• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

Our rabbit used to chase all the cats out of the garden - it was only a small ordinary bunny, wasn't aware it was a thing. Lots of cats here. Might have to get another if we start feeding the birds sometime ...

Q - are these territorial killer rabbits tolerant of birds, or is it anything that moves?

Mine tolerates Birds, until the birds actually threatened her. Here's a good example. I had a red-tailed hawk go after her once. She chased off. It was a long time ago.

Three very nice birds indeed. Wonder what will be next!
Nice indeed :t:

It gets harder to get garden/yard lifers if you've done too much birding ... in more recent years my only UK one was Corncrake, and can't realistically expect anything else unfortunately now. Wallcreeper was nearly a W Europe tick from the parents garden in France a few years back (saw it from nearby earlier in the day), same bird though.

Mine tolerates Birds, until the birds actually threatened her. Here's a good example. I had a red-tailed hawk go after her once. She chased off. It was a long time ago.

Ta. We have 3 cats on one side, 2 on the other. Some of them look elderly. Haven't dared start encouraging any birds in yet (it's mostly concrete at the moment, but that will all change).

Don't want to set up a feeding station of local robins, tits and finches for the local felines without thinking it through!

Nice indeed :t:

It gets harder to get garden/yard lifers if you've done too much birding ... in more recent years my only UK one was Corncrake, and can't realistically expect anything else unfortunately now. Wallcreeper was nearly a W Europe tick from the parents garden in France a few years back (saw it from nearby earlier in the day), same bird though.

I can echo that Dan, after 14 years living in France I have only the one lifer from/in the garden, Tengmalm's Owl, which I've heard from both here and our previous place.

As far as new species for the Garden/Yard, that already becomes difficult after just one year, to illustrate: clocked up 90 species in the first year and a bit here, added six new ones in 2018 :
Hoopoe Red Kite Lesser Whitethroat Middle Spotted Woodpecker Merlin Skylark
and just two in 2019: Northern Wheatear and Pine Bunting (the latter was a French tick for me and the first record for Haute-Savoie:t:)

I just need to find two more to reach 100 for our current Garden List, Whinchat, Pygmy Owl and Red-billed Chough all breed within 5kms so they're the glaring omissions I suppose :eek!:

February off to a good start with two additions early this morning:

35 Woodpigeon
36 Siskin

I was beginning to think it would be next winter before I saw a Siskin, this one was all on its own so I don't think it heralds an influx ;)

Attachments

• tarin 1.2.20.jpg
    tarin 1.2.20.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 31
Well, a Red Tailed Hawk just attempted to attack my rabbit. It was getting ready to dive when I saw it hovering over my rabbit run.

I love watching Hawks in action, but I couldnt allow this to happen.

I immediately went outside and yelled at the top of my lungs, "HEY! GET AWAY FROM THERE! Sophie immediately ran into her hutch and the hawk flew off empty handed.

As tough as she is, I need to cover that run.

Jared

Recent days have seen unseasonably warm temperatures. It should come as no surprise, then, that small flocks of

20. Red-winged Blackbirds

have been about.

On the wave of the crests ...

... well not quite, but one of each on consecutive days ...

Mabe garden list:

3rd Feb

27) Goldcrest one very active individual working the back garden hedge in the rain

4th Feb

28) Firecrest one calling and then seen briefly (no bins) in the small front garden conifer

later, whilst going out to hang the washing;

29) Coal Tit
30) Starling one distantly in flight

26) Sparrowhawk

... well not quite, but one of each on consecutive days ...

Mabe garden list:

3rd Feb

27) Goldcrest one very active individual working the back garden hedge in the rain

4th Feb

28) Firecrest one calling and then seen briefly (no bins) in the small front garden conifer

later, whilst going out to hang the washing;

29) Coal Tit
30) Starling one distantly in flight

Firecrest before Starling?!

What the what?!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back