• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Western Palearctic birds (1 Viewer)

Which one’s Andy?

Antpittas (Jul), African Raptors (Clarke Aug), Birds of Japan (Brazil,Jun) as well as three New Naturalist titles and an Eagle Owl monograph from Poyser.

There's also a new British Ladybird guide due in Nov.

A

Last edited:
I'll reconsider but there are other titles I'm anticipating with more excitement.

Here are just a few of my books, not shown are my collection of New Naturalists or shelves full of periodicals, African Bird club, Birding World, Oriental Bird club etc etc and I'm still a rubbish birder....:eek!:

A

Great bookshelf. Every library might be envious. HWPB has high priority on my bird book list. But highest priority in general has HMW 8.

Judging by the new OSME checklist booklet the authors have proposed/made quite a few splits eg Menetrie's Warbler becomes Eastern and Western and 'Basalt Wheatear' becomes a species.
Maybe that will sell a few more copies.

Steve

Judging from the NHBS preview pages Scottish Crossbill is treated as a subspecies of Common. Maybe that will sell a few copies less? ;-)

Are you in a position to tell us what the early sales figures have been like Jim?

There has been discussion about the book here as you're no doubt aware with some who just can't wait and others a little less excited by a photo guide.

A

Last edited:
Anybody thinking of ordering it but put off by the price then Birdguides/Birdwatch have a reasonable pre-publication offer.

Steve

Waiting for a clearance sale!8-P

Not really, but this might well become a candidate. I hope not, after all the efforts that have been put into this magnificent set. But somehow, I wonder whether there is still a high demand, after all the handbooks and other sources that are available these days.

Many will, indeed already are, enthusing about this book, I intend to wait and get more feedback.

It's not cheap, I can't see how it's going to provide much or indeed anything that's not already out there and, I personally have an aversion to photo guides, don't know why, just do.

If the reviews are overwhelmingly in favour, I may be tempted but not in th very near future for me.

Despite having a fairly good collection of books, I bet I'm one of the few, who doesn't have Shirahai's Israel book!

A

Whether you consider the book expensive or not rather depends on how you look at it. A pack of 20 fags, I gather, is about £9, so the coast of the book is equivalent to a week or two of smoking (depending on your consumption rate). These two volumes, if they're all they're cracked up to be, will surely give years of pleasure and enjoyment to their owners. That seems like a good deal to me!

Whether you consider the book expensive or not rather depends on how you look at it. A pack of 20 fags, I gather, is about £9, so the coast of the book is equivalent to a week or two of smoking (depending on your consumption rate). These two volumes, if they're all they're cracked up to be, will surely give years of pleasure and enjoyment to their owners. That seems like a good deal to me!

John,
someone new to birding who doesn't already have creaking bookshelves, may well buy it however, those of us a bit longer in the tooth, may deem it an indulgence that doesn't bring anything new to the table but each to their own. Rather than comparing it to cigarette consumption, as I've never smoked, I'd rather say that it's 25% of an airfair to Africa.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back