian Preserve.

Gray Hawks have been reported here... and the report was that there were two Juvies. Here there were two Juvies but they are looking more and more like Coopers.
I was birding with Matt... here. He got better photos than I did. These shots were right into the sun in the morning.

The "reported Grays" may not have been Grays... or they might be in another tree.

Just probing the possibilities.

Thanks
Fraser

Oho, that may be the very spot where I got the Gray Hawk for my Arizona list. Will have to find my notes...! But that was over a decade ago for me...

Interesting you say this... this was right beside the San Pedro River in the Riparian Preserve.

Gray Hawks have been reported here... and the report was that there were two Juvies. Here there were two Juvies but they are looking more and more like Coopers.
I was birding with Matt... here. He got better photos than I did. These shots were right into the sun in the morning.

The "reported Grays" may not have been Grays... or they might be in another tree.

Just probing the possibilities.

Thanks
Fraser

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back