• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiritiri Matangi: Brown Teal or Auckland Island Teal? (1 Viewer)

miksik

photo and birds lover
Sorry, but I repeated my question from forum about identification:

At November I visited Tiritiri Matangi (New Zealand) and I was really exciting! I would like ask you about taxonomy/identification of Teals - especially about Brown Teal. At the leaflet of Tiriti Matangi reserve it is written at at this island lives Brown Teal. However I looked at a new Birds of New Zealand by Robertson and Heather and they wrote at Auckland Islands lives Auckland Island Teal (Anas aucklandica) that is really similar to Brown Teal (Anas chlorotis) but flightless. For example Wikipedia said: "Pateke is the progenitor of the flightless Auckland teal and Campbell teals but all are now recognised as separate species on account of their geographic isolation and their plumage, size and genetic distinctions. The insular A. aucklandica and A. nesiotis are recognised as good species, but are still sometimes referred to as being part of the "brown teal group". The use of the name 'pateke' is now common & is specific for this species in question." So it is my question: which teal is living at Tiritiri Matangi? I asked Tiritiri Matangi twice but without response. Please, see my photos. However I didn't try if teals can flight.

Thanks for any suggestion

Ivan

Attachments

• fb2-IMG_4858_panorama.jpg
    fb2-IMG_4858_panorama.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 43
  • fb2-IMG_4872.jpg
    fb2-IMG_4872.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 47
Hi Ivan. They're Brown Teals on Tiritiri Matangi - like you say, Auckland Island Teal lives on the Auckland Islands which are nowhere near Auckland, they're a subantartcic island south of South Island

Hi Ivan. They're Brown Teals on Tiritiri Matangi - like you say, Auckland Island Teal lives on the Auckland Islands which are nowhere near Auckland, they're a subantartcic island south of South Island

Thank you Dave, it was my misunderstanding - I supposed that the term "Auckland Islands" belongs to islands near Auckland.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back