• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Save The Scarlet Macaw And Other Fauna In Belize (1 Viewer)

David

The future of one of Central America's most important wildlife sites, Chalillo, in Belize, remains uncertain after the Privy Council, the final court of appeal for Commonwealth countries, failed to rule on plans by a Canada-based multinational energy company to construct a controversial dam in the area.

In December, five appeal judges of the privy Council Court in London, the British Commonwealth's last appeal instance, deferred a judgement sought by environmental campaigners from Belize. The judges' decision is unlikely until some time this year.

Chalillo is fast becoming the Three Gorges of Latin America. Conservationists argue that the building of the 160ft-high hydroelectric dam could wipe out much of the wildlife around the upper Macal River Valley, which would be flooded. This includes 20% of the world's remaining scarlet macaws, as well as rare jaguars, tapirs and crocodiles.

Sharon Matola a member of the Belize conservation alliance Bacongo, states: "If the dam is built it will flood the macaws' nesting area.
"That will eventually mean their extinction in Belize, where there are only 200 left, because they don't build nests but live in holes in trees - and the trees they choose occur nowhere else in the country. Expecting the macaws to move elsewhere is like telling penguins to get used to warmer weather. The tapirs (the Belize national animal) need the special vegetation that is found in the area, plants which grow in full sun and so have few toxins but plenty of nutrition. And if the tapirs go, there'll be nothing to attract predators like the jaguars to the area.

She went on to criticize the vast amount of capital being invested in a doubtful value to the people of Belize. "The dam won't give Belize energy security - it'll produce enough power to run three large hotels. (And it will cost three times as much as it does for Fortis' customers at home in Canada.) We could burn sugar cane waste, which is abundant, or we could go on using the transmission line to Mexico, or join the new Central American grid that's being planned."

Belize conservationists have support from Friends of the Earth in the United Kingdom, the WWF-UK, Canadian and American environmental organizations, leading scientists, and prominent people, including Cameron Diaz, Harrison Ford, and Bobby Kennedy, Jr. Its about time YOU joined them!

Please go to the Proact Belize site where you will find links to petitions prepared by Belizian and Canadian conservation organisations.

Last edited:
Hi David

thanks for this....was lucky enough to be there this summer and see the delights of the country and its avifauna...a fantastic place.

will be there rightaway

it's done, the stop fortis link was easy to follow. Good luck to all concerned

Last edited:
I just signed. It was easy and hopefully will help the conservation in Belize. I've been on the Belize border but still haven't made it to the interior. Hopefully this year!

Done! I too had a fantastic birding trip down there in 1979, my most memorable bird a Sungrebe cruising alone and soundlessly on a large jungle pond somewhere between Belize City and Belmopan.

Charles Harper said:
Done! I too had a fantastic birding trip down there in 1979, my most memorable bird a Sungrebe cruising alone and soundlessly on a large jungle pond somewhere between Belize City and Belmopan.

I will get round to thanking all of those who have (and undoubtedy still will) lend their support to this cause.

I will also post updates - hopefully good news - in this forum.

Hi David,
I have never been to Belize and probably never will, but it all sounds highly disgusting and I have sent the Proact mail.
I have just become a member of Birdforum and this alone makes my membership worthwile.

jayhunter said:
Thanks David,
I have signed I was lucky enough to have been based out there with the RAF in the '70s.

Now I knew a Bob who worked at APC on 230 Sqd in the 70’s and he was a bad boy
Glyn

Keep it up!

Email from the International Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley

<...>
Hi David,

The Proact campaign has already had a great impact--Fortis directors have now gotten a wave of new emails, each with a different subject heading. The timing for this, right before the court decision, and as Fortis is having trouble with construction at its site, increases the pressure and chances that Fortis will pull out permanently.

Thanks for your help with this!
<...>

Your support DOES matter - and count!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back