• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

horned larks (1 Viewer)

David Callahan

Hi all

I wonder if anyone knows of any recent (or even not-so-recent) phylogenetic work on Eremophila, whether on the genus as a whole or on some of the subspecies? Is there even any contemporary work on the Alaudidae in general? If anyone's got any comments, links or pdfs, that would be outstanding ...

cheers
David

I would have thought that a radiation like the larks was crying out for a thorough and rigorous analysis... One day, maybe!
Still looking forward to Larks of Europe, Asia & North America: identification and systematics (Per Alström, Krister Mild & Bill Zetterström) - supposedly forthcoming from Helm.

They did a great job for pipits & wagtails.

Anyone know when publication is expected?

Richard

Last edited:
It may seem surprising, but there is indeed very little published about larks in general.
Some time ago, Larks, pipits and wagtails (Roy Hargreaves, plates by Dave Nurney) was reportedly also in the pipeline from Pica. But it's hard to imagine that A&C Black would commission overlapping titles on larks/pipits...?

Richard

It may seem surprising, but there is indeed very little published about larks in general.
You can also try reading the 'Systematics' discussion in HBW9, which is partly based on unpublished results.

One paper about shore larks (i.e., American birds):
http://southsoundprairies.org/documents/STHLConservatinGenetics_2005_6_875_883.pdf

A bit more data in GenBank & BOLD - can try to check what these seem to say, but it's gonna take a short while...

Thanks for this, too. I had already tracked down these two references, but was hoping that more might have been published a bit more obscurely somewhere. I would certainly be interested in what GenBank and BOLD throw up, though ...

Looks like there's a good PhD opportunty or two with larks! Assuming a funding source, of course ...

D

Some time ago, Larks, pipits and wagtails (Roy Hargreaves, plates by Dave Nurney) was reportedly also in the pipeline from Pica. But it's hard to imagine that A&C Black would commission overlapping titles on larks/pipits...?

Richard

Wouldn't be too sure on that - when I was commissioned to paint the Stonechat book I was chatting with Chris Rose who was quite taken aback as he'd already painted chats, wheatears and redstarts for a supposedly forthcoming book from (then) Pica Press that never saw the light of day either. Ah, publishers, a law unto themselves!

Ads

(Analyses are ML. Supports are LR-ELW, not real bootstrapping - faster, but sometimes more 'optimistic' than real BS, particularly with short sequences. All the genes that have a fairly good sampling are mitochondrial. I have noted the origin of the Eremophila samples on the trees, not those of other spp, but will try to make it clear.)

This is ND2 (NADH dehydrogenase subunit 2). Data mainly from the Eremophila paper cited above, plus Zink et al. 2008. The tree is rooted on Chersophilus (not enough spp to assess general relationships among larks anyway).

In Eremophila, American samples are recovered as a clade, with some internal structure, but distances small. Their sister group is made of two samples from Asia. Then basal to them , you get two rather divergent samples, one E. bilopha, and one E. alpestris for which I could not trace the origin (sequence used as outgroup by Zink et al. 2008 to analyse the phylogeography of Alauda arvensis)

In Alauda arvensis, two clear clusters. The upper cluster is western - 1 bird from France, 1 from Greece, the others from W & C Russia (E to Tuva). The lower cluster is eastern - Irkutsk to Kamchatka, including 4 birds from N Sakhalin (none from S Sakhalin).

Attachments

• nd2.fas.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 227
Wouldn't be too sure on that - when I was commissioned to paint the Stonechat book I was chatting with Chris Rose who was quite taken aback as he'd already painted chats, wheatears and redstarts for a supposedly forthcoming book from (then) Pica Press that never saw the light of day either.
That must have been really gutting for Chris Rose. So the putative Robins & Chats by Nigel Redman & Simon Harrap is no more.

But congrats on the great stonechat plates. [Although, despite having the book, I'm still rubbish at sorting out the eastern forms!]

Ah, publishers, a law unto themselves!
They sure are. Witness the ficticious imminent publication dates regularly being touted...

Richard

cyt-b (Cytochrome b) and 16s (16s-rRNA).

These are the two genes used in Tieleman et al. 2002.

The cyt-b tree includes data from a rather wide range of studies. It's (admittedly) a rather 'brute force' analysis, mixing shorter and longer sequences - I don't like this too much, but it gives an idea. (I also tried only with long sequences [thus less samples/taxa], as well as with all the sequences, but using only the part of the gene that is common to most of them--this resulted in comparable topologies, thus I'm reasonably confident that the tree is not affected by a huge artifact.)

The 16s data are from Tieleman et al. 2002 and Aliabadian et al. 2008.

The combined tree includes only long seqs of cyt-b, and is rather comparable to that in Tieleman et al. 2002, except that the latter is rooted (arbitrarily) on the Hoopoe Lark. I have added outgroups.

Attachments

• Alaudidae.cytb-all.fas.pdf
    8.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Alaudidae.16s.fas.pdf
    4.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Alaudidae.cytb+16s.fas.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
cox1 = COI (Cytochrome c Oxidase subunit 1) = "DNA barcodes".

Data from BOLD.

In Eremophila, you get a situation comparable to what ND2 data show - 3 nearctic samples are sister, and pretty closely related to three palearctic sample, then you get two basal divergent sequences, one E. bilopha, one E. alpestris albigula from Iran. This is the only definite bird of the penicillata group...

In Skylarks, we now have three clusters - the upper cluster is equivalent to the western ND2 cluster (UK, Iran, and Tuva in C Russia), the median cluster is equivalent to the eastern ND2 cluster (Mongolia, Korea, and one bird from S Sakhalin), the lower cluster is made of 5 birds from S Sakhalin. S Sakhalin is where japonica is said to be sympatric with another race.

These data also suggest that we may well have a problem with Calandrella...
With the Calandrella's, however, there are also problems, I believe. (The groupings of rufescens with acutirostris, and cheleensis with brachydactyla, make very little sense from the beginning.) I have left the sequences labeled as they currently appear in the BOLD database, but I would be interested in any opinion about the ID of the birds (most of which are illustrated with pictures).
They can be accessed through http://www.boldsystems.org - Click on the 'login' button under 'Management & Analysis', then above left on 'Search All Records', enter 'Calandrella' in the 'Taxonomy - Include:' box, and click 'Advanced Search'. From there, you can access a 'Specimen Page' for each sequence.
All of the sequences labeled 'rufescens' actually come from rather far east (Tuva, Mongolia), and most indeed have a note suggesting 'Calandrella cheleensis', which is probably what they all are (if you recognize this as a distinct species).
The sequence labeled 'acutirostris' is of a juvenile bird from Akkol in Kazakhstan, that has a very long primary projection (heinei?).
The sequence labeled 'cheleensis' is from Dornod in Mongolia, and shows a bird with a rather plain breast and side patches; the wings are too damaged to assess structure, but to me this looks like a Greater ST Lark of some type, rather than a Lesser.

Oh, and if anybody wants to try the S Sakhalin Skylarks, they can be seen there as well... ;)

Attachments

• Alaudidae.cox1.fas.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Percy FitzPatrick Institute of African Ornithology has current projects on African larks.

The following is from http://www.fitzpatrick.uct.ac.za/docs/systemat.html :

The comparative radiation of larks in northeast and southwest Africa

Research Team: Keith Barnes, Peter Ryan & Paulette Bloomer

Larks are an ancient and highly distinct bird family, occurring predominantly in Africa. They are characterised by high levels of endemism, often at very local scales, and major radiations have taken place in the northeast and southwest arid zones of Africa. The relationships among southern African larks have been reasonably well established (Bloomer et al. in prep.), but comparative data for northeastern Africa are not available. This project will fill this gap, using a variety of criteria to assess the status of lark taxa. It will interpret the evolution of larks in relation to the historical presence of an arid corridor linking NE and SW Africa. It will also have significant conservation and avitourism implications by identifying overlooked species.

Individual-level dynamics at the secondary contact zone between Barlow’s and Karoo Larks

Research Team: Callan Cohen & Peter Ryan

Barlow’s Lark, a recently-described species (Ryan et al. in press), is a sister species to the Dune Lark. Although closely resembling the Karoo Lark, Barlow’s Lark is more distantly related to it, at least in terms of mitochondrial DNA haplotypes. Barlow’s and Karoo Larks either occur adjacent to each other (parapatric) or actually overlap in a narrow region of sympatry in the area between Port Nolloth and the Richtersveld. Although there is no evidence of mitochondrial introgression, Haldane’s rule suggests that hybridisation could occur. This project assesses the individual-level interaction of Barlow’s and Karoo Larks in the contact zone to explore patterns of mate-selection and to test whether there is reinforcement of mate recognition systems.

Wouldn't be too sure on that - when I was commissioned to paint the Stonechat book I was chatting with Chris Rose who was quite taken aback as he'd already painted chats, wheatears and redstarts for a supposedly forthcoming book from (then) Pica Press that never saw the light of day either. Ah, publishers, a law unto themselves!

Ads

You might find this book is still on. I saw Chris and Peter Clements (new author) working on at Tring not too long ago...

Brian S

Wouldn't surprise me...bit pointless re-doing chats now though, but what do we know eh? We're just paid a pittance to paint the bloody things....!

Callahan 2010. Species spotlight: Lark of all trades. Birdwatch 212 (Feb 2010): 36-39.

David's arcticle now posted on the Birdwatch website:
www.birdwatch.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?cate=26&topic=134&item=743
Most of the things are correct in article, anyways it is at least three species, north, south, and Hymalayan. E. teminckii is more related to south birds than south birds are related to nothern birds. Group of authors are waiting just one nuclear sequences of 20 birds, and results are done, so expect paper published maybe this year in winter

Drovetski et al 2014

Drovetski, Raković, Semenov, Fadeev & Red'kin 2014. Limited phylogeographic signal in sex-linked and autosomal loci despite geographically, ecologically, and phenotypically concordant structure of mtDNA variation in the Holarctic avian genus Eremophila. PLoS ONE 9(1): e87570. [article] [pdf]
... our data suggest that all Palearctic clades represent independent evolutionary units and should be treated as distinct species: elwesi (although longirostris should have priority if it belongs to this clade), bilopha, atlas, penicillata, brandti, and flava. Nearctic populations should be treated as a single species - alpestris pending further investigation.
[Related: Horned Lark.]​

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back