• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

JCBird

Hello everyone

I live in the UK. Across the road from my house there is a woodland made up of conifers and every year what I can only assume is a Great Spotted Woodpecker
can be heard. However, upon closer inspection, I can observe the woodpecker at distance only briefly before he disappears. He then won't make any sound for at least the rest of the day. What tips can you give me in terms of getting a closer look?

many thanks

Best option (particularly with current movement restrictions) is to get better optics - binoculars, or even a telescope - if you don't already have them.

The only realistic options though are Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers - if it is black & white (with odd bits of red from some angles) then the former, if yellow-green (also with odd bits of red from some angles), then the latter.

My local Great Spotted Woodpeckers don't seem to like drumming when I am in sight. They usually stop for a while once they've spotted me although they may remain in the same area rather than flying off.

I usually walk through the woods openly but go very slowly and as quietly as possible but they still usually see me before I see them. A couple of days ago I tried hiding behind a tree for a while and they started drumming again after about ten minutes. This was in deciduous woodland where the trees are still bare.

Both male and female Great Spotted Woodies drum although the males do so more often.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back