• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neotropical (1 Viewer)

Very nice reports. I had a fast look at the Peru species list and do have a few comments:

* Blue-winged Parrotlet (Forpus xanthopterygius): Not in Tambopata. The parrotlet from this genus in Tambopata is the Dusky-billed (F. modestus or, incorrectly, F. sclateri).
* Scaly-naped Parrot (Amazona mercenaria): A highland species not found in Tambopata. If it resembled a Scaly-naped, it was likely a Mealy (A. farinosa), where the nape can appear somewhat scaly. Without a precise description, it would, however, be difficult to exclude Yellow-crowned (A. ochrocephala).
* Western Long-tailed Hermit (Phaethornis longirostris): Doesn't occur east of the Andes. The large hermit from this complex in Tambopata is the Great-billed Hermit (Phaethornis malaris), although the taxonomy of large hermits is a mess, and some, e.g. the new Peru field guide, continue to include these in the (Eastern) Long-tailed Hermit (P. superciliosus).
* Great-billed Hermit (P. malaris): Disregarding the problematic taxonomy mentioned above, Cock of The Rock Lodge is a bit high, though perhaps you include areas well below the lodge in "Cock of The Rock Lodge Area". If at or near Cock of The Rock Lodge, more likely to be Green (P. guy).
* Gray-breasted Sabrewing (Campylopterus largipennis): A lowland species, which is rather unlikely at Machu Picchu.
* Green-and-white Hummingbird (Leucippus viridicauda): Abra Malaga is a bit high. However, the chance is that you saw the Green-and-white Hummingbird at Machu Picchu, where it is common, and regularly seen at feeders.
* Bronze-tailed Comet (Polyonymus caroli): No records from the Cusco prov. and rather unlikely to occur.
* Powerful Woodpecker (Campephilus pollens): Not in Tambopata. If it resembled the Powerful and was seen in Tambopata, it was a Crimson-crested (C. melanoleucos) - just as large and impressive as the Powerful.
* Mountain Cacique (Cacicus chrysonotus): A highland species not found in Tambopata. The similar species in Tambopata is the Yellow-rumped Cacique (C. cela).

Regardless, great report. Nice with both Black-and-chestnut and Solitary Eagle. Even better, IMO, is Greater Scythebill. A very (VERY!) rare species. There's probably only a few handfuls of birders that have seen it (~ hundreds of birders have seen a Harpy Eagle for every single birder that has seen a Greater Scythebill).

Last edited:
Thank you Rasmus for the meticulous and informative comments o:D :

Blue-winged Parrotlet: You're correct, it's not well-known in Tambopata, but there are some records from that area. Moreover, my guide Steve Sanchez (Illapa on Birdforum) has seen it there a couple of times since !

Scaly-naped Parrot: Thanks for pointing this error out to me. It should have been listed on the Cock of the Rock site.

Western Long-tailed Hermit: Should be Great-billed Hermit (Phaethornis malaris), thanks for the correction.

Great-billed Hermit & Green and White Hermit: I do include areas surrounding (or on the way to) these sites so I'll stick with these.

Mountain Cacique: Thanks for pointing out this typo - Should have been on the Cock of The Rock list.

Bronze-tailed Comet: Should have been Tyrian Metaltail, thanks for that.

Gray-breasted Sabrewing & Powerful Woodpecker: I'm 100% certain of these, as I got really close, long and very clear views. With the woodpecker, there were two of them and they were in the same tree as another couple of Crimson-cresteds !.

Anyway, thanks Rasmus once more for all your valuable contributions, and I also really appreciate your advice and guidance for birding in Peru ;)

Happy birding B :) :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back