• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you would most like to see in the UK in 2014 (1 Viewer)

I know, but irrespective of plastic untickableness I would still like to see one and happy to pay. It is all because of the Shell Guide from 1984 with the 'regulars' and 'vagrants'. I need 4 more regulars, Lady A'sis one of them.

Well, if plastic untickableness is not a problem, there are some caged ones at Lotherton Hall near Leeds.

You can send a cheque in the post :)

I'm hoping to see the red flanked bluetail on Saturday if it can hold on another week for me. Definitely top of the list and any lifers will do but the following would be very nice:

2. Snowy owl
3. Quail
4. Long tailed skua
5. Rustic bunting

Well, if plastic untickableness is not a problem, there are some caged ones at Lotherton Hall near Leeds.

You can send a cheque in the post :)

I'm hoping to see the red flanked bluetail on Saturday if it can hold on another week for me. Definitely top of the list and any lifers will do but the following would be very nice:

2. Snowy owl
3. Quail
4. Long tailed skua
5. Rustic bunting

I suggest you have a week on the Hebs sometime in May, that should give you an even chance of two of those.

John

Soon to be removed from the British list I would imagine.

If the population was self-sustaining in the past, deserving the category C status at the time, then why should the decline/extinction of the population lead to its removal from the British list? Surely it is just that current birds are no longer considered category C.

PS I saw the Bedfordshire Lady A's in March 1987, does this mean my British list must fall by one. Shucks, I will be devastated :)

Last edited:
Soon to be removed from the British list I would imagine.
If the population was self-sustaining in the past, deserving the category C status at the time, then why should the decline/extinction of the population lead to its removal from the British list? Surely it is just that current birds are no longer considered category C.
Lady A's remains on the British List in Cat C6: Former naturalized species – species formerly placed in C1 whose naturalized populations either are no longer self-sustaining or are considered extinct.

Under current rules, it won't be removed from the British List (even when completely extinct in the wild in Britain). Nor will Great Auk!

Just to see one in kind of the right place (rather than a zoo) would be good - maybe I need to up the ante!

The other three are

Barred Warbler, Quail (have heard them but in my world that does not count) and Snow Goose (hypocritically it needs to be a reasonably genuine one, white phase north of the border if poss)!

Rob

Just to see one in kind of the right place (rather than a zoo) would be good - maybe I need to up the ante!

The other three are

Barred Warbler, Quail (have heard them but in my world that does not count) and Snow Goose (hypocritically it needs to be a reasonably genuine one, white phase north of the border if poss)!

Rob

Spurn; Martin Down; Snow Geese available in profusion in Southern Scotland now!

John

I have spent many happy hours over the last two summers at Martin. Never been to Spurn but have missed a couple of BWs. I ought to arrange a meeting with my Scottish salesrep and rope him into the adventure!

I suggest you have a week on the Hebs sometime in May, that should give you an even chance of two of those.

John

Spurn; Martin Down; Snow Geese available in profusion in Southern Scotland now!

John

Actually I will be in Hampshire early to mid may so will have to leave the hebs for another time.

Any more info on Martin Down would be appreciated though with regard to quail.

Cheers

Evans 2001 (Finding Birds in Britain)...
Common Quail Coturnix coturnix
Martin Down – Wiltshire
The extensive downland to the west of Martin village is a traditional site for calling Quail, although birds can be absent in some years. Apart from the odd calling bird in May, mid June to late July is the best period to see or hear them at this site.
A public footpath leads to the downs from the west end of the village and the whole area can be explored via a maze of tracks. The meadows at Martin Down proper are the favoured area, this also being an excellent site for Marbled White and other downland species of butterfly and Stone Curlews.
Martin village is situated south of the A354, nine miles SW of Salisbury.
The cereal fields at nearby Down Farm and Wyke Down are also excellent for Quail. Leave the A354 1 mile SW of the Handley roundabout on a minor road to Monkton Up Wimborne. The birds can be heard either side of the road within the first 600 yards.

If you park on the NW side of the reserve (not Sillens Lane but off the A354) and then walk SE ish that is where I have heard them. In 2012 I heard at least 3 different birds in 2013 I heard sweet FA.

Sad to say I was so desperate to see one I even laid down in the grass to try and hide. God knows what the other walkers thought.

Long-tailed Tits

Saw these Long-tailed Tits on my river walk in Munich. A group of 8 or so were in the trees. I have uploaded a couple of pictures, not particularly good shots as poor light intensity.DSC_1454 copy.jpg

Pair of Hawfinches

Spotted these Hawfinches in my garden feeding on a suet ball. The bird table includes material the birds can use for lining nests.

Attachments

• Hawfinches copy.jpg
    Hawfinches copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 32
1. Black Grouse
2. Honey Buzzard
3. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
4. Hawfinch
5. Quail

Also would love to add:-

6. Barnacle Geese
7. Bean Geese

These would all be lifers for me.

If I had to make a list of birds which I would like to see and are not lifers but do not see that regularly then:-

1. Wood Sandpiper
2. Dartford Warbler
3. Nightingale
4. Turtle Dove
5. Purple Heron

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back