• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gander's 2018 Two Hundred Or Bust List (1 Viewer)

14th Nov

By late August, I was thinking that 200 was probably beyond me. By the end of September, I had accepted that I was bust. Sitting offshore, I had watched too many reports as target birds passed through my local area. Birds that I had missed for the same reason in the Spring, now took advantage of my absence in the Autumn. I had calculated at the beginning of the year, that I would need in the region of 30 lifers. I am currently on 21.

This year has by no means been a disaster. In fact it has been a great year. Strangely enough, it has not been the real rarities that have let me down, such as Red-Crested Pochard, Sooty Tern and yesterday's Hoopoe. It is some of the scarce but gettable birds like Bearded Reedling, Yellow Wagtail and Black Tern that have inflicted much pain on me, despite great effort.

I am not sure that 200 in a year will ever be possible on an offshore rota, unless I travel much further afield, but I look forward to trying again next year. As for this year, I'll keep trying, just to see how close I can get.:t:

Montrose Basin

185. Hoopoe

Attachments

• DSCN3945.jpg
    DSCN3945.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
27th Nov

Falkirk

186. Waxwing

Slamannan

187. Bean Goose (Lifer)