• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera and Bins accessible at the same time? (1 Viewer)

CCRII

What do you use so that you can have your bins and camera accessible when your birding? I was able to use one of those bino harnesses with the bins attached by one loop on the left side (instead of 2 loops like normal) while my camera was hanging over my left shoulder. This got fatiguing though and I had to drape the camera over my right shoulder which is much stronger. I also had a Lowepro Slingshot draped over my right shoulder which held various supplies.

Tell me about your setups.

Thanks.

Personally I have my bins round my neck with my camera and main lens on a tripod over my right shoulder. I then have a rucksack on my back with other camera gear and my scope in. My bins are fairly light so I can easily use them one handed and it only takes a few seconds to set the tripod down to take a shot. The only think that's slow is getting other bits out of the bag.

If I'm travelling light I'l have my bins round my neck and my camera with a 100-400 lens on one shoulder.

I have a shoulder bag hanging across body on my right-hand side with scope/tripod and other bits inside and across the same shoulder my camera in a pouch, which sits nicely on top of the bag. My bins are normal around the neck.
When i need to spring into action and tack a fast photo i just swing the pouch in front of me, pull the camera out and i'm ready to go. Because the strap is attached to the pouch and not the camera i can just pull the camera out without the strap getting caught up with my bins strap. With a little practice it works fine and i have camera in hand within seconds.

Hi CCRII, as you're based in the US I'm sure you're aware of Op/tech and their range of straps.

Have a look at their Reporter Strap and see if this offers you a solution...

HTH,

Dave.

I have my bins around my neck and my camera in my right hand - with a wrist loop attached. If I need to use both hands on the bins I just let the camera dangle. I'm sure it looks a bit scary, letting all that expensive gear dangle from a plastic strap, but that's what insurance is for.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back