Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

My day today

Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 19:51   #1
lesf

My day today

First I must say that as a newcomer to this wonderful pastime the vast majority of birders have been both courteous and helpful to me when asked, but today sitting in a small hide with little room to spare I spotted what I thought was a Jack Snipe in flight, to confirm this I got by little book out to look for the said bird, while studying this little book a voice whispered in my ear from behind and I quote 'if you don't know what you are doing then please stand up and let someone who does sit down' When I stood to my full hight of 6ft 6inch he kind of went really quiet, and continued to stand while I continued to sit and read my book. I am really glad that this arrogant snob is a rare breed.
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 19:56   #2
deborah4

How rude!! Must say have never experienced that kind of behaviour from anyone in a hide. There are a few 'arrogant' birders though around unfortunately who do have a rather patronising and resentful attitude to people they perceive as knowing less than themselves or find 'threatening' in some way in case they might eventually know more LOL and it's usually the ones who are most competitive too .... thankfully, they are certainly in a minority from my experience.

Did you manage to get a definate Id on the Jack Snipe?

Last edited by deborah4 : Wednesday 3rd January 2007 at 19:59.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 15:07   #3
Checkmate

I agree, very rude! I've not actually been in a hide with other birders since taking up photography in July. What is likely to upset them? I've turned off the auto-focus beep, but what about auto-focus motor noise, and the use of flash?
Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 15:16   #4
Tero
Retired

Good going, for you.
The guy is probably been doing it too long, and has forgotten the fun days of learning and discovery.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 19:40   #5
lesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborah4
How rude!! Must say have never experienced that kind of behaviour from anyone in a hide. There are a few 'arrogant' birders though around unfortunately who do have a rather patronising and resentful attitude to people they perceive as knowing less than themselves or find 'threatening' in some way in case they might eventually know more LOL and it's usually the ones who are most competitive too .... thankfully, they are certainly in a minority from my experience.

Did you manage to get a definate Id on the Jack Snipe?
I did thankyou and I must say I was very pleased with myself, spotted it and identified it, yet another first for me, may this feeling never die
Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 20:58   #6
Ben Nevis

Sadly,we have a few in the North East of Scotland,who think they are "Gods Gift" to birds also.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: