Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Beachy Head and Cuckmere Valley

Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 09:46   #1
pstraughan

Beachy Head and Cuckmere Valley

A brilliant day with my birdwatching group yesterday at these two locations, with nearly 40 species recorded.

Stars of the day were 3 Peregrine Falcon, a flock of 42 Curlew, 3 Rock Pipit, 3 Oystercatcher, a Wheatear and for me a new tick - Stonechat. So many Stonechats in fact that I cannot believe that I haven't seen one before! As this was high on my wish list, I was very happy.

Still plenty of Swallows and Martins about and Meadowpipits in abundance.

An exceptionally high tide, which had just started to race out, meant that the mudbanks were covered and so we were a bit disappointed not to see more waders. It was a very sunny day, wind from the north west which was very strong on the top of Beachy Head but not felt lower down.

We had hoped to see Ring Ouzel but there were none about. Nevertheless, a brilliant day's birding.

Pat
Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 10:46   #2
joannec

Hi Pat

Sounds like a good day. I go to Cuckmere Haven alot and have also been amazed at the numbers of stonechat, about 40, the last time I went. And at Birling Gap last week over 30, I think it must have been a good year for them. To see 3 peregrines in one day is exceptional. I have only ever seen one once at Cuckmere Haven. (See my BD thread, "A Day at Birling Gap".)

Joanne

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 11:48   #3
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraughan
A brilliant day with my birdwatching group yesterday at these two locations, with nearly 40 species recorded.

Stars of the day were 3 Peregrine Falcon, a flock of 42 Curlew, 3 Rock Pipit, 3 Oystercatcher, a Wheatear and for me a new tick - Stonechat. So many Stonechats in fact that I cannot believe that I haven't seen one before! As this was high on my wish list, I was very happy.

Still plenty of Swallows and Martins about and Meadowpipits in abundance.

An exceptionally high tide, which had just started to race out, meant that the mudbanks were covered and so we were a bit disappointed not to see more waders. It was a very sunny day, wind from the north west which was very strong on the top of Beachy Head but not felt lower down.

We had hoped to see Ring Ouzel but there were none about. Nevertheless, a brilliant day's birding.

Pat
I was there a few weeks back and it's a magical place. The trees were packed with chiffchaff waiting to fly home, are they still around?
Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 19:21   #4
pstraughan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwfromtheden
I was there a few weeks back and it's a magical place. The trees were packed with chiffchaff waiting to fly home, are they still around?

We only heard 1 Chiffchaff making the huittt noise.

Pat
Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 19:24   #5
pstraughan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannechattaway
Hi Pat

Sounds like a good day. I go to Cuckmere Haven alot and have also been amazed at the numbers of stonechat, about 40, the last time I went. And at Birling Gap last week over 30, I think it must have been a good year for them. To see 3 peregrines in one day is exceptional. I have only ever seen one once at Cuckmere Haven. (See my BD thread, "A Day at Birling Gap".)

Joanne
The 3 Peregrine were all near the Beachy Head lighthouse and were roosted for a time on the pinnacles behind it. One was feeding.

Pat
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: