Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Neotropical

Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 02:04   #1
iraqbabbler

Neotropical

Just finished making the report for my trip to Panama and Peru

Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/pnptrip

My sincere thanks to Steve (Illapa), Guido (Capito) and Gonzalo (panabird) for making my trip successful and very enjoyable
Old Thursday 8th May 2008, 18:26   #2
panabird

Saludos Mohamad:
Thanks for your kind words!
Hope to see you back very soon in Panama and bird the areas we missed on this tour: the foothills and highland of west Panama. And off course, do the new Birding by Boat Tour (121 species and counting), inplemented the day after you departed to Peru.
Regards,

Gonzalo Horna
Phone (507)6728-3501
[email protected]
http://www.panamabirdguide.com/
http://www.birdingbyboattour.com/
Old Saturday 17th May 2008, 23:29   #3
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Very nice reports. I had a fast look at the Peru species list and do have a few comments:

* Blue-winged Parrotlet (Forpus xanthopterygius): Not in Tambopata. The parrotlet from this genus in Tambopata is the Dusky-billed (F. modestus or, incorrectly, F. sclateri).
* Scaly-naped Parrot (Amazona mercenaria): A highland species not found in Tambopata. If it resembled a Scaly-naped, it was likely a Mealy (A. farinosa), where the nape can appear somewhat scaly. Without a precise description, it would, however, be difficult to exclude Yellow-crowned (A. ochrocephala).
* Western Long-tailed Hermit (Phaethornis longirostris): Doesn't occur east of the Andes. The large hermit from this complex in Tambopata is the Great-billed Hermit (Phaethornis malaris), although the taxonomy of large hermits is a mess, and some, e.g. the new Peru field guide, continue to include these in the (Eastern) Long-tailed Hermit (P. superciliosus).
* Great-billed Hermit (P. malaris): Disregarding the problematic taxonomy mentioned above, Cock of The Rock Lodge is a bit high, though perhaps you include areas well below the lodge in "Cock of The Rock Lodge Area". If at or near Cock of The Rock Lodge, more likely to be Green (P. guy).
* Gray-breasted Sabrewing (Campylopterus largipennis): A lowland species, which is rather unlikely at Machu Picchu.
* Green-and-white Hummingbird (Leucippus viridicauda): Abra Malaga is a bit high. However, the chance is that you saw the Green-and-white Hummingbird at Machu Picchu, where it is common, and regularly seen at feeders.
* Bronze-tailed Comet (Polyonymus caroli): No records from the Cusco prov. and rather unlikely to occur.
* Powerful Woodpecker (Campephilus pollens): Not in Tambopata. If it resembled the Powerful and was seen in Tambopata, it was a Crimson-crested (C. melanoleucos) - just as large and impressive as the Powerful.
* Mountain Cacique (Cacicus chrysonotus): A highland species not found in Tambopata. The similar species in Tambopata is the Yellow-rumped Cacique (C. cela).

Regardless, great report. Nice with both Black-and-chestnut and Solitary Eagle. Even better, IMO, is Greater Scythebill. A very (VERY!) rare species. There's probably only a few handfuls of birders that have seen it (~ hundreds of birders have seen a Harpy Eagle for every single birder that has seen a Greater Scythebill).

Last edited by Rasmus Boegh : Saturday 17th May 2008 at 23:58.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th May 2008, 02:39   #4
iraqbabbler

Thank you Rasmus for the meticulous and informative comments :

Blue-winged Parrotlet: You're correct, it's not well-known in Tambopata, but there are some records from that area. Moreover, my guide Steve Sanchez (Illapa on Birdforum) has seen it there a couple of times since !

Scaly-naped Parrot: Thanks for pointing this error out to me. It should have been listed on the Cock of the Rock site.

Western Long-tailed Hermit: Should be Great-billed Hermit (Phaethornis malaris), thanks for the correction.

Great-billed Hermit & Green and White Hermit: I do include areas surrounding (or on the way to) these sites so I'll stick with these.

Mountain Cacique: Thanks for pointing out this typo - Should have been on the Cock of The Rock list.

Bronze-tailed Comet: Should have been Tyrian Metaltail, thanks for that.

Gray-breasted Sabrewing & Powerful Woodpecker: I'm 100% certain of these, as I got really close, long and very clear views. With the woodpecker, there were two of them and they were in the same tree as another couple of Crimson-cresteds !.

Anyway, thanks Rasmus once more for all your valuable contributions, and I also really appreciate your advice and guidance for birding in Peru

Happy birding
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: