Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

'Dandelion chips'

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 2nd September 2010, 10:31   #1
thornlv

'Dandelion chips'

Could anyone, especially musoman quote wher they get their AF confirm chips.
Old Thursday 2nd September 2010, 12:37   #2
Aegea

I'm not musoman :-) but I have bought two orders of Nikon chips from jinfinance on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-chip-...item5192dc0f61

Both orders arrived quickly and were perfectly satisfactory. I've used two of the chips, and still have one waiting for my next manual focus lens.
Old Friday 3rd September 2010, 01:12   #3
alphan

You can get them off e-bay. It's known as AF Confirm chips. The better ones are from "James Lao" which can be programmed to your requirement such as aperture and focal length so that any camera with body built in stabiliser can still work well.

Some cheaper chips which will work fine for Focus confirm are as low as US$8 shipped.
Old Friday 3rd September 2010, 11:32   #4
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Hi Thorn - i got all my FC chips ( already on the adapters ) from big_is

Some were straight FC adapters, and some were EMF ( so called dandelion ) FC adapters. I have both types.
Old Saturday 4th September 2010, 00:33   #5
alphan

Musoman, you are a genius. That FC adapter cost no more than the FC chip itself. I did look at my M42 AF Confirm adapter and tried prying it loose but haven't tried hard enough to get it off. Seems a little hard when trying to loosen the glue around the chip area. I don't think that chip can be re-programed.
Old Saturday 4th September 2010, 13:14   #6
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I couldnt be bothered with messing around trying to glue chips in the right place, and it is very critical measuring and a complete pain in the butt.

Its so easy to buy an Adapter already chipped, so i gave up on the DIY option. I only tried it once and threw it away

I have Pentax > EOS and M42 > EOS and Tamron > EOS chipped adapters here. and one M42 > EOS especially for my scope , but it doesn matter about which lens mount, as long as it has EOS body mount, because its expoxied on to my MAX dslr

Last edited by Musoman : Saturday 4th September 2010 at 13:16.
Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 05:28   #7
alphan

The DIY part are one of the most fun part...at least for me. But anyway, the chipped adapter are quite cheap.
Old Thursday 23rd September 2010, 14:37   #8
tbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegea View Post
I'm not musoman :-) but I have bought two orders of Nikon chips from jinfinance on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-chip-...item5192dc0f61

Both orders arrived quickly and were perfectly satisfactory. I've used two of the chips, and still have one waiting for my next manual focus lens.
Hi Aegea,

Just checking how long it took for the postage of your chips after confirmation of order. I ordered mine and still waiting.

tbc
Old Thursday 23rd September 2010, 15:11   #9
thornlv

I ordered some of those (3, with template) and got them in just over a week, glued them on and they work perfectly - wouldnt do without them now.
Old Thursday 23rd September 2010, 22:05   #10
Aegea

tbc - IIRC the chips took about a week, maybe a day or two longer, not long enough for me to start fretting, anyway. I guess that was from China to the US.
Old Friday 24th September 2010, 04:53   #11
alphan

From China to Malaysia normally took a week or two. The longest for me took 6 weeks.
Old Friday 24th September 2010, 14:37   #12
tbc

I received confirmation that the chip was shipped on 06 Sep 2010 but yet to arrive. That's why I am asking. Thanks for the reply.

tbc
Old Friday 24th September 2010, 15:15   #13
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I've waited 4 weeks sometimes for stuff from HK
Old Saturday 13th November 2010, 17:53   #14
Moncho

Hello I am trying my new ed 80. I was doing all in manual. My dandelion chip with the adaptor has arrived. What is usual the programming for this, f7.6 like the scope? Do I need too, to programme the focal distance in 600 (or 1200 with the barlow)? When it is programmed can I use af-s mode?

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th November 2010, 21:42   #15
Aegea

Hi Moncho, and welcome.

To answer your questions in turn:

1. I'm using f/7.6 as the nearest to f/7.5 that dandelion allows.

2. I programmed in 600mm; the chip won't know if you are using a barlow or not, so it will always show 600. If you use a teleconverter with electrical contacts it may or may not show the correct focal length.

3. Not sure what you mean by AF-S mode. AF-S is a function of the lens, so you won't have any AF capability at all. You will be able to all modes - M, A, S, P - as well as matrix metering, center-weighted, and spot - at least, on Nikon you will.
Old Sunday 14th November 2010, 10:45   #16
thornlv

I think I know what he means. To reiterate.

1/ yup, programme to nearest f stop value (7.5)

2/ It is worth programing the focal length as if you use a reporting Teleconverter, the focal length and F stop will be reported in the EXIF of the image. I know this works with my D90/D7000 and Kenko PRO 1.4 TC. this means you could use a filter in Adobe photoshop Bridge to know which shots you took prime and which ones with a TC.

3/ AF-S - I presume means Auto Focus Single shot. By default these chips report as an AF lens so with my D90 and D7000 I can use 'Focus trap' with the camera (works ok with my D90 and sometimes with D90 + TC, however, does not work with the D7000 but does with a TC sometimes !!!)
Old Sunday 14th November 2010, 12:59   #17
thornlv

Figured out why I was not getting 'focus trap' prime with my D7000.

I wondered why I could not set either AF-S (single shot), AF-C (continous shooting) and AF-A (auto), or select focus ponts between single and multi auto with just a AF Chipped bayonet connector but I could with a TC in between. I basically measured all points of my chipped connector and my 1.4 TC and found the locating hole was only 1mm on the chipped connector but 1.6 - 2mm on the TC and other lenses. So I then carefully drilled the notch on the chipped connector to 2mm and that worked, I now have full AF-S focus trap shooting prime. Dont know why it worked anyway on the D90 but it seems that the hole must be about 1.5mm deep for the D7000 to recognise a AF lens (even though emulated)
Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 06:18   #18
Remirath

On my dandelion chip one of the brass pins falls off (i couldnt find it), so now is not working :/ Id contacted jifinance and said that is not possible to repair and offer a disscount on a new one (no warranty and it have less than 2 months)

Any suggestions??
Regards!
Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 08:14   #19
tbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remirath View Post
On my dandelion chip one of the brass pins falls off (i couldnt find it), so now is not working :/ Id contacted jifinance and said that is not possible to repair and offer a disscount on a new one (no warranty and it have less than 2 months)

Any suggestions??
Regards!
I guess you can only take up his offer and order another set to try.
Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 08:22   #20
tbc

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a set of T-adapter and glued a new Dandelion chip on, I found that the pics now are worse than my previous chip.

The subject is much less contrasty, the shutter fires even when they are not in focus unlike previous chipped adapter. There seems to be a problem of front or back focus issue. I am not sure if adjusting back to camera's default settings played a part to this new problem. I have flocked the internal of new adapter too.

Any suggestions welcomed.

tbc
Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 12:11   #21
Aegea

@Remirath - Was this a chip that you installed yourself? The mechanical tolerances are quite close, there may just have been too tight a fit to the camera body? I've had that problem myself.

@tbc - There is a setting on the chip that will only allow it to fire when focus is confirmed, though I can't remember offhand exactly how to toggle it through the chip's archaic programming interface. You can also adjust for front/back focus (in rather coarse increments, though, as far as I can tell). I have no idea why the contrast should be reduced, though, I can't see any way the chip should affect the optical qualities of the lens except through some kind of internal light scattering.
Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 14:31   #22
tbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegea View Post
@Remirath - Was this a chip that you installed yourself? The mechanical tolerances are quite close, there may just have been too tight a fit to the camera body? I've had that problem myself.

@tbc - There is a setting on the chip that will only allow it to fire when focus is confirmed, though I can't remember offhand exactly how to toggle it through the chip's archaic programming interface. You can also adjust for front/back focus (in rather coarse increments, though, as far as I can tell). I have no idea why the contrast should be reduced, though, I can't see any way the chip should affect the optical qualities of the lens except through some kind of internal light scattering.
Aegea,

I tried to enter program mode as instructed but the camera couldn't give me the 5sec shutter speed and the seller suggested to reset the camera to default and the programming went as planned. After that I tried to adjust the settings back to where I started with as best I could remember. When I shoot in the field and view on my computer, that's when I realized the shutter went off without "actual focus". The focus light and beep still came on before the shutter fired during manual adjustment of the focus knob.

Is there any other method to test for front / back focus? I have tried to shoot at a ruler placed 45 deg horizontal as well as vertical but not very conclusive as far as my eyes can tell or maybe I am not doing it correctly.

tbc
Old Wednesday 31st August 2011, 00:44   #23
Aegea

tbc,

Just shooting a ruler at 45 degrees is not very reliable, because you can't be sure exactly where the af sensor locked on. A specific focus test chart is better - here are three references that provide examples, they're all pretty much the same, having a bar to focus on which is separate from the scale:

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart
http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html
http://www.leongoodman.com/d70focusnew.html

Hope this helps.
Old Wednesday 31st August 2011, 11:51   #24
JvdM
JvdM

Hi tbc and Aegea

Are we talking about the proper "Dandelion" (Russian made) or the cheaper China ones?

There appears to be some differences between the programming instructions for the two.

The PELENG site at: [url="http://www.peleng8.com/af-chip-articles/af-chip-dandelion/"] seems to have the "proper" instructions for the Russian version.

I think Big-Is on flebay has the installation/programming instructions on the Chinese version. Please publish your experience/findings as I have just ordered some from Singapore and may need all the help I CAN GET.

Regards

Jaco
Old Wednesday 31st August 2011, 22:13   #25
Aegea

JvdM,

I got my chips from jinfinance on Ebay, and used the instructions from:

http://filmprocess.ru/nikon_prog_en.html

which seem to work fine. This was a year ago, so maybe the China chips have changed since then, but I have found no problems programming the ones I have.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: