Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

National News

Old Friday 4th August 2006, 12:11   #1
screaming piha

National News

You go out birding in southern England in August and see, say, a Greenshank or a Wheatear or two. Do you think this is such a remarkable sighting that everyone will be interested so you must put the birds out as national news on a bird information service? If so, why?
Old Friday 4th August 2006, 12:15   #2
Stephen Dunstan

Whether you use pagers or Birdguides you can filter the information to get what you want and not what you don't.

As previously mentioned on here though it amuses me when a mega disappears but the message make say a Greenshank or Wheatear in the same place sound like a consolation.

Stephen.
Old Friday 4th August 2006, 12:16   #3
breggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdj
You go out birding in southern England in August and see, say, a Greenshank or a Wheatear or two. Do you think this is such a remarkable sighting that everyone will be interested so you must put the birds out as national news on a bird information service? If so, why?
NO certainly not for National consumption
I have 3 local areas on my pager which is suitable for such news and means I can call in my sightings like the example above and they can go on the pagers and not bother everyone who is reading their National news.
So when I am out and about locally I can just read my local news and it might be of interest to me.

But certainly the example you gave above would not be of National interest

Breggie
Old Friday 4th August 2006, 13:04   #4
Richard D
what was that...

I don't subscribe to a bird service but if I'm lucky eough to get a day off I used to occasionally check Birdguides mobile phone service to see if there's anything local, but when I paid 1 to find that there was a Little Egret at Oare Marshes I questioned whether whoever puts birds on the service has much grasp of local birds.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: