Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Art Exhibition

Old Thursday 25th September 2003, 15:26   #1
Woody

Thumbs up Art Exhibition

Hi All,

A heads-up to anybody in or around London: The Society of Wildlife Artists 40th Annual Exhibition is currently (till Oct 5th) running at the Mall Galleries.

I visited today and it was worth the entry fee just to see the Puffins, Peregrines, and Barn owl by Alistair Proud.

The styles are varied although there is a definate bias towards 'contemporary' images but that's how SWALA has always been.

Lots and lots of waders plus the more exotic, including studies of the Dodo by Chris Jones.

Worth a visit.

Woody
Old Thursday 25th September 2003, 17:52   #2
Grousemore

Thanks for the tip Woody,I'll check it out on the next rainy day.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th September 2003, 18:23   #3
James Armstrong
Flowerpot Man

Hi Woody,

Thanks. Will try to make it if we can.

james

There'll be blue birds over...

Old Friday 26th September 2003, 09:26   #4
Dave G

How did you do on the waders then?
Old Friday 26th September 2003, 09:55   #5
Woody

The way most of them are painted even Michael F and Spud might have a few problems!

Lots of the work is about the general 'feeling' of the birds or their 'essence'.

It doesn't float my boat but it is all valid as Art (with a capital A). Maybe that's a different thing from Wildlife or bird art though?

For me the realist stuff is superb, particularly A. Proud, C. Rose, J. Pointer, C. Jones and one or two others.

Woody
Old Friday 26th September 2003, 21:11   #6
Gill Osborne

Oh, Chris Rose is FAB!!!!!!!! I love, love, love his stuff!!!!
There's an article about the Exhibition in the October issue of Birdwatch on page 43.
I just wish we had exhibitions of wildlife art in the North-East...I think the nearest one is held in Liverpool in April in a car showroom! Have to dig out the name!!!
Other artists that really do it for me are Eric Ennion, Robert Gillmor, Thelma Sykes, Martin Ridley...there are just too many to mention! Some of these artists are like Chris Rose and paint in a realistic style whilst others can capture the jizz and character of the bird in just a few simple lines.............and some are just rubbish(can't use the word I normally use as the moderators will only delete it anyway!)and really should give their brushes away and get another job!!! And pages of ID plates don't excite me either...no matter how accurate or well drawn they are!
At the end of the day though, everyone has their own ideas on what, or who, turns them on!!!
I'm quite tempted to just jump on the train from Newcastle and go down to see the exhibition.......but how would I explain it to my hubby if I was stranded in London???

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: