• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope eyepiece MCII 25x-75x for ED50 and ED82 - missing seal? (1 Viewer)

erikdkdk

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, which i have followed for some time - having the ED50 and the ED82.

I have just received the zoom Fieldscope eyepiece MCII 25x-75x (as new) and suspect that it is missing a rubber-like o-ring seal just above the screw-mount. My 27x/40x/50x wide MC eyepiece has such a seal, and I would appreciate if anyone can tell me if it is missing on my new eyepiece, as I will then return it.
I'm planning to use it in wet weather also.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Erik

Erik:

Welcome to the Birdforum. I just checked on this and you are right,
my 25-75 Zoom eyepiece does not have an oring either, I checked both
of mine.

Mine were purchased new by me, and that must be how they come.
I also checked a couple of other fixed ones and they do have an o-ring.

So, you have a good question, maybe someone else has more information
on this.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thanks for both your welcome and quick reply.

It just seemed strange to me that it could be waterproof without such a seal, but I'm happy now that it is not missing.

Regards Erik

Yeah, I took my zoom to Nikon several years ago and they looked it up in their parts manual and confirmed it does not have the O-ring. They even showed me an "exploded" drawing to prove it.

Hi Jerry

Thanks for both your welcome and quick reply.

It just seemed strange to me that it could be waterproof without such a seal, but I'm happy now that it is not missing.

Regards Erik

An O´ring costs 5 cents..If you think it would improve the fit and weatherproofing ,I dont think you shuold hessitate to fit one..I think is a good idea...Even if it would have been missing the hassle to return the eyepiece would have been much bigger than buying the fixture!!!!!!!!

That is odd. Mine doesn't have an O-ring either. I'm at a loss to understand why the zoom doesn't have one but all my fixed EPs do.

Since you intend on using it in wet weather Erik, I suggest you find an appropriate sized O-ring to put on there anyway.

Maybe the zoom eyepiece is not fully waterproof. The front end is not sealed, so it's certainly not waterproof when it's off the scope. Could be that the zoom ring mechanism isn't fully sealed either so that an O-ring placed at the mounting threads wouldn't completely seal the eyepiece. The fixed eyepieces would be much easier to seal since they don't have any moving parts. I believe Nikon's marketing language, if read narrowly, claims full waterproofness only for the scope bodies. Another question for Mike?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back