Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New series..Yellowstone on BBC2 tonight(Sun) 8-9pm

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 15th March 2009, 11:43   #1
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Smile New series..Yellowstone on BBC2 tonight(Sun) 8-9pm

Had a look at the Radio Times today and Yellowstone is marked as on tonight at

Sunday 15th March 8-9pm BBC2 Part 1 of 3

Looking good. Great write up to, and narrated by Peter Firth

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th March 2009, 11:49   #2
Gill Osborne

I've been looking forward to this since I saw the trailers a week or two ago I'd LOVE to visit the place one day, bears or no bears

*have I ever told anyone that bears scare me?*

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th March 2009, 12:15   #3
BazR
bazr

I've already got it set to be recorded Kathy. It looks like being a belter. I've recently invested in HD, so that should be excellent. Thanks for thinking about us.

Baz.

Spike Milligan

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th March 2009, 13:43   #4
Peewit

Smile

Glad to be of help Baz, and Gill. Yes, i think it is going to be good too.

Baz, that is what friends are for supporting each other with what we like.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th March 2009, 22:12   #5
Wendy Morris

Missed it last night, silly me thought that it was on at 9pm.........so, recorded the repeat this evening and have just finished watching it. Excellent programme. Absolutley loved the otters, they looked as though they were swimming in all that snow!

If anyone wants to follow the seasons at Yellowstone around Old Faithful geyser, then go to http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm. The picture updates every 30 seconds and soon they will be giving prediction times for the next eruption. Also, there will be stats about the temperature when the predictions resume. Sometimes you can get lucky and see the bison wandering around in shot.

Bring on the next programme!

Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th March 2009, 23:10   #6
oncebittern
Steve Sheehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Morris View Post
Absolutley loved the otters, they looked as though they were swimming in all that snow!
Me too!

I was trying to work out how the cameraman (men?) managed to be in the right places to apparently get that action from so many viewpoints.

Was it just pure luck that they 'chanced' upon this event, or was there some fantastic planning behind it?

Whatever it was, they made a superb job of it, and I can't wait for the next episode.

(BTW, I managed to get my own first video footage of wild Otters just 2 weeks back, on Bassenthwaite Lake. I was so chuffed, I didn't stop grinning for days )

Last edited by oncebittern : Monday 16th March 2009 at 23:13.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th March 2009, 00:18   #7
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
Missed it last night, silly me thought that it was on at 9pm.........so, recorded the repeat this evening and have just finished watching it. Excellent programme. Absolutley loved the otters, they looked as though they were swimming in all that snow!

If anyone wants to follow the seasons at Yellowstone around Old Faithful geyser, then go to http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm. The picture updates every 30 seconds and soon they will be giving prediction times for the next eruption. Also, there will be stats about the temperature when the predictions resume. Sometimes you can get lucky and see the bison wandering around in shot.

Bring on the next programme!
hi Wendy

Glad that you enjoyed the programme a lot. Super coverage was it not. The Otters looked strange moving through the snow, as we always used to seeing them in water or around water all of the time.

Looked at your additional link, Wendy, and it is very interesting indeed. Will have another look or two yet no doubt (I will add to favs). Love to see what is going on there!

My Godmother visited there years ago and I have a track top with Yellowstone written on it. Great memories and my godmother enjoyed herself a lot too.

Old Tuesday 17th March 2009, 16:05   #8
palval147

Super link, Wendy, I have added it to my favourites too.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd March 2009, 20:30   #9
Wendy Morris

Got the right time this week!!!

Another excellent programme. The colours of summer are amazing, but so short lived. Loved the Hummers and Bluebirds and fascinated by the bears going up on to the scree slopes to get the moths....pretty incredible really.

Do you think that I've left it too late to become a Geyser Gazer?!!!! I could happily spend hours watching them.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd March 2009, 20:34   #10
Peewit

Smile

Quote:
Got the right time this week!!!

Another excellent programme. The colours of summer are amazing, but so short lived. Loved the Hummers and Bluebirds and fascinated by the bears going up on to the scree slopes to get the moths....pretty incredible really.

Do you think that I've left it too late to become a Geyser Gazer?!!!! I could happily spend hours watching them.
Hi Wendy

Geyser Gazers, well you never know Wendy. Could be new thing we could all do. They are very thereputic on the mind. They keep us on our toes too.

Old Sunday 22nd March 2009, 20:36   #11
Peewit

Smile

Watched the second part of Yellowstone tonight, and really enjoyed it a lot.

There where some interesting parts of the program about Hummingbirds how they cope with living at Yellowstone in the cold months. Some shots of a Blue Bird feeding its young and a Woodpecker of some type.

Some superb shots of an Osprey, and again some shots of birds which remained nameless. Oh I wish they said what they where.
I am sure i could hear a Ravens calls through a good bit of thr program. There where other twitterings of birds which we could hear but not see. No doubt someone will know what they are.

The Otters and the Bears where well portrayed with their babies. Even in the so called warmer months life is never that easy for any of the wildlife that exists in the park itself. Tough and robust comes to mind.
The Rodents, Elks, Pronghorn, Bison and the Wolfs super viewing once more

The last 10 mins was given The Geyser Gazers well that is a different hobby to have! Mmm not sure what that was about at all.

Anyway, here is the link to BBC I-player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...wstone_Summer/

Old Monday 30th March 2009, 12:18   #12
Wendy Morris

Found last night's episode a bit disappointing, possibly because there was not much about the physical state of the park and a lot about elk, bison and pronghorns....none of which do a great deal for me! We didn't even get to see the bears heading for hibernation or where the lovely otters went.

Probably just me, I like wild places better than I like wildlife (birds excepted!).

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: