• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Setup (1 Viewer)

JGalicki

Hey All:

I've been shooting fall warblers handheld with my 1DX and 400mm DO rig. Getting great opportunities but most are shaded in some manner that I cant fix in post-processing. That said, I'm considering a flash setup, but have no experience with flash. Does anyone have a good reference point for what equipment to buy and how to use? I may be getting a 600mm f4 so I'd like something to work with my current and future setup.

Thx

Josh

I don't have much experience of using flash with long lenses yet but I have a setup that seems to work well (so far!) for me.
I am currently using a Canon 540 EZ, as I only use it in manual and at low power any old flash (that the camera will trigger) is OK for me. This is coupled with a home made "Better Beamer" on a home made flash bracket.
PM me if you want the details.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back