Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 17:22   #251
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Things seem to have settled into an adaptive modus operandi where I am - For the first time in nearly 3 weeks I ventured out from my self-imposed exile - apart from a short bike ride yesterday- I haven’t left the house but food was getting low - donned with mask (I don’t think they’re completely useless) and surgical gloves, I walked to town. First a visit to the bank - it was nearly empty and the staff were sitting behind plastic shields. I don’t know whether these would be much use if anyone sneezed virus in the bank as it is quite a small space and mostly open plan.

Next stop, Post Office - I arrived just in front of an elderly lady and there were, duly spaced out (physically!), 3 others waiting- the PO were only letting one customer in at a time - we let the elderly lady with her walker in first as someone came out. All the staff were wearing gloves.

I then walked to Aldi - at the entrance a weird/drunk man starting shouting at me that I was going to die anyway, “if you’re gonna get it you’re gonna get it!” - I did feel a bit daft in the mask and gloves but If I get infected, there’s an almost certain chance I will end up in hospital. Aldi were only letting in 40 people at a time. There was a member of staff on the door by a table with an enormous hand gel pump and leaflets- all very organised. I was glad to see there were no shortages compared to the last shop I did here nearly 3 weeks ago. The only product sold out was Ketchup but that’s typical of where I live! I called my volunteer driver friend who picked me up with my shopping. I sat in the back seat. En route to my house, we stopped to pick up some small pump containers my friend had at home so I could fill them up for him from my 5 (now 3.5) ltr bottle of sanitiser. When we got back my friend unloaded my shopping while I filled up his bottles with hand sanitiser. My friend immediately left to avoid us having prolonged contact.
Sorry Deb, was that you, didn't recognise you in the mask!
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 17:52   #252
andyadcock

Bride expecting honeymoon suite

Gets the custody suite instead.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-52183152
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 20:10   #253
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Sorry Deb, was that you, didn't recognise you in the mask!
I didnít recognise you! Are you off your meds again Andy?
http://www.osme.org
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 20:11   #254
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
I didnít recognise you! Are you off your meds again Andy?
On and off Deb, on and off................
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 22:57   #255
Mysticete

Our stupendous legislature, in there continuing efforts to hold power, have over-ruled the Governor who tried to postpone the election until June. So now I will have to go to a polling station tomorrow to vote. If I can find one that is..., since most of the people manning them won't come in. Milwaukee is down to 5 polling stations. The normal number is 180. This means that those who do vote are going to be standing in long lines potentially.

But hey, those urban voters are not probably voting republican, which in this state means they are not real people. And it's not like the Republicans in power here even frigging understand how viruses work anyway. They are trying to force a religious exemption to allow people to attend easter services. Because a virus gives a #%#% about a holiday.

The only silver lining in this whole thing is that we at least have a democratic governor. If the old one was still in power, we would probably only now be receiving stay at home orders, and our Covid situation would be way worse.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 01:18   #256
rosbifs

That is completely nuts. Having to vote when the country is in lockdown!
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 02:35   #257
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Quote:
It won't be allowed to go on for 18 months, it will put the World economy back to the dark ages.
You say that like you think it's not part of the plan .......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 05:55   #258
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Our stupendous legislature, in there continuing efforts to hold power, have over-ruled the Governor who tried to postpone the election until June. So now I will have to go to a polling station tomorrow to vote. If I can find one that is..., since most of the people manning them won't come in. Milwaukee is down to 5 polling stations. The normal number is 180. This means that those who do vote are going to be standing in long lines potentially.

But hey, those urban voters are not probably voting republican, which in this state means they are not real people. And it's not like the Republicans in power here even frigging understand how viruses work anyway. They are trying to force a religious exemption to allow people to attend easter services. Because a virus gives a #%#% about a holiday.

The only silver lining in this whole thing is that we at least have a democratic governor. If the old one was still in power, we would probably only now be receiving stay at home orders, and our Covid situation would be way worse.
Just a taste of what weíll see in the general election, Iím afraid, when the Republicans will use every trick in the book to restrict the franchise. They have to, itís their only chance of winning many of the key races.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 08:18   #259
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
That is completely nuts. Having to vote when the country is in lockdown!
Tell that to Kaczynski (the informal backdoor dictator of Poland, who does that while somehow still being only an ordinary MP) who furiously pushes against cancellation of presidental elections on May 11. We now have billboards of "elections will kill many people" from the opposition along the streets (well at least one along the street between my house and the supermarket). If someone is off his meds, is definitely Kaczynski ...

----------------------------

Also to the question posed in the name of this thread: the coronavirus is affecting me a lot in terms of relationships with people, because it makes them show for who they really are. Now there is a big discussion on what to actually do next and seeing people with whom I use to be somewhat of friends vigorously argue against contact tracing because of "muh privacy" and declaring that everyone should get it and we will get back to work really makes me question their morality. Do I want to be friends with people who are willing to kill tens of thousands people for their convenience?

It also shows me how little people actually care about me, because basically noone of my "friends" reaches out to me ever during this isolation. Maybe I am just a ***** that nobody wants to talk to, but they could have said so during normal times already... In any case, nothing beats a good little end of the world scenario if you really want to get a perspective on the society and other people.

wow, the BF profanity filter really is strict as ****
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 08:37   #260
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Tell that to Kaczynski (the informal backdoor dictator of Poland, who does that while somehow still being only an ordinary MP) who furiously pushes against cancellation of presidental elections on May 11. We now have billboards of "elections will kill many people" from the opposition along the streets (well at least one along the street between my house and the supermarket). If someone is off his meds, is definitely Kaczynski ...

Also to the question posed in the name of this thread: the coronavirus is affecting me a lot in terms of relationships with people, because it makes them show for who they really are. Now there is a big discussion on what to actually do next and seeing people with whom I use to be somewhat of friends vigorously argue against contact tracing because of "muh privacy" and declaring that everyone should get it and we will get back to work really makes me question their morality. Do I want to be friends with people who are willing to kill tens of thousands people for their convenience?

It also shows me how little people actually care about me, because basically noone of my "friends" reaches out to me ever during this isolation. Maybe I am just a ***** that nobody wants to talk to, but they could have said so during normal times already... In any case, nothing beats a good little end of the world scenario if you really want to get a perspective on the society and other people.

You've still got us!

John
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 08:41   #261
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
You've still got us!

John
Good grief, don't depress the poor man anymore John......................
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 09:01   #262
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Good grief, don't depress the poor man anymore John......................

Well the difference is that my main reason to expose myself to a forum like this is to get in contact with different views. Yes, I do get agitated and argumentative and end up pushing my own views literally every single time, but I do not hold you people (with some obvious exceptions when a line of morality has been crossed for me) in bad regard just because of your different views. This is different when it occurs in people who I previously thought I knew and somewhat picked them based on their perceived qualities.
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 10:41   #263
andyadcock

Just heard a interesting snippet of info that might come up in a pub quiz. What's the only virus that mankind has successfully eliminated and doesn't persist anywhere?

Scroll to the very bottom of this post for the answer if you want to have a guess first, plenty will probably get it.

Smallpox.
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:01   #264
Mysticete

Quote:

This. If social isolation shows anything, its just HOW isolated some of us are compared to others.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:08   #265
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question How is the COVID virus affecting you ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Which Quarantine Bird Are You.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	723331

Chosun

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:13   #266
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post

Chosun
Like it I know which one I think I am ...
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:20   #267
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

Owl!

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:23   #268
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Just heard a interesting snippet of info that might come up in a pub quiz. What's the only virus that mankind has successfully eliminated and doesn't persist anywhere?

Scroll to the very bottom of this post for the answer if you want to have a guess first, plenty will probably get it.

Smallpox.
And Rinderpest:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderpest

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:23   #269
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
... It also shows me how little people actually care about me, because basically noone of my "friends" reaches out to me ever during this isolation. Maybe I am just a ***** that nobody wants to talk to, but they could have said so during normal times already...
That is sad.

My friends and I are sending jokes, memes, quizzes and chat to each other every day, several times a day, via email and WhatsApp.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 12:36   #270
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Owl!
Me too ! - haha - though with elements of Seagull, Magpie, and Kookaburra too !

Chosun

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 13:20   #271
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:

It is not unreasonable to be cautious about 'contact tracing', given the really egregious misuse potential.
Sadly the record of governments using emergencies to arrogate powers that then become permanent is totally consistent, they all do it. Even serfdom was imposed in Russia as a temporary measure, that then became permanent.
Just reach out to your friends, don't wait for them to start the process, they are probably in the same boat as you, just hoping to hear from you..

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 13:25   #272
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Emergencies/illness etc. are always a big test for friendships. Also for example moving abroad or far away. With today's means of staying in touch there is no excuse for people to disappear into the blue.

Having moved around a lot before settling down nearly 20 years ago, I have been able to single out the real friends from the hanger-ons, which in the end is not a bad thing in itself.

The process of course is still painful, as you feel let down and angry and often lonely, especially when it happens with people that you have known for a long time. Sorry about that.

On another note we have been shocked to see that some close friends of ours are taking lightly the social distancing rules, going for a drink at a mate's house etc. you never stop learning.

As John says, you'll have to make do with us Jan, although not sure this provides any relief!

🌈

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 18:32   #273
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Owl!
Think that is pretty spot on for birders, most are quite possessive of their personal space.

Old Wednesday 8th April 2020, 08:39   #274
dantheman
Bah humbug

Opisska, Chosun Juan, Deb ... and whomsoever else - I really can't keep up with all these coronavirus threads

This from the BBC (reputable news agency) on Tesco (major retailer esp food)

The supermarket has also agreed to pay a dividend of 6.5p to shareholders, based on its last financial year.

This has attracted some criticism as the grocer has benefitted from a business rates holiday to the tune of £585m while seeing record sales during the coronavirus crisis.

I was going to post a few weeks back - basically the UK made a c1/3 billion pound bailout to people and business to minimise the effect of coronavirus restrictions.

That is c£500 per head; man, woman and child. Presumably much more will have to come as the economy slumps (and bailing out airlines etc etc).

The question of shielding the elderly in place (the US concept sounds nicer) isn't about abandoning - there is a huge amount that could be spent on them.

There have also been 400,000 people signing up to volunteer to help the elderly/vulnerable (shopping, make phone calls etc) in the UK. If that 1/3 £billion didn't go on shoring up big business and those that already have lots of money it could also buy an awful lot of ipads etc - one free to every pensioner for skyping family etc etc and be used more productively to help people in real need etc

A sensible program of reduced contact between people in the general population etc (details ... ) but alongside a highly organized shielding of the old and vulnerable and hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed with lots of elderly (and younger) needing ventilators. Meaning higher survivability for everyone, and much less economic crisis and thus other hardships.

As we are c12 months away from a vaccine (or so?) this is going to go on for a long, long time ..

Last edited by dantheman : Wednesday 8th April 2020 at 08:42.
Old Wednesday 8th April 2020, 09:02   #275
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Opisska, Chosun Juan, Deb ... and whomsoever else - I really can't keep up with all these coronavirus threads

This from the BBC (reputable news agency) on Tesco (major retailer esp food)

The supermarket has also agreed to pay a dividend of 6.5p to shareholders, based on its last financial year.

This has attracted some criticism as the grocer has benefitted from a business rates holiday to the tune of £585m while seeing record sales during the coronavirus crisis.

I was going to post a few weeks back - basically the UK made a c1/3 billion pound bailout to people and business to minimise the effect of coronavirus restrictions.

That is c£500 per head; man, woman and child. Presumably much more will have to come as the economy slumps (and bailing out airlines etc etc).

The question of shielding the elderly in place (the US concept sounds nicer) isn't about abandoning - there is a huge amount that could be spent on them.

There have also been 400,000 people signing up to volunteer to help the elderly/vulnerable (shopping, make phone calls etc) in the UK. If that 1/3 £billion didn't go on shoring up big business and those that already have lots of money it could also buy an awful lot of ipads etc - one free to every pensioner for skyping family etc etc and be used more productively to help people in real need etc

A sensible program of reduced contact between people in the general population etc (details ... ) but alongside a highly organized shielding of the old and vulnerable and hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed with lots of elderly (and younger) needing ventilators. Meaning higher survivability for everyone, and much less economic crisis and thus other hardships.

As we are c12 months away from a vaccine (or so?) this is going to go on for a long, long time ..
Top man!

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: